Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2 (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cold Air Kit - Introduction (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40438)

fllaw1 10-24-2010 03:04 PM

Cold Air Kit - Introduction

I am new here from Florida to the Forum and have a 2003 H2 Adventure with 27k miles on the way here from Tx next week.:excited: I really enjoyed the posts and have they been so helpful.
The Cold Air kits, some have the external filter & Inlet tube and some come with the Inlet tube and give you a new filter to put in your stock airbox. I am wondering if the external filter makes alot "air" noise. Can anyone tell me which one is best or the way to go? I see a really good deal on ebay for the Airaid kits. I just drive mostly trails and the beach and such and this is a second vehicle for me so the miles will be low. Thanks for the help:beerchug:

Scarsman 10-24-2010 05:40 PM

Re: Cold Air Kit - Introduction

First, welcome and congratulations!

Second, yes, the type with the "open" filter, not in an enclosure, will make more "air sucking" noise. The kind that use the enclosed box will be quieter.

Now, this is JMHO and that is all. In my experience with other vehicles and after researching on these trucks, unless you are doing other fairly extensive mods, you are not really going to gain anything with an intake. The stock intake flows all the air the motor is capable of using, so anything "freeer flowing" wont matter, because the motor wont use it.

Now, if you are going to add headers, a cam, and some head work, then the motor is going to move more air and a better intake will show some benefit. But on its own, it is just money spent for a little more noise.

Again, this is ONLY MHO and nothing more.

fllaw1 10-25-2010 02:06 AM

Thank you, for the reply, I was really looking for gas mileage and slight bit of performance maybe. Now that you say that I may just buy the Airaid Inlet tube only.

HUMTECH 10-25-2010 02:53 AM

One thing is that if you can truly get cooler air into the engine ths will increase the cylinder charge due to cooler air being more dense, which means more o2 per charge. Also if the maf detects more air flow in gpm the ecm will compensate with more fuel. Increases in hp can range from 5 to 20 maybe. wont feel it in the seat cause its a nominal increase but its there. With a dense (cool) air charge you can expect a more complete burn of the fuel charge which will increase fuel mileage, but not by much.

Stellar 10-26-2010 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUMTECH
One thing is that if you can truly get cooler air into the engine ths will increase the cylinder charge due to cooler air being more dense, which means more o2 per charge. Also if the maf detects more air flow in gpm the ecm will compensate with more fuel. Increases in hp can range from 5 to 20 maybe. wont feel it in the seat cause its a nominal increase but its there. With a dense (cool) air charge you can expect a more complete burn of the fuel charge which will increase fuel mileage, but not by much.

Couldn't agree more. I dropped in the large Airraid filter in the stock housing, removed the baffle screen in the MAF sensor, changed the accordion coupler out to a smooth larger diameter coupler, added the Air Raid intake tube. Every vehicle is different but I have documented a full 1mpg increase over stock. :beerchug:

IRA51 10-26-2010 07:26 PM

:drama: