Thread: tow rigs
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 05:25 AM
Hummer Veteran

twinmill28 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: tow rigs

Hey Vandy, what year's your deuce? That's gonna contribute alot to what you can pull.
If it's 07 and down, that trailer is too much for it and I would not go that route. You have to think liability here--as in lawsuit. God forbid anything ever happens, but if you get in a wreck and are pulling beyond the rated limit, which I guarantee the insurance companies will look at---you're gonna lose your ass even if it's the other guys fault.
A 36 foot long trailer is massively long--you're damn near in the trailer park category, seriously. I know, they get that rating at something like 40 feet, but you're close. Plus, you've got to look at total length being closer to 38