View Single Post
Old 03-26-2005, 04:45 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Asked by hummoron:
Do the hummers have black boxes to record the driver?! That could really shed a lot of light onto this.
Are you reading the posts? About 3" above your comment was this:
Quote:
However, I just want to know exactly what happened. I hope the HUMMER's black box was not damaged. That will be telling.
Quote:
Posted by the OTHER shaggy:
Maybe they DID PERFORM their duties, looking where they SHOULD have been looking, I don't know, see this is all BS, and maybe getting a little PO'd, and for the recird, have no connection personally with the rangers, other than fishing, but check the layout of AI, and the regulations, and where would you look?
According to the coordinates givin, the water.
Quote:
OnStar provided rough coordinates — 38.21 latitude and -75.14 longitude — to the 911 operator, but those numbers were not passed onto park rangers at the time.
Moving down the line I can't help but admire the response of marcmedic. He is willing to take responsibility for actions he does, or does not take
Quote:
You dive in and knock yourself out. Is the lifeguard justified in just sitting there and letting you drown because you disobeyed the sign??? The Park Rangers has a duty to act and their actions deviated from an accepted standard for emergency responders. You bet your ass they should lose their jobs.
Quote:
Posted by the other shaggy:
Okay, and imagine there is diving allowed in certain areas, and none in others, and imagine the pool is 10,000 acres or more, where would you start looking?
I would start looking where the mayday coordinates dictated.
Quote:
Posted by the moron:
From what I've read, the rangers did search, just didn't find them. I'm sure that if they did, they would have done all they could to save them.
Again, here are the coordinates: 38.21 latitude and -75.14 longitude. The coordinates are outside the designated offroad area so why was only the legal Offroad Area searched? The motion of the waves geanerally moves objects north anyway. Any ambiguity as to where the vehicle was should lead an experienced Ranger to check north.
Quote:
Postd by themoron:
They searched the most logical places based on the ranger's past experience. Had they been in the ORV section, they would have been found lickity split. They weren't there. It was dark.
Wrong, they did not search the area of the coordinates provided by OnStar.

It seems that a few new members are jumping in here without reading the entire thread. Furthermore, they are not reading all the info available to them in this thread.

Most here are not castigating the Rangers or the Troopers. If you newbies would read EVERYTHING before posting you would see most of us are merely curious as to the truth.
Quote:
Posted by the moron:
Should the ranger have called for a full blown search and rescue when all he was given was:

“The incident we have is going on at the National Parks Service,” the 911 operator informed an Assateague Park ranger. “An emergency button was pushed to OnStar on a vehicle that’s a Hummer somewhere out there and they gave us coordinates, but we have no idea where this is.”
The GPS coordinates makes this response sound elementary. Actually, it's sad.
Quote:
Postd by Pebbles:
Does anyone know if they found the Hummer at or near the GPS coordinates that Onstar relayed to Emergency Services?

What were the actual coordinates the Hummer was at when it was found?
Good question. Let's see. An CYA out there?
Quote:
Posted by the moron:
From the emotions here, I should be looking for someone's head if that ever happens. Maybe I should start demanding that we get a full fledge response each and every time.
Wrong again. We are merely trying to find out the truth as to what happened by sharing information. As for this incident, let's see. OnStar button pressed, hysterical woman, coordinates in the water. Humm, you aren't that bright are you, hummoron? If nothing else, a man's machismo should demand finding that woman. I guess we know where you stand. If I knew a woman was in danger I'd do anything I could to find here. Even following coordinates.

Of course, I must reiterate, I am not blaming the Rangers. Generally, they do a wonderful job. I just want to know what happened. Plain and simple.