View Single Post
Old 01-01-2006, 01:58 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ree:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRTYFN:
I would highly advise you to stay away from the Mile Marker winches. All of the Hummer techs that I've spoken with on this subject have offered the advice to NOT use a hydraulic winch on the H2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Preface: I don't know the details of any business doings/misdoings between you and MM since I haven't read enough old posts to figure it out. So I'm not going to discount what you've said because of this. <span class="ev_code_RED">They are sneaky thieves, but my recommendation is made after personally experiencing failure on 2 of their electric winches. Also, the fact that any warranty work must be done at their facility in Atlanta(?). Warn has service falcilities worldwide and are very accommodating when it comes to warranty repairs.</span>

If there is a real problem with the MM hydraulics on the H2, I'd love to know about it now. But so far, I've seen little substantive arguments against their use. <span class="ev_code_RED">Most, if not all, techs will tell you that the H2 steering pump isn't quite up to the work of running a hydraulic winch.</span>

I did see you post a complaint about the cluth lever failing on one. <span class="ev_code_RED">One personally. 3-4 others from friends & acquaintances.</span>

But everything I've ever seen about the hydraulics being bad seems purely anectodal/hearsay. I've seen all sorts of people claiming that they cause PS pump failure, but I've never hear them say it was their PS pump that their winch broke. <span class="ev_code_RED">Like I said, ask a tech.</span>

I know AMG fails to warrant the PS pumps on H1's if a MM hydraulic is used, but this isn't proof that the winches are the problem. It is a mighty nice way for them to save on warantee costs.<span class="ev_code_RED">That's because MM is a bitch to work with on warranty issues.</span> But I've seen a number of videos with H1's sans MM winches and sick sounding PS pumps. Maybe the PS pumps aren't so hot on the H1's. <span class="ev_code_RED">Could be. But I've only ever heard one PS pump sounding sickly. And I've been around LOTS of H1s.</span>

So why specifically are the Hummer tech's advising against it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> <span class="ev_code_RED">The best thing you can do is go ask one(or a couple of them) about their opinions on the subject.</span>

Remember: Opinions are like *******s. Everybody has one and they usually stink.