View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 01:13 AM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by KenP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MarineHawk:
H1 Winching Rubi forward from the rear.

Wrangler and Rubi got stuck on numerous, for them, impassible obstacles. They were then winched through by an H1 and OldHiker's H2. 3rd Jeep in group turned around and had to be winched out by Larson through a creek. H1 and stock H2 went right on through with no winching.
I've yet to see a winch used there, so what trail was it the Heeps got stuck on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't recall the name (more likely Ipe, MatureHiker, Larson, or Joe will know) but it was a Blue 3 trail. On another trail, I had to winch myself off a stump on my DS rockrail on top of a steep ascent down into a muddy embankment into a creek (I was trying to avoid the off-camber drop the first two guys did - H1 & H3 - so I went a little too far to the left and high centered on the stump). OldHiker used his winch for the 1st time in its 2-year life - 3 times, but all on other vehicles. He no get stuck. He just go. We went on a lot of fairly challenging trails. I learned more from the veterans, including non-forum-member H1-Scott, about wheeling the H2 than I thought possible in two days. At the end of the 2nd day, I went over obstacles without needing a spotter that I could have barely been persuaded to try at the beginning of the first day even with a spotter. Ipe, OldHiker, Larson, Joe, and Scott always had the right answers for difficult spots. Before Friday morn, I had never actually done the BTM thing. Now, it's second nature. The whole thing was a blast, inclding the all-you-can eat crablegs, prime rib, clams, etc. at the place we went to on Friday night.