Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I think I have a couple screws loose.................Causing my Sunroof to rattle (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29809)

HumminNBoatin' 09-16-2007 06:21 PM

I think I have a couple screws loose.................Causing my Sunroof to rattle

2 Attachment(s)
So I need some help. When I hit highway speeds I notice that my sunroof rattles quiet a bit. It only rattles when closed. When I open it the rattle goes away. I have checked the wind visor and it is not causing the rattling. I got up in the sunroof and it looks like I am missing a screw in each side. I have attached pictures for review. Can someone else check your sunroof and see if I am in fact missing a couple of screws?

Thanks,
Eric

MattRoberts123 09-17-2007 03:01 PM

Re: I think I have a couple screws loose.................Causing my Sunroof to rattle

My guess would be that it is not your sunroof.... rather the air problem on the outside of the A-Pillars where the plastic piece meets the windshield. It is a common problem on H2s at speeds over about 70.

Search the forum for air or wind noise...

mikejr 09-17-2007 03:48 PM

Re: I think I have a couple screws loose.................Causing my Sunroof to rattle

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattRoberts123
My guess would be that it is not your sunroof.... rather the air problem on the outside of the A-Pillars where the plastic piece meets the windshield. It is a common problem on H2s at speeds over about 70.

I concur, I had that intermittently on my 06H2... It rarely did it, but i did notice when it did, it was when there was a strong cross wind blowing across the highway.

MONSTERMATT 09-17-2007 04:34 PM

:p:p:p:p
Quote:

UH-HUH

lennyrebel 09-18-2007 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumminNBoatin'
So I need some help. When I hit highway speeds I notice that my sunroof rattles quiet a bit. It only rattles when closed. When I open it the rattle goes away. I have checked the wind visor and it is not causing the rattling. I got up in the sunroof and it looks like I am missing a screw in each side. I have attached pictures for review. Can someone else check your sunroof and see if I am in fact missing a couple of screws?

Thanks,
Eric

Well I went out and opened the sunroof on my 06 and no screws in those holes either. I fabricated a centre bracket to stabilize deflector and it still makes noise at 85 mph plus. I also siliconed deflector weatherstrip down with RTV silicone--can't say it helped.

WHOSNEXT 09-18-2007 02:19 PM

Quote:

That is my guess as well.....mine did same thing....took a-pillars off and siliconed them....problem went away.

HumminNBoatin' 09-18-2007 06:48 PM

How do the plastic side pillars come off?

WHOSNEXT 09-18-2007 07:05 PM

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ghlight=pillar

HumminNBoatin' 09-18-2007 07:13 PM

Thanks,

I will try this and see what happens!

IRA51 09-19-2007 12:54 AM

Perhaps you have a loose nut behind the wheel ? :twak:

OrangeCrush 09-19-2007 03:20 AM

X825... The movement of the pillar covers lets the sound travel and I swear it sounds like it's coming from the sunroof.

I've had to urethane mine in several times. The first few times I re-twosided tape'd them but the last time, I used urethane.

Mark

HumminNBoatin' 09-19-2007 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRA51
Perhaps you have a loose nut behind the wheel ? :twak:

Yeah but every Hummer does right? :giggling:

obzidian 09-20-2007 12:14 AM

If gotten used to it but still, its annoy!

Mine does it all the time, especially when im, in a hury and the noise just adds to my frustration.... usually brought upon for my GF telling me to slow down!

HumminNBoatin' 09-22-2007 01:43 PM

I used RTV on them last night. We will see what happens on the road today!

H24MENU 01-20-2008 05:29 PM

Did the A pillar fix the sunroof rattle? I just bought a 05 SUT and I am having the same problem.

HumminNBoatin' 01-20-2008 08:48 PM

Yes it fixed the problem

sanfoja 01-22-2008 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumminNBoatin'
Yes it fixed the problem

Man, am I glad you guys posted this. This buzzing. rattling, vibrating noise drove me crazy for two hours yesterday!!! Bought RTV today will fix tomorrow!! Along with installing my new HID headlights :beerchug:

Thanks!!:excited:

Smokin Joe 01-22-2008 09:35 PM

sanfoja,
Have you done the windshield fix yet? Just wondering how it worked out for you?
Joe

H2bill 01-23-2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanfoja
Man, am I glad you guys posted this. This buzzing. rattling, vibrating noise drove me crazy for two hours yesterday!!! Bought RTV today will fix tomorrow!! Along with installing my new HID headlights :beerchug:

Thanks!!:excited:

Had the same thing on my '06. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it. I'm not sure what they did but they were aware of it. (I had a copy of the thread here in hand in case they acted like they never heard of such a thing).

sanfoja 01-27-2008 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Joe
sanfoja,
Have you done the windshield fix yet? Just wondering how it worked out for you?
Joe

Too soon to tell yet...I did it a couple of nights ago with Black silicone (cold as sh$#&t here at 19 deg F) but 50 or so in garage. Not enough time to cure yet so covered the seam with black electrical tape and drove it yesterday no noise whatsoever, but real test will be after I remove the tape. Out of town this weekend, not in H2 :( but will post update to see how well the silicone sticks.