View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 05:41 AM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dick Renaud:

You are attempting to keep the resistance of the cable balanced with the radio and antenna to get maximume power transfer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear two possible things here (and I may be way off so bear with me, please):

1. More length = more impedance which = less transmit power?

and/or

2. There is possibly a formula for calculating optimum coax length on a properly grounded vehicle when radio and antenna specs are known?

------

Like Phil said earlier, in the end a basic CB setup will no doubt do more than I ever need it to normally do, i.e., communicate with other moving trucks that are fairly close.

BUT, I'll take your advice and do the extra grounding and homerun power because I fully expect the CB will give way to a ham unit soon. The purpose of that radio will be much broader and maximum performance will absolutely be desired. Plus, even if it's only a CB today, I'd still like to get the most out of it because, well, because I can and I enjoy the tinkering.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One last thought, the Firestick is a great antenna because you can tune it easily and retune it any time you add something to the roof a9lights, bars etc). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a choice between Firestik and Wilson. The shop owner was very high (to say the least) on Wilson so based on his recommendation and my desire for a flex unit, I bought the Wilson Silver Load Flex 4 . Any thoughts on that?

You mentioned the antenna can be retuned when something new is added to the roof ...

When I'm headed off-road, I mount quite a bit of metal recovery gear on the roof rack. Will that effect the tune? If yes, given that I'll most often use the radio when off-road, would you advise I tune with the gear on?

Thanks much, Dick. I'm grateful for your time and input. Same goes for anyone else that wants to chime in!