View Single Post
Old 12-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: anyone ever done the 2" suspension lift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullsnake

Am I an idiot for wanting to really trick this old '96 out? after all of the mods will I still be left with a far inferior truck than say an '03? If you have read through some of my initial posts you will know that the '96 is going to be a long term family member, so I would like to make it the best that I can.

Thanks!!

The 03 trucks have:

A better block casting than your truck probably has (I assume your engine has been replaced, and highly doubt you need to worry about another bad block)

They are quieter to ride in, but you can add sound deadening to your 96 and accomplish the same results.

03's have 17 inch wheels, which you can upgrade to if you'd like.

Upgraded HVAC, which I would guess that you have had the 97.5 upgrade done.

You may want to consider the 98 diffs which are geared a bit better for highway driving (lower RPMS)

A new dog house. Again you can get that if you'd like.

Updated dash/control center. No big deal IMO.

Monsoon stereo. A nice touch.

The rear locker.

ABS/TT4. ABS can be a BIG hazard off road, you dont want it. TT4 can be better for street driving (ice/snow). With practice you wont need it, personally I would not want it.

LED side marker lights. You can upgrade to those for 130.00 at the dealer.

A better brush guard, but still not as heavy duty as an aftermarket.

I personally do think that a 96 is an inferior truck. Hardcore off road H1 enthusiasts swear by the pre 1998 trucks for their off road abilities. The rear locker of the 03 does help the off road ability of the TT4 trucks, and gave the H1 alot of its credit back as a kick ass of road vehicle. When its all said and done I feel that you could make your 96 as good or better then an 03 rig for considerably less then buying another truck.

-007=