View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: Anyone here play the piano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2co-pilot
I play, but we don't have one. I gave mine to a friend to hold in her hose when I moved to a 3rd story apartment in the city. I used to work with her. She called me one day and asked if I needed it, she was moving and the movers could bring it over. I said no, you go ahead and keep it for awhile. She told me later she was moving to Maryland.

Music is an internal talent. You either have an ear for it or not. If you don't,then it will take you a while. I took lessons for about 12 years and stopped when I was a teen. But I still have several long classics memorized and have an ear to figure out tunes pretty quickly. And, I assuming you have seen my fingers.

I would assume that the hard part for you will be learning the notes and working out your fingers. For the fingers, start with running scales, (Put your thumb on Middle C and crawl up:

Thumb, pointer, middle, cross thumb under for the next and continue to the pinky to the next c note then back down crossing middle over thumb.) It's hard to explain. You learn that first. After you learn the notes of course you should get excercise books from Schmitt or something and work out your fingers.

Then once you know them you practice a certain song after you do scales and such everyday. Practice, practice, practice until you get it. It reallt depends on time. I would say that if given effort and an ear for it, it will take you a year to play at christmas parties or certain simple peices without looking like a complete asshole. If you are into it, get a metronome for timing, practice daily and love it- 2-5 before you can play what you want- each song needs practice.

This one is beautiful and not terribly difficult. After you get an idea of where the notes are and can scale easily you should try it. It sounds good fast and slow, but rhythmic so you won't kill your family. It's one my favorites.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ght_sanata.pdf
Ok, I'm screwed. I didn't get past the "internal talent" part.