Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H2 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   fading black bumpers... (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29553)

Motohead 09-06-2007 06:20 AM

fading black bumpers...

For the last month and a half my truck has had to sit ouside becasue I am waiting for the new home to be finished. In that time the bumpers have faded real bad, probably like everyone elses. My question is has anyone tried to get Hummer to replace them?

frenzy1 09-06-2007 06:43 AM

Re: fading black bumpers...

Heck no. I use a spray to get 'em shiny again

Frenzy
Belgium

jmsspratlin 09-06-2007 07:08 AM

Try Mother's Back to Black cream. It works great and also protects

tower 09-06-2007 07:31 AM

3M - Marine Vinyl Cleaner & Restorer

jmsspratlin 09-06-2007 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tower
3M - Marine Vinyl Cleaner & Restorer

How long does the "restore" usually last?

SnakeH2 09-06-2007 12:11 PM

Good discussion here.
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...hlight=%22ts-1

TS-1 is the way to go. Been using it for a few months now and it is great! Very little is needed to cover all the trim. I cover all the trim, then wipe it with a damp cloth after. It looks shiny and wet, but has no greasy residue.
http://www.autocosmeticproducts.com/Armordillots1.htm

Good luck

mikejr 09-06-2007 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmsspratlin
Try Mother's Back to Black cream. It works great and also protects

I agree...been using Mothers Back to Black for quite a while. Good stuff. There are a whole host of products out there from what i've read on the forum here. But the Mother's was easy to find and wasnt all that costly.

CONRAD II 09-06-2007 04:01 PM

TS-1

MDimitri 09-06-2007 08:36 PM

TS-1

This stuff works extremely well!!

Big Jag 09-07-2007 01:42 AM

Used Mothers Back to Black for years. Started using Adam's VRT and like it much better.

jmsspratlin 09-07-2007 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Jag
Used Mothers Back to Black for years. Started using Adam's VRT and like it much better.

Never heard of that, where do you get it? How long does one application last (through rain, etc)

Big Jag 09-07-2007 01:56 AM

Quote:

Never heard of that, where do you get it? How long does one application last (through rain, etc)

Got it from Adamspolishes.com. It is a cream as opposed to Mothers being a liquid. I think it goes on much easier, its not as messy, and does not attract dust and dirt the way mothers does. Holds up much better than Mothers through rain in my opinion. I started using many of Adams's products and they are all great. Along with the VRT (vinyl rubber tire) I love their detail spray, undercarriage spray and window cleaner. They also have the best microfiber detail towels and drying towels. For the VRT cream use their detail sponges to apply.

SnakeH2 09-07-2007 12:12 PM

I've used Mothers and TS-1 blows it away. It doesn't attract dust and has lasted four months before having to reapply.

Motohead 09-07-2007 08:21 PM

I've been using polishes... but it gets old. Was just wondering from a "defective" standpoint if anyone has tried to warranty it.

mikejr 09-07-2007 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motohead
I've been using polishes... but it gets old. Was just wondering from a "defective" standpoint if anyone has tried to warranty it.

I havent tried to on the H2's but i've tried on the first avalanche that I had. It was a 2003 with all the cladding and the deck on the back turned from black to nearly white. I complained but got nowhere. Tried to blame it on me using some sort of "armor-all" on it. When actually I didnt do anything with it. dont think you will get anywhere with the warranty route....

tower 09-07-2007 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motohead

Why not wonder from a "healthy" standpoint instead?:dancingbanana::dancingbanana:

HUM GOOD 09-08-2007 01:00 AM

I was in a parking lot talking about this today......he had a GMC and all the plastic looked new......not shiney or greasey, just new.....said he uses "antibacterial soap" ....says he keep the fade out.

Anyone concur with this.....tomorrow I'm gonna grab the container out of the bathroom and give it a go. I'll check back.

tower 09-08-2007 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUM GOOD
.....said he uses "antibacterial soap"....tomorrow I'm gonna grab the container out of the bathroom and give it a go. I'll check back.

:excited: I feel the "Gold Bond" thread reemerging! :excited:

TXSUT 09-18-2007 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakeH2
TS-1 is the way to go. Been using it for a few months now and it is great! Very little is needed to cover all the trim. I cover all the trim, then wipe it with a damp cloth after. It looks shiny and wet, but has no greasy residue.

I used TS-1 for the first time this weekend, on every bit of exterior plastic. I think I learned a lesson, though, and that's not to let it dry for too long before wiping with the damp cloth. On the areas where I let it sit for a while before wiping, it seems to have dried hard and glazed over...I can see spots that seem to have a thicker layer of dried TS-1, a bit shinier than the other areas. It seems more prevalent on the less-textured pieces, like roof rails, body trim, etc.

Snake, any thoughts on this?

Pete

tower 09-18-2007 02:31 AM

Quote:

How long does the "restore" usually last?

I haven't used it for that long, but it still looks good after ~3 washes.