View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Hummer Professional

wilfred is off the scale
Default Re: Lawmakers approve financial aid to illegal immigrants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfox
It is not uncommon for border states to have some kind of assistance for foreign students. Most universities and colleges also have the same allowances for international students. Undocumented citizens are not eligible for federal money but they are eligible for state aid. At public Texas universities the state aid awarded is revenue from tuition and fees. Portions are set aside for citizens and non-citizens according to the applicant pool and date of application. Award amounts are often not enough to cover the cost of tuition and fees, so it is hardly a free ride. Undocumented citizens are given a deadline to either follow the steps to become legal citizens or lose their aid.

US parents often think that they are entitled to financial aid and award amounts should cover 100% of students costs. A secondary education is not free. Aid is intended to be a supplement to funds the parent has set aside for the student. From personal experience it is difficult to consel a parent who has a 6 figure salary trying to explain why the student is only eligible for loans and not grant money. Once I mention loans it is about that time the parent tells me they only have so much money to maintain their luxury houses, vehicles and who should pay for their kids education. Ggrrrrrr

Unless things have changed, there was no assistance for international students at all. I was considered as an international student (because I was a legal immigrant but wasn't a US citizen at the time) and while attending a community college for my general education, my tuition was around $200~$300 per unit. Meanwhile, US citizens only have to pay $5 or $10 per unit. I have no problem with that because I wasn't a US citizen and neither my parents or myself were paying any taxes. So it makes perfect sense we have to pay more to get an education here. As a matter of fact, I remember we had to provide bank statement showing the ability to pay the tuition and expenses during my stay because international students are not allowed to work in this country.

Now to offer financial aid to the illegals is complete BS!