Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H2 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Super glue fix for squeaky door panels (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9477)

89vette 01-09-2006 01:36 PM

Both my O3 and my 05 had been plagued by cheap squeaky plastic door panels that bug the hell out of me. I did some research on this site and some people mentioned some updated clips. I took mine in for service 3 weeks ago to have these squeaks addressed. They applied about 2 inches of clear anti-noise tape where the panel edge meets the metal on the door. A week later they were squeaking again. In addition, they did not address the squeaks around the trim piece that is around the window buttons or the trim around pull handle (not the removable trim piece but the entire trim piece).

If you remove the panel, you will see these two trim pieces are attached and then melted on in a few areas. If you flex the panel, it squeaks where there is plastic to plastic contact. What I did was apply a medium viscosity super glue down inside all of these areas to stop the movement. You have to be careful because the glue can easily ooze out to the external areas of the panel. I also removed the door window switch gear and applied some small pieces of felt to the under side to tighten it up and stop it from moving all around. Also I wrapped some electrical tape around the whole unit and then popped it back into the trim bezel to further eliminate plastic to plastic contact. On all the edges of the panel, I attached electrical tape where it meets the door metal.

Now the panel is solid. You can hold the grab handle and pull it back and forth with no squeaks. You can rest your arm on it and also not have any squeaks.

89vette 01-09-2006 01:36 PM

Both my O3 and my 05 had been plagued by cheap squeaky plastic door panels that bug the hell out of me. I did some research on this site and some people mentioned some updated clips. I took mine in for service 3 weeks ago to have these squeaks addressed. They applied about 2 inches of clear anti-noise tape where the panel edge meets the metal on the door. A week later they were squeaking again. In addition, they did not address the squeaks around the trim piece that is around the window buttons or the trim around pull handle (not the removable trim piece but the entire trim piece).

If you remove the panel, you will see these two trim pieces are attached and then melted on in a few areas. If you flex the panel, it squeaks where there is plastic to plastic contact. What I did was apply a medium viscosity super glue down inside all of these areas to stop the movement. You have to be careful because the glue can easily ooze out to the external areas of the panel. I also removed the door window switch gear and applied some small pieces of felt to the under side to tighten it up and stop it from moving all around. Also I wrapped some electrical tape around the whole unit and then popped it back into the trim bezel to further eliminate plastic to plastic contact. On all the edges of the panel, I attached electrical tape where it meets the door metal.

Now the panel is solid. You can hold the grab handle and pull it back and forth with no squeaks. You can rest your arm on it and also not have any squeaks.

H2Finally 01-09-2006 03:20 PM

How difficult is it to remove the door panels? I want to add soundproofing, but afraid of breaking anything.

89vette 01-09-2006 04:22 PM

It is not difficut at all. There is one screw to remove the door handle latch cover. Behind that are two screws (8mm if I remember correctly) that you will have to take out. After that, it unsnaps but be careful or you might break of the mounting locations for the clips.

H2Finally 01-09-2006 04:31 PM

Thanks! Gotta do this soon before I get TOO BUSY with WORK!!

TXSUT 01-09-2006 05:10 PM

Thanks for the tips!!!

Dan 01-09-2006 06:09 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXSUT:
Thanks for the tips!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TIPS!!!

TXSUT 01-09-2006 06:20 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXSUT:
Thanks for the tips!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TIPS!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look Dan, I already have enough problems with your posts...you see, my computer at work is screwed up, and takes forever to load your avatar fully. So, for much too long, whenever I'm viewing any of your posts, I have this 2.5"x2.5" picture of a hot, oily woman massaging her nice, big tits on my screen! LMAO!

89vette 08-17-2023 07:28 PM

Re: Super glue fix for squeaky door panels

There is nothing like buying another H2 after 17 years and searching how to fix squeaky door panels and finding your own post from 2006!