Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Gas Milage Tips And Mods? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8882)

Lext 03-12-2006 11:01 AM

Anyone have any ood Tips or Mods?
I Have a 03 h2, I am Averaging about 11.6, which is not bad. Is there anything that anyone has done that actually increases that number? Again, I Knwew what i was getting into, ( I also have a V8 Cj5 and a Lexus Lx 470).
Would a Supercharger help? Which Chip is the best? What about Cold air Intake?

bigolH2 03-12-2006 11:20 AM

Ive also got an 03 and its on 38's. I put a volant intake system on it and it increased a whoppin 1mpg. The performance programmer is on the way and its supposed to help a little too so Ill let you know how that works on my truck when im done installing it. My total right now is 9.9 so youre doin a little better than me!

rocketw19 03-12-2006 07:01 PM

i have a corsa exaust and a magnuson super charger and i went from 10.7 to 9.4 mpg avg. i think it droped cuzz i step into it a lil more now not crazy but a lil bit.

Lext 03-12-2006 08:42 PM

Thanks Guys,
So Which Mod If Any has anyone added that helped? The Hypertech Programmer Claims Better Fuel economy. anyone try that?

Has anyone done anything that actually raised the average?

MONSTERMATT 03-12-2006 09:57 PM

i think your gonna hard pressed to find anything that will "noticeably" increase mpg , but if u do, let us know, i have the hypertech programmed for 37x13.50 tires and i havent had any luck with gas mileage from i think using criuse control might help on the highway thou

Lext 03-12-2006 10:10 PM

Thanks Matt,
I Was Just trying to figure out if there was anything worth trying.
I LOVE the Vehicle, I Bought it to use as a Rolling Billboard for my florida Condo Rentals Business. I Am an Avid Offroader as well.

Anyone try E85? Is the Hummer E85 compatible?

johndjmix1 03-14-2006 04:39 AM

A lot of it is really all in the way you drive. If I set the cruize at 62mph I will get 15 mpg in my H2 on the highway.

Take it EXTREMELY easy of stoplights (I.E. Let everyone fly ahead of you) and leave plenty of room in front of you at all times so you dont need to use the brake. I do this a lot in stop and go traffic, its amazing how many times people hit the brake in stop and go....if you just leave a little room you will probly hit the brake once for every 50 times everyone else does.

Do all of this for a day and check your milage. You will be amazed. Remember GO EXTREMELY easy off stops, and never push the gas more than 1/4 of the way.

Granted I hate driving like that, but it does save TONS of $ on fillups. Think of it this way...u cruize slow and the cute girls have more time to check you out =)

--John

www.JohnHasMoreFun.com

KenP 03-14-2006 05:37 AM

Frankly, if you're worrying about the fuel consumption, then you should have bought something else.

HummBob 03-14-2006 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by KenP:
Frankly, if you're worrying about the fuel consumption, then you should have bought something else.

x2

MONSTERMATT 03-14-2006 11:27 AM

yeah , seriously hummer was not meant to have good gas mileage if i was worried i would have got a hybird or whatever the fukk they are called but the above ideas will save a little like the cruise control idea

Lext 03-19-2006 11:17 PM

Now, See, i New I would get that!

The First Thing I Said Was, I Knew What I Was Getting into. The Hummer is actually the best vehicle I own on Gas Mileage ( The LX470 Actually gets about 2 miles bettwr But Requires Super. The Jeep ( CJ5 with a 360 V8 Gets about 8 because of the gearing and 35's).

tomp 03-19-2006 11:42 PM

Here is what I did....

I previously owned an 8.1 litre Chevy 2500HD. The gas milage was so bad, I bought an H2 and now I get better mileage.

Moral of the story, buy something else if you are worried about gas mileage

Dug 03-19-2006 11:49 PM

Frankly, the guy doesnt give a **** about fuel mileage. Did you see his list of rides? But it doesnt hurt to ask for help about more mileage anymore than some of you donks that need help with more lift or more power.

sbmike 03-20-2006 01:26 AM

x2 what tomp said. I had the 2500 Avalanche and am getting much better mileage with the H2. On the other hand, I'm also getting older and racing from traffic light to traffic light has lost much of the appeal it once had so I've been doing what Johndjmix1 has been doing. My overall average gas consumption since buying the truck almost 3 years ago is 12.3 mpg city/highway and miraculously I'm still making it from here to there.

tomp 03-20-2006 01:48 AM

Something to consider:

Bottled water cost more than gas and which do you think is easier to obtain?

Bottled water averages about $1 for a small bottle and that equates to about $8 per gallon. Go figure...

rocketw19 03-20-2006 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tomp:
Something to consider:

Bottled water cost more than gas and which do you think is easier to obtain?

Bottled water averages about $1 for a small bottle and that equates to about $8 per gallon. Go figure...
haha thats funny coca cola sells water for more than coke and the water is the same they put in coke.

johndjmix1 03-20-2006 06:15 AM

Im hooked on that FIJI water its like $2 for a bottle at 7/11.

--John

Lext 03-20-2006 10:32 AM

O.K., Thanks Dug..
I Know where these guys are coming from, Thats Cool.

Now , Im Not Sure how we got to coca cola. Let me Refraise the question:

Did anyone Notice a Fuel economy Differance with the following Upgrades-
( As I Said, I am Already Getting 11.6 ( Pretty Happy With That).

Cold Air Kit -
SuperCharger-
Cat Back system-
Programmer/Chip?

I Am Considering these and the hummer dealer ( Whom I Do not Trust, Since they where closed down a few months back because the owner got caught dealing cocaine), Is claiming better performance ( Duh! ) and BETTER FUEL economy.

I Don't Mind Dropping the cash, I Just don't want to End up getting 7 miles per gallon because, we drive this vehicle all over the country.

If Someone could give me an honest opinion without desending into the realm of bottled water and coke, that would be great..

-Lex

sbmike 03-20-2006 11:46 AM

Lext: One of the things you will find out very quickly in this forum is that discussions morph very quickly from their original topic. It's something you will need to get used to if you want to keep your sanity . To your immediate question indirectly, I have not spent any money on the mods you mention because after reading the archives of this forum I was not able to find anyone who could conclusively quantify any gain in fuel economy. I thought about purchasing a catback exhaust system which purportedly improves fuel economy but I wanted it more for the noise. I finally decided I like the quiet rumble the vehicle already makes and left it alone. Don't know if that helps any but there it is... no morphs either .

bigolH2 03-20-2006 12:15 PM

My Volant intake increased my MPGs by a whoppin 1.5 mpg! lol. but hey, if you add those 1.5's up, thats quite a few more miles you can rock the truck down the street!

Screeper 03-20-2006 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sbmike:
Lext: One of the things you will find out very quickly in this forum is that discussions morph very quickly from their original topic. It's something you will need to get used to if you want to keep your sanity . To your immediate question indirectly, I have not spent any money on the mods you mention because after reading the archives of this forum I was not able to find anyone who could conclusively quantify any gain in fuel economy. I thought about purchasing a catback exhaust system which purportedly improves fuel economy but I wanted it more for the noise. I finally decided I like the quiet rumble the vehicle already makes and left it alone. Don't know if that helps any but there it is... no morphs either .

I also have tried the intakes and exhaust only to return most of it back to stock with the exception of the airaid air filter, and a programmer. (11.6 mpg) Also think about how long it would take to make up the 700 to 1000 dollars in cost if they did work. You might save five bucks a tank. 100 to 200 tanks later you might break even. If you want a small performance gain do it. If you want the gas savings, not worth it at all. The only big performance gain = supercharger IMO

Lext 03-20-2006 02:12 PM

THANKS GUYS!
Thats Awesome Feedback.

Hey I Notice a Lot of You are in South Florida. I Live in N.C. now but grew up in Fort Laud. (Coral Ridge).

