Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Anodized Aluminum Crossbars (POLISHING) (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38507)

Nielsen 11-15-2009 02:10 AM

Anodized Aluminum Crossbars (POLISHING)

My 2003 H2 Aluminum Crossbars are weathered, dull and spotty. How can I polish them ?? The clear anodized process is not allowing polishes to work. I've tried "Mothers Polish" (no luck) and I've tried "Eagle Brand Mag Cleaner" (no luck). Somehow I need to get through or remove the anodizing coating. Any suggestions.

s_c5519 11-15-2009 02:44 AM

Re: Anodized Aluminum Crossbars (POLISHING)

I remember years back using that Mothers mag & aluminum polish paste on things and there wasn't anything better. Lot of work to put on and take off though... I am betting if that doesn't work, then it will be tough to find something that does! Those are tough suckers to clean, I gave up on one of mine, lucky there are hard to see on top...

Luv2Camp 11-15-2009 03:16 AM

Do not waste your time with the polish. I took my roof bars off and also removed the built in off road lamps and spent a few hours polishing them with Mothers. They looked GREAT for about a month and now they look EXACTLY as they did before I polished them. I am thinking about clearcoating them but concerned about the clear chipping/peeling off of them and than havin g a real mess on my hands.

Nielsen 11-17-2009 03:43 AM

Someone in our group must have an idea on how to remove the anodizing so that the bars can be polished,....... I'm sure some of you are good detailers and have figured a way to polish them. Any other thoughts ??

vandy0090 11-17-2009 05:13 AM

ill talk to a buddy of mine next time i see him hes a detailer. he may have a secret

Nielsen 11-22-2009 03:50 AM

To date,... 90 to 100 members have viewed this entry,... hoping to find a way to polish their Anodized Aluminum Crossbars. Does anyone have an answer ???

Easy Ed 11-22-2009 04:02 AM

I would say if someone has looked and not posted anything it means that they do not have an answer for you, sorry but it is possible that we do not know it all ;)

Ed

Luv2Camp 11-22-2009 04:53 PM

I think in the spring I am going to lightly scuff them with a scotch bright pad and clearcoat them... I spoke with the Dupont paint rep and he feels this should work. I still am worried about the paint adhering long term. If it peels later I will have a mess and an eyesore.

twr 11-22-2009 05:22 PM

Hi i would sand and buff all the coating off so they look like chrome and clear powder coat them. I have done some clear powder coating on my bike and it stands up very well after 4 years.