View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 01:14 PM
Hummer Professional

Boar-Ral is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BLOWNZO6:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JetEyeNite:
Can you still use the volume up/down from the steering wheel?
what about the band control(FM/AM/CD, etc)? can it be controlled from the steering wheel?
How fast is the start up time? I would imagine that you'd put the system into either sleep mode or hibernation mode when the unit is not powered up. That leads me to another question. How much of bettery power does this unit draw when the vehicle is not running? Can you integrate both XM and Sirrus?
How good is the voice recognition on the Atlas?

thanks in advance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The buttons on the steering wheel only work to control the ONSTAR, nothing related to the radio.

From boot, I would say it is about a minute. The way the power supply is setup it put the computer into standby and when you come back it just returns from standby, which takes about 3 seconds. I don't know how much amperage it draws when the vehicle is not running. The power supply will no let the battery go dead. If it senses the supply voltage is below 11V, it shuts the computer down. I parked at the airport for about 4 days.. came back, no problem.

I would assume you could use both Sirius and XM is you wanted to, it is compatible with both.

I have not used the voice recognition on the navigation to know how well it works.

Thanks,
Nick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Depending on what auxiliary input adapter you are using to interface the AutoPC to the factory headunit, the steering wheel controls should still allow you to select between AM/FM/CD/Auxiliary Input. I recently finished testing a new auxiliary input in my H2 for this purpose and it seems to work well. Unfortunately, there is no easy way for the steering wheel controls to control the XM, Sirius, or other functions of the AutoPC, as far as my knowledge goes.

The power supply that I use in my AutoPCs connects to the motherboards using their 'power on' pins, so that when you turn the keys in your vehicle, the AutoPC turns on. Likewise, taking the keys out turns the AutoPC off. (This is all configurable in the power supply.) You can also setup a delay so that once you take the keys out, the AutoPC will remain on for 5 - 45 minutes before turning off. You can also configure the power supply to not turn off the AutoPC, but put it in hibernate mode, again using pins on the motherboard. This is all transparent to the user and results in an illusion of instant on, a big requirement for most users of these systems. With the AutoPC in hibernate mode, there is absolutely no power draw. The power supply cuts itself off until it detects ignition again.

Just my two cents!