I Used to Take an Old IH Scout out to what is now the area around Broward mall and Four wheel all the time when i was in High School ( At Nova, in the late 70's).

That Stuff is all Gone now though I Bet!

I Love this vehicle. I have only had it 2 weeks but I can't wipe the smile off my Face!

KenP 03-20-2006 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lext:
THANKS GUYS!
Thats Awesome Feedback.

Hey I Notice a Lot of You are in South Florida. I Live in N.C. now but grew up in Fort Laud. (Coral Ridge).
Hey, where are you down there?

Lext 03-20-2006 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Charlotte -
Hey One More Q:

I Need to Get the 30,000 Mile Service Done -
Hummer Dealer wants 600.00 The Chevy Dealer Says thats crazy, and Say's they will do everything for 200.00.

Is there anything that only a hummer Dealer would be able to do that I am Not Aware of??

KenP 03-20-2006 06:57 PM

Not that I'm aware of.

If you're on the left, you should smile. If you're on the right, stop looking at the front row tits.

Lext 03-20-2006 07:05 PM

Im on The Left ( That Was Pre Hummer!) Les Paul is on the right, Thats exactly what he is looking at. Not bad for 90!
:>

Dewi2005 03-20-2006 08:04 PM

Hey Lext,

I think Screeper and SBMike summed it up just fine. I added:
0-Corsa exhaust = decrease in MPG.
0-Headers = no change in MPG
0-Air raid intake = no change in MPG
0-Hypertech programmer = small improvement in MPG
0-Intake spacer = small improvement in MPG
0-Supercharger = HUGE increase in power and fun, but decrease in MPG.. (Worth the change in my opinion)

Enjoy your H2... they are AWESOME, and get used to being flipped off by granola eating, tofu farting ferries!!

Lext 03-20-2006 08:09 PM

Thanks Guys, I Am Just Going to Pass on the upgrades. It Doesn't seem like there is enough of a Benefit ( If at All). I Am Happy with the performance. i have a Teenage son so Somehow I feel like i Might regret the Supercharger! :>

Lext 03-20-2006 08:11 PM

Quote:

Enjoy your H2... they are AWESOME, and get used to being flipped off by granola eating, tofu farting ferries!!

Thats So Funny, It Happened to me today ( Other car was a Dodge Neon! ), Thats Gotta be fun to drive..

KenP 03-21-2006 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lext:
Thanks Guys, I Am Just Going to Pass on the upgrades. It Doesn't seem like there is enough of a Benefit ( If at All). I Am Happy with the performance. i have a Teenage son so Somehow I feel like i Might regret the Supercharger! :>
Smart man. Very smart man.

So, coming to Moab?

Lext 03-23-2006 11:02 PM

Wish I Could, i am Tied Up Till Widows O.S. (VISTA) Ships.

i Watched the lionsback H2 Video Someone posted. Thats Freakin Awesome. I Love my Hummer!

boo4u 03-25-2006 12:59 PM

Magnacharger, Extreme Flow CatBack exhaust = 10 mpg. Supercharger is worth every penny and future ones as well with the fun factor!

31_bandits 05-31-2006 04:03 AM

Re: Gas Milage Tips And Mods?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigolH2
My Volant intake increased my MPGs by a whoppin 1.5 mpg! lol. but hey, if you add those 1.5's up, thats quite a few more miles you can rock the truck down the street!

Was that 1.5 mpg averaged over a few tanks, so as to make a pretty solid estimate?

NEOCON1 05-31-2006 04:06 AM

up your highway pressures 5 psi , this is the best way to increase your mileage , next to pushing it

31_bandits 05-31-2006 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lext
Anyone have any ood Tips or Mods?
I Have a 03 h2, I am Averaging about 11.6, which is not bad. Is there anything that anyone has done that actually increases that number? Again, I Knwew what i was getting into, ( I also have a V8 Cj5 and a Lexus Lx 470).
Would a Supercharger help? Which Chip is the best? What about Cold air Intake?

Hey Lext,

i have the same curiosity - how to improve mileage if possible.

I'm very surprised by how GOOD the mileage on my H2 has been. The dealer suggested that getting <10 around town shouldn't be a surprise, and even suggested that <10 on the highway in adverse (75, into wind, whatever they said) might happen.

But as of today, my vehicle has used 255.7 gallons of gas over 3292 miles, or an avg. of 12.9. When i got it, it had 50 or 60 miles and an average of 3 or 4 (i can't exactly remember, although i think i wrote it down somewhere), so in the time i've driven it its averaged about 13.5.

The first tank was 11.5, the 2nd most recent tank was 14.5, and today i put on 400 miles on the highway - first into the wind, then turn around with the wind for a round-trip, and got 14.6 with an avg speed of 65-70. 12.5 into and almost 17 with the wind.

:confused: It doesn't seem to me that i drive anything but normal. And there are 2 off-roading sessions on that, during which i probably got 4 mpg

Some things that i have noticed are that mileage drops off fairly quickly as speeds go above 55 on the highway. you might pay 1mpg for 5 more MPH. I don't idle alot as part of my normal living, so that helps & i've always been fond of coasting to stops if i can rather than using the brakes. But its not like i'm driving like a hybrid dude & causing 10 car pile ups by merging onto the freeway at 40 in an ongoing attempt to approach the EPA ratings.

beats the crap out of me. but my mileage isn't really any worse than any full size pickup or large SUV. :confused:

The closest thing there is here to a hummer "tuner" shop touted some Airraid intakes and whatever exhausts as adding 2-3mpg, but that guys H2 reads 8.7. I know he tows things with it alot (no towing for me) & it idles around in their lot often, and they have alot of performance parts & generally drive like raped apes, but i can't figure how they think they get 2-3 mpg more. they were getting 6 before?

So i might try an intake or whatever... but only if somebody agrees to take it back if it mucks things up.

31_bandits 05-31-2006 04:26 AM

anyway, my truck will have a 14mpg avg after a few more tanks.

-i run premium fuel (is about 10-20 cents more here)
-mileage has gone up with each tank except the offroad ones
-my last 2 tanks were the best, and i removed the NERF steps and the roof cross bars. those cut down on wind noise at highway speeds, so maybe if they were noticably contributing to noise they were noticably worsening aerodynamics
-i have 17" aftermarket rims and factory tires and have never adjusted tire pressure (i'm learning)
-no lifts/lowerings/engine mods

whatever that's worth

Dewi2005 05-31-2006 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenP

Who's Frank??? :D

menuserve.com 05-31-2006 08:25 PM

what do most people keep their tire pressure at?

GeorgeSSSS 05-31-2006 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndjmix1
A lot of it is really all in the way you drive. If I set the cruize at 62mph I will get 15 mpg in my H2 on the highway.

Take it EXTREMELY easy of stoplights (I.E. Let everyone fly ahead of you) and leave plenty of room in front of you at all times so you dont need to use the brake. I do this a lot in stop and go traffic, its amazing how many times people hit the brake in stop and go....if you just leave a little room you will probly hit the brake once for every 50 times everyone else does.

Do all of this for a day and check your milage. You will be amazed. Remember GO EXTREMELY easy off stops, and never push the gas more than 1/4 of the way.

Granted I hate driving like that, but it does save TONS of $ on fillups. Think of it this way...u cruize slow and the cute girls have more time to check you out =)

--John

www.JohnHasMoreFun.com

I've tried John's suggestions and they work. Here's a few more:

The H2 is heavy. When you are going down a hill or slight grade, take your foot off the gas. You'll be surprised how well the truck maintains its speed.

Correct tire pressure is 37 PSI. Most gas stations, etc., will inflate the tires to 32 or 33 without thinking. Make sure they are inflated to 37 psi when they are cold.

Use the cruise control whenever possible and safe. Especially on a freeway, it gets good milage.

All of this gets natural after a while and you don't notice it.

Best regards,

George SSSS