View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lawmakers approve financial aid to illegal immigrants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfox
It is not uncommon for border states to have some kind of assistance for foreign students. Most universities and colleges also have the same allowances for international students. Undocumented citizens are not eligible for federal money but they are eligible for state aid. At public Texas universities the state aid awarded is revenue from tuition and fees. Portions are set aside for citizens and non-citizens according to the applicant pool and date of application. Award amounts are often not enough to cover the cost of tuition and fees, so it is hardly a free ride. Undocumented citizens are given a deadline to either follow the steps to become legal citizens or lose their aid.

US parents often think that they are entitled to financial aid and award amounts should cover 100% of students costs. A secondary education is not free. Aid is intended to be a supplement to funds the parent has set aside for the student. From personal experience it is difficult to consel a parent who has a 6 figure salary trying to explain why the student is only eligible for loans and not grant money. Once I mention loans it is about that time the parent tells me they only have so much money to maintain their luxury houses, vehicles and who should pay for their kids education. Ggrrrrrr

Give me a break. No education in this country is free if you work and pay taxes. I will agree, there are some who do not work but they still probably pay some type of property tax; either via a house they own, apartment rental fees, etc., or sales tax on purchases. However, the taxes I have paid over the years to the school systems I have lived in, means there is no free ride if you work. I have no problem with this; I have no problem with it now, even though my kids are all done with their primary education.

I have helped put two kids through universities and working on the last one through MI State U. I am not asking for any handouts from the Government, never have, never will. My kids have no college loans, I have no college loans for putting them through. I have no problems with underprivileged children obtaining grants for college AS LONG AS THEY ARE CHILDREN OF TAXPAYING US CITIZENS.

Key WORDS are "taxpaying," and "US Citizens." Some of the illegals pay taxes, yes, but they are in this country ILLEGALLY, and I fail to understand why it is so hard for people in this country to understand what ILLEGAL means.

Taxpayers of this country should not be responsible for educating illegal or even legal aliens who come to this country to obtain an education, unless they become US citizens and plan on staying here.

Take the money that they are giving to the Illegals and possibly a few underprivileged kids of US Citizens can obtain more grant money for their college. Or, just take that money and reduce tuition overall for everyone. But there is no legal or moral reason for US taxpayers to support non-US citizens in their quest for a college degree. (It sure appears there is a political reason. )