Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Removing air suspension, replacing with coils (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42682)

Egan 07-01-2012 04:13 AM

Removing air suspension, replacing with coils

Replacing the H2 air suspension with coil springs:

This is actually a really straightforward project and should only take an hour or so. This eliminates the sagging in the rear end when the air system leaks, because, well, there is no more air to leak! The parts can be had from gmpartsdirect.com:

Left coil: 25956182
Right coil: 25956183
Spacers (x4): 15713853

Step 1: Remove the rear wheels (will make your life easier) and get the H2 up in the air. Then support the rear end. You?re going to disconnect the rear end and axle from the suspension so without support it will fall to the floor!

Egan 07-01-2012 04:14 AM

Re: Removing air suspension, replacing with coils

Step 2: Disconnect the shock and swaybar from the axle. For the shocks, remove the bolts at the bottom. For the swaybars, it will be easier to remove the bolt up top.

Step 3: Lift the rest of the truck off the axle and/or lower the axle.

Step 4: Next I went after the air system itself, dropping the compressor and tank, disconnecting the wires, and cutting the airline feeds to both airbags as well as the tire inflator in the bed.

I just taped up the wiring harness and zip-tied it up under the bumper.

Egan 07-01-2012 04:15 AM

Step 5: Now take out the airbags. Simply turn clockwise and they will come free.

You should also remove the spacers the airbags rested on.

Step 6: Install the bottom spacers, install the coil springs with the top spacers on them, and then lower the H2/raise the axle.

Step 7: Reconnect the shock and swaybar bolts. 77 ft-lbs for the lower shock bolt, 53 ft-lbs for the swaybar bolt.

Egan 07-01-2012 04:16 AM

Finished product:

Once it settles in, I may have to raise the front end at the keys to level it out.

HummerJim 07-01-2012 04:47 PM

Nice write-up!! Well done!!

VegasGuy 07-02-2012 12:05 AM

I agree. Great write up and excellent pics, Egan. Kudos!

pdxrealtor 07-02-2012 12:15 AM

Great info! Thanks!

Is it possible to keep the compressor operational? A few uses for air a side from the suspension. Even though it is a week compressor system....

Egan 07-02-2012 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxrealtor
Great info! Thanks!

Is it possible to keep the compressor operational? A few uses for air a side from the suspension. Even though it is a week compressor system....

You could keep it in although I think it is controlled off the level sensors and switch in the cab. It probably weighs 30 lbs so I tore it out. I'm going to use the mount the compressors were on to mount my air horns, tank, and compressor. I'm going to see if I can tee the bed inflator port into the air line off the tank. But that write-up is for next weekend. :)

fyr145 07-02-2012 02:41 PM

Thats what I was wondering, I have the spring set up but got the compressor to have on board in case I needed air for my tires or any other inflatable goodies and just use it for that alone.

Egan,

If you arent going to use your old harness, is there anyway that I could get it from you so I could use it for this purpose?

fyr145

Egan 07-02-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyr145
Thats what I was wondering, I have the spring set up but got the compressor to have on board in case I needed air for my tires or any other inflatable goodies and just use it for that alone.

Egan,

If you arent going to use your old harness, is there anyway that I could get it from you so I could use it for this purpose?

fyr145

It looks like the wiring on the truck joins up with a much larger wiring loom at the bumper and then runs to the front of the H2. Pulling out just the air controls may be difficult. As for the wiring at the compressor end, I have it all pulled apart and you're welcome to any of it.

In fact, if anyone needs spare parts (compressor x2, tank, airbags x2) let me know.

RJ03 07-02-2012 04:42 PM

How much would you want for the air compressor assembly? Thanks, RJ

Easy Ed 07-02-2012 05:01 PM

Pulled all mine out in 2007 :D

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36217&stc=1&d=11712447 65

Link to post http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24471

fyr145 07-03-2012 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egan
It looks like the wiring on the truck joins up with a much larger wiring loom at the bumper and then runs to the front of the H2. Pulling out just the air controls may be difficult. As for the wiring at the compressor end, I have it all pulled apart and you're welcome to any of it.

In fact, if anyone needs spare parts (compressor x2, tank, airbags x2) let me know.

I need the wiring at the compressor end that it plugs into. It looks like is a 24 pin connection and theres another smaller 2 pin connector near it as well. You show it in one of your pics that says you zip tied it to the rear bumper.

Do you still have the bolts to the compressor too, so that I can get mine mounted?

Let me how much shipping is and I can send you payment via Paypal.

Thx,

fyr145

Joe 07-03-2012 01:22 PM

I'd be interested in your ride height sensors (both sides) if they are good and not broken (which looking at how clean your under carriage is I guess they are perfect :) ).

Just PM me if interested w.price

Thanks

Egan 07-03-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyr145
I need the wiring at the compressor end that it plugs into. It looks like is a 24 pin connection and theres another smaller 2 pin connector near it as well. You show it in one of your pics that says you zip tied it to the rear bumper.

Do you still have the bolts to the compressor too, so that I can get mine mounted?

Let me how much shipping is and I can send you payment via Paypal.

Thx,

fyr145

If you need the wiring that goes from the harness I tied up under the bumper to the compressor & solenoid, I have that. I also have the nuts and bolts for the compressors (nuts&bolts for the front of each, nut only for the rear - there are studs built into the mounting plate).

Keep in mind that this is the 2 compressor setup.

Send me a PM with your zip and I'll get a freight quote.

Egan 07-03-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe
I'd be interested in your ride height sensors (both sides) if they are good and not broken (which looking at how clean your under carriage is I guess they are perfect :) ).

Just PM me if interested w.price

Thanks

I left these in place, so let me see if I can pull them out tomorrow. I'll check the service manual, but do you have a picture of what they look like / where they are.

Joe 07-03-2012 03:55 PM

If you look inside rear wheel wells towards front of truck you should see them. Looks like a little piston like thing attached to rear suspension and connected with a cable/plug. Mine are covered with an undercoating from previous owner but I think they simply bolt in with one or two bolts. I don't necessarily need the wiring harness from the sensors back but if you find its easy to take that out as well i'd be interested in it as well. Really just need the sensors themselves though.

fyr145 07-03-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egan
If you need the wiring that goes from the harness I tied up under the bumper to the compressor & solenoid, I have that. I also have the nuts and bolts for the compressors (nuts&bolts for the front of each, nut only for the rear - there are studs built into the mounting plate).

Keep in mind that this is the 2 compressor setup.

Send me a PM with your zip and I'll get a freight quote.

PM sent

Egan 07-03-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe
If you look inside rear wheel wells towards front of truck you should see them. Looks like a little piston like thing attached to rear suspension and connected with a cable/plug. Mine are covered with an undercoating from previous owner but I think they simply bolt in with one or two bolts. I don't necessarily need the wiring harness from the sensors back but if you find its easy to take that out as well i'd be interested in it as well. Really just need the sensors themselves though.

Got it. I'll take a look tomorrow when I have the truck back up in the air.

Egan 07-07-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe

I found them no problem, but I read that if I take them out I'll get a trouble light on the dash. Is there a way to avoid this?