View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 02:13 AM
Hummer Novice

axxense is on a distinguished road
Default Re: '05 intermittent won't crank - start

Hi Rene,

Ok - Long-winded post coming...

Here is what I am deducing from your post...

...I am concluding that the smaller terminal is to the solenoid that pushes the starter in. In turn, the top-most larger terminal is what turns the gear and the bottom-most large terminal is the battery lead (power).

Here is what happened...

(with ignition switch in the 'run' position)

...jumped the smaller terminal to the top-most large terminal and got nothing (kind of figured such, as the bottom-most large terminal is the hot).

Jumped the smaller terminal to the bottom-most large (hot) terminal and got a little blue spark, but, no reaction.

This, now, confirms your post suggestion as being a starter problem.

I then jumped the two larger terminals (the top-most large and bottom-most (hot) large terminals), and the sarter spun (but, wasn't engaged, so, it didn't crank).

Soooooooooooooooooooo, the ultimate conclusion is, when I turn the the ignition switch, which I now believe is fine, all the way to 'start', the solenoid is not engaging, which, in turn, does not then power-up and engage, nor spin, the gear, which renders the no crank situation.

Lo, it appears you have helped me isolate the problem to my starter, and, more specifically, the solenoid.

I will pick up a new starter and install it and let you know how things turn out. Likely I won't have the time to do so until this weekend.

Does this all sound on the mark to you or you other guru-types?

It does bring up a question, however... ...why would power be going to the bottom-most large (hot) terminal when the key is in the 'run' position? I might guess (incorrectly, it appears ) that it would only have power when the key is turned all the way to the 'start' position - power goes to the bottom-most (hot) terminal, the solenoid then pops in, thus powering up and spinning the gear, cranking and starting the engine, the key is then let to return to the 'run' position, removing power from the bottom-most (hot) terminal, thus allowing the solenoid to return, thus removing power from the gear, stopping it from spinning. Does anyone feel like explaining this to me?

THANKS! I'll let you know how the starter replacement goes this weekend and likely bestow more thanks upon you!

Last edited by axxense : 10-29-2008 at 02:34 AM.