Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What does the ECU "flash" change when you supercharge? (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8375)

Colby 03-28-2006 08:16 PM

I bought a used Vortech s/c setup (from a forum member actually) off an 03 for my 05. I've got it mostly installed, but I am running into an issue w/ getting a programmer. The programmer that came with the 03 kit is incompatible with my 05, superchips won't reprogram it to my car, and Vortech won't sell me one from their '05 kit. They use Predator progammer w/ a custom program straight from Diablosport. So I contacted them requesting a programmer w/ the s/c program on it, and they have not called me back. So frustrating. Anyways, I live in Indiana and my next step (which I would've done even if I got the Predator programmer) is to call Lingenfelter and see if they'll throw it on a dyno and tune/program it for me. My question is, what do they change? Do they mess with the a/f ratio, fuel trim, spark advance, etc or is all that left stock? The Vortech kit upgrades the fuel injectors to 8.1L, but the ECU will determine fuel injector pulse width automatically based on whatever the 02 sensors are telling it. Can I drive it w/o reprogramming it?

Colby

W1N 03-29-2006 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Colby:
I bought a used Vortech s/c setup (from a forum member actually) off an 03 for my 05. I've got it mostly installed, but I am running into an issue w/ getting a programmer. The programmer that came with the 03 kit is incompatible with my 05, superchips won't reprogram it to my car, and Vortech won't sell me one from their '05 kit. They use Predator progammer w/ a custom program straight from Diablosport. So I contacted them requesting a programmer w/ the s/c program on it, and they have not called me back. So frustrating. Anyways, I live in Indiana and my next step (which I would've done even if I got the Predator programmer) is to call Lingenfelter and see if they'll throw it on a dyno and tune/program it for me. My question is, what do they change? Do they mess with the a/f ratio, fuel trim, spark advance, etc or is all that left stock? The Vortech kit upgrades the fuel injectors to 8.1L, but the ECU will determine fuel injector pulse width automatically based on whatever the 02 sensors are telling it. Can I drive it w/o reprogramming it?

Colby

If you want to be sure call Allen Nelson at Nelson Performance or if you are more of a do-it-youself guy, check out HPtuners.com

Dewi2005 03-29-2006 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by W1N:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Colby:

Colby

If you want to be sure call Allen Nelson at Nelson Performance or if you are more of a do-it-youself guy, check out HPtuners.com </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree... Nelson Performance ROCKS!!!! If it needs tuned, they can do it and the price is right!

KenP 03-29-2006 03:09 AM

Colby, it should be safe to drive, but stay out of the gas. You don't want to go lean, or have a timing issue, both of which could pop a piston.

LPE should be able to dyno it for you. Nelson has great stuff.

BLH2 03-29-2006 12:17 PM

another good source is PCM4LESS. speak to Bryan he is a great guy, and knows his stuff

kodiakz 03-29-2006 12:42 PM

Allen Nelson hands down. He can create a custom tune for you that is far superior to any canned tune. You can purchase HP tuners software if you want to make tweaks yourself, or just have Allen tweak it for you and send you a new pcm. Did that kit come with some sort of fuel pressure booster--a fmu or an extra fuel pump? didn't see you mention that very important part of the system.

Colby 03-29-2006 11:57 PM

The '03 came w/ an extra fuel pump, the '04/05 didn't. The 03-05's came with bigger injectors though. I would assume Vortech knew what there were doing when the designed their kits. But I did install an EGT gauge to watch for a lean condition. I filled out the Nelson custom tune request. Sounds like he's the man to make my truck run like it should!

Colby