Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   PROPANE CONVERSION H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17151)

2blue 05-30-2006 08:23 AM

PROPANE CONVERSION H2

I was driving down deerfoot) calgary) and saw a hummer h2 with a propane sticker on one of the windows....I followed the truck to a gas station where in fact he filled up his truck with propane...Anyone here seen that conversion?..Would be interesting to have. $49 cents a litre right now :)

MDimitri 05-30-2006 02:34 PM

Re: PROPANE CONVERSION H2

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2blue
I was driving down deerfoot) calgary) and saw a hummer h2 with a propane sticker on one of the windows....I followed the truck to a gas station where in fact he filled up his truck with propane...Anyone here seen that conversion?..Would be interesting to have. $49 cents a litre right now :)

Calgary?? Kool!! :) I'm in Calgary... I have not seen this truck...where in the city did this person fill up at? Are you a member of the Canadian Hummer Club Alberta Chapter? PM me and I will fill you in. :D

I would be wondering as to how much torque and HP's he is loosing running the propane...it's a nice clean fuel, not to mention cheap, but it does have it's pitfalls. When on a trail you can't risk popping the tank with a sharp rock or you'll kill yourself and the next closest person to your vehicle, it must have a really good shield around it. But in the end, it's a very good idea!

Cheers!

2blue 05-30-2006 04:33 PM

Hello! Yes im from Calgary! And NO this is the only website i have seen so far. Havent done much checking though. Like i said i was driving down deerfoot when i saw this truck. I followed him to centex" on blackfoot trail.

So i love my new truck and all so i emailed a few places about this propane conversion and this is what they told me:

I wrote this: I was wondering what kinda cost and effectiveness would be propane on 2003 hummer h2? Would you tackle the job?

The H2 has been converted a few times out west and has been successful. Most
vehicles save about 40% of their fuel costs when there is a 50% spread in
the price of the two fuels. The cost of the conversion is $4900 + taxes.

If you are interested, I will phone my supplier to get all the information I
can on the Hummer such as tank size and driving range.

Rudy Grant

MDimitri 05-30-2006 05:33 PM

Quote:

The H2 has been converted a few times out west and has been successful. Most
vehicles save about 40% of their fuel costs when there is a 50% spread in
the price of the two fuels. The cost of the conversion is $4900 + taxes.

If you are interested, I will phone my supplier to get all the information I
can on the Hummer such as tank size and driving range.

Rudy Grant

Absolutely keep me posted and let me know what you find out!

Cheers

2blue 05-30-2006 05:42 PM

YES will do! i already emailed him back and just waiting for reply. Maybe if we get acouple guys that would like to do this swap we could get a discount. I personally would have gas/ propane setup. Just in case im driving in some rural area and there's no propane around...lol...

Dewi2005 05-30-2006 06:48 PM

Quote:

YES will do! i already emailed him back and just waiting for reply. Maybe if we get acouple guys that would like to do this swap we could get a discount. I personally would have gas/ propane setup. Just in case im driving in some rural area and there's no propane around...lol...

This would be a great alternative, but you are correct in the comment about needing to 'dual-fuel' this setup. I believe the dual-fuel is the default setup.. at least that is the way I recall it being done in the past.

Keep us all updated on this please.. ;)

31_bandits 05-31-2006 02:36 AM

This is on my to-look-into list as i try to sort out everything i want done to the truck & get it over with. It seems much better to have no truck for 1 month than to have no truck for 1 week 4 or 5 times.

I had at one point found a place that was referenced in a General Motors .pdf file as licensed to convert the Vortec engines, but i can't re-locate it, which sucks.

I second the motion above to keep us updated, if you would.

I would guess that the tank can't be inside the truck where the '03s had their spare?

2blue 06-02-2006 08:50 AM

Still waiting on a reply from the propane guys. In the toronto area there's an autopropane.ca guy refered by them to do this swap. But as of now im waiting on somewhere in alberta area

PARAGON 06-02-2006 02:03 PM

First, it's not that smart of an idea to go full propane and already alluded to. An employee a while back had a dual set up in a pickup but part of the bed was taken up by the 30 gallon propane tank.

Obviously, in the H2 there is no room available to be practical for having both the regular fuel tank and an additional propane tank.

Not to mention propane costs is just as volatile as gasoline. So you spend $5K to get 75% of the power, it might cost a little less per gallon but you have to burn more to go the same distance. I'm thinking it's a dumb idea for a H2.

2blue 06-04-2006 04:51 PM

Canada stats show fuel will hit $1.30 a liter this summer. I can't see propane being a bad idea at .49 to .51 a liter.

PARAGON 06-04-2006 05:14 PM

Quote:

Canada stats show fuel will hit $1.30 a liter this summer. I can't see propane being a bad idea at .49 to .51 a liter.

So, you have to drive at least 25K-30K just to recoup the costs of the conversion to get a vehicle that has 75-80% less HP and torque. Go for it.

cow boy 06-05-2006 03:59 AM

I dont know where U would put the bottle but I put one in a 4x4 1 ton utility truck could use gas or flip 2 swiches and run on propane. Cost with out botle is under $900.00 plus 3 or more hr's laber. The parts came from LA Calif. very simple to get then, now I cant remember the company . We want to put a dual fuel kit on 454 suburban, the bottle could go on the frame rail the same as U see on some utility vans . There is a little power loss when running on propane. If any body knows the name of the company in LA with the propane convertion and dual fuel kits let us know. Propane is very good dosnt turn the eng. oil brown, low air carbons. I have run 2 gen sets an the truck I had on propane love it, but is not for every one + H2 would only accept a small bottle if u want dual fuel. Any gas eng. will run on propane.

2blue 06-05-2006 07:39 AM

Well im just looking for a conversion kit for the engine not the truck. I will run long and narrow tanks along frame with them painted black and keep my nerf bars to block them out as much as possible. I just don't know where to find such tanks.

This is what i have figured it out. Im in canada and the price in calgary is $1.03 at most gas stations....

Calculate Your Immediate Savings

Input the price you pay for Gas or Diesel Per Gallon:4.84
Input the price you pay for Propane or Natural Gas Per Gallon:$2.40
We will estimate the difference in cost:$4.33
Estimate the miles you drive per month : 2000
Estimate the miles per gallon your vehicle gets: 10
We will estimate the Gallons used per month :200.00
Your cost of Gas or Diesel per month :$968.00
Your cost if using Propane or Natural Gas :$480.00

Savings if using an Alternative Fuel Per month :$488.00
1st year Savings :$5,856.00
5 Year Forecast :$29,280.00

Now each hummer will get different fuel milage just due to what you carry and how heavy youre foot is...mine is very heavy :) This conversion will be done on my rig 100% just need to find out who sells it and what not. Here's the link to where you enter all youre personal info and see what you come up with.

http://www.hybridfuelsystems.com/