Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Drill & Slotted Brake Rotors (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31921)

Bykw2 01-06-2008 10:03 AM

Drill & Slotted Brake Rotors

I would like to know the advantage of purchasing a set of drilled/ slotted brake rotors? My understanding is that there is not much performance increase in breaking with OEM size rotors. So what benefit is there to purchasing drilled/slotted rotors besides looks!!!! If anyone has a good explanation, please enlighten me!!!!!:confused:

W1N 01-06-2008 10:12 AM

Re: Drill & Slotted Brake Rotors

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bykw2
I would like to know the advantage of purchasing a set of drilled/ slotted brake rotors? My understanding is that there is not much performance increase in breaking with OEM size rotors. So what benefit is there to purchasing drilled/slotted rotors besides looks!!!! If anyone has a good explanation, please enlighten me!!!!!:confused:

I have the Brembo Gran Tourismos and I haven't had the OEM's for too long, but I have to say you are probably 100% right. there might be slight increase in breaking power, but other than that it is all looks. They look hot, that's for sure, but I'd really think about it before you go for them...

Yetti 01-06-2008 10:53 AM

due to the high ceramic content in some pads they create a high presure gas at the surface of the rotor while braking, drilled rotors vent this and improve braking. in some case the gas buildup will prevent good friction transfer and the brake will feel hard on heavy braking but under perform.

tomp 01-06-2008 06:02 PM

Drilled rotors dont do squat and are for looks only.

Slotted rotors do aid in removing water and heat from the surface. The purpose of them is so you can use better pads. Due to them causing more heat you want to remove some of their gases/heat with a slotted rotor.

OU812 01-06-2008 07:26 PM

It sounds like all the above are good reasons, but if drilled or slotted rotors are so wonderful, why don't you see them more as OEM rotors? How about the claims that it is just marketing or these slots/holes weaken the rotor?

Rico001 01-07-2008 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OU812
It sounds like all the above are good reasons, but if drilled or slotted rotors are so wonderful, why don't you see them more as OEM rotors? How about the claims that it is just marketing or these slots/holes weaken the rotor?

Price, same old stuff on 100,000 other trucks is good enough for me
attitude, demand from customers for them,

I have them on my Firebird all around a with ceramic pads, I have not any trouble with them and in the rain they seem to work very well. I will
be buying some for the H2 soon as the ones I have wear down.
~Richard

H2BRUTE 01-07-2008 04:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm running 37" Toyo M/t's with 22"x12" Moto Metal wheels and, yes, I did add Brembo Brakes. I never had a problem with the oem brakes and never any brake dust. The Brembo's do provide stopping power a lot easier than the oem brakes, especially with the bigger tires and wheels. However, since I do the car show circuit, I am constantly plagued by lots of brake dust and squealing from under 5mph. When I called Brembo, they told me to expect it since these are high performance pads..For what it's worth, I should have stayed with the oem brakes. I know I would have been happier, besides not having to spend all those $$$$$..They do, however look great and for a show car, that's what it's all about..An expensive lesson learned..BRUTE

MattRoberts123 01-07-2008 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H2BRUTE
I'm running 37" Toyo M/t's with 22"x12" Moto Metal wheels and, yes, I did add Brembo Brakes. I never had a problem with the oem brakes and never any brake dust. The Brembo's do provide stopping power a lot easier than the oem brakes, especially with the bigger tires and wheels. However, since I do the car show circuit, I am constantly plagued by lots of brake dust and squealing from under 5mph. When I called Brembo, they told me to expect it since these are high performance pads..For what it's worth, I should have stayed with the oem brakes. I know I would have been happier, besides not having to spend all those $$$$$..They do, however look great and for a show car, that's what it's all about..An expensive lesson learned..BRUTE

That is one of the best looking H2's I have ever seen! Goood work. The brakes might not be worth the money, but DAMN they look GOOOOOOD!

Does anyone have any suggestions on a bigger drilled / slotted rotor that works with the factory pads and calipers? Since I have bigger wheels, would be nice to fill up some of that space with a bigger rotor

THanks

H2BRUTE 01-07-2008 07:03 PM

Thanks Bro..I appreciate the positive feedback..Makes it all worthwhile..Got way to much money in it to part with it, so I guess I will keep driving it and polishing it..Keeps you in good shape..BRUTE :beerchug:

OU812 01-07-2008 07:44 PM

Cross-Drilled / Slotted Rotors

The second thing you can do to improve your brake performance is often to go to a larger rotor. We all know that this gives the rotor further ability to dissipate heat away from the pads through itself and through the air (conductive and convective heat transfer). So obviously a larger pad, a larger rotor, or both result in better brake performance by avoiding brake fade.

But what about cross drilled or slotted rotors? Well the common belief in the main stream is that somehow slotted or cross-drilled rotors allow for better performance by handling heat. This is 100 percent false. The individuals involved in such fallacies mention that air through the holes or slots work to cool the rotor (convective heat transfer into the air from the rotor). The issue is that from physics we know that metal transfers heat better then air by a significant amount. As such the larger mass of the rotor becomes more important then the larger surface area of the rotor in any situation other then the optimal. Cross drilling and slotting rotors are not optimal manners of creating metal to air transfer through larger surface areas. There is not much airflow through the holes or slots. Furthermore for cross drilling the holes will fill with brake dust in effect lowering the cooling ability of the rotors vanes they pass through.

Source

Cesardajr 01-07-2008 11:17 PM

Just go with powerslot slotted rotors and ebc green stuff 7000 series brake pads. you will get a better bite on the brakes over the factory set up.
i also upgraded the brake lines and got a nice firm stiff brake feel. ;)

OU812 01-07-2008 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cesardajr
Just go with powerslot slotted rotors and ebc green stuff 7000 series brake pads.

What made you choose British-made brakes for your ride? Have you find that EBC--while quiet--wear quickly?

tomp 01-07-2008 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OU812
Cross-Drilled / Slotted Rotors

The second thing you can do to improve your brake performance is often to go to a larger rotor. We all know that this gives the rotor further ability to dissipate heat away from the pads through itself and through the air (conductive and convective heat transfer). So obviously a larger pad, a larger rotor, or both result in better brake performance by avoiding brake fade.

But what about cross drilled or slotted rotors? Well the common belief in the main stream is that somehow slotted or cross-drilled rotors allow for better performance by handling heat. This is 100 percent false. The individuals involved in such fallacies mention that air through the holes or slots work to cool the rotor (convective heat transfer into the air from the rotor). The issue is that from physics we know that metal transfers heat better then air by a significant amount. As such the larger mass of the rotor becomes more important then the larger surface area of the rotor in any situation other then the optimal. Cross drilling and slotting rotors are not optimal manners of creating metal to air transfer through larger surface areas. There is not much airflow through the holes or slots. Furthermore for cross drilling the holes will fill with brake dust in effect lowering the cooling ability of the rotors vanes they pass through.

Source

This sounds like a brake company trying to sell their big brake upgrade kit! Everone else in the industry has shown that drilled rotors dont do crap, but the slotted rotors do aid in cooling by removing excess gas from between pad and rotor.:raar:

Dan D 2 01-08-2008 02:55 AM

If you want better braking, go with stainless steel brake lines....much better bang for your buck

Cesardajr 01-08-2008 09:52 PM

i have used ebc brake pads on a few cars now and they always seem to last at least 2 1/2 to 3 years based on my driving habits and miles of 15k per year. the combo of rotors and pads that i use, gives an immediate improvement over stock, when i added the stainless steel brake lines it only made it better. i know i have all the braking power that i needed.;)

TXSUT 01-08-2008 10:13 PM

There are some people that believe drilled rotors are just a carry-over from motorcycles, where it does indeed provide an advantage...not in braking performance, but in reducing unsprung weight and rotational mass.

Bykw2 01-11-2008 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H2BRUTE

If you ever decide to sell the Brembo Brake kit let me know!

:perfect10s:

charles06 08-23-2010 05:59 AM

Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but I did a search for rotors, and this one caught my eye.

I have heard similar about cross-drilled rotors, but if all of this is true, why does my Porsche have cross-drilled rotors (along with other high-end sports cars), and has some of the best braking numbers on the market? And we all know that Porsche is know for their incredible brakes, most of which are cross-drilled. Plus, they're made by Brembo.

So, has anyone had any success with changing rotors or just pads? I'm looking for an upgrade.

Thank you,

Charles

HumminNBoatin' 08-24-2010 03:48 PM

I bought a set of powerstop drilled and slotted rotors for both front and rear of my h2 a couple month ago off of ebay. I paid like $250ish for 4 rotors and front/rear pads. I was VERY sceptical of the purchase but they had like 100% feedback. And I am very happy with them. Powerstop is a good brand. When i was a ricerboy they had a good name with the import crowd.

I did the breakin on them. I can tell you where I really notice the difference is when I am towing my boat they do a much better job of stopping the truck and trailer. My trailer has crap ass brakes that never work, they are surge drums. My boat and trailer are somewhere between 3500-4k lbs.

For day to day driving I really cannot tell. However I am very easy on my breaks. I got over 100K miles out of my original factory breaks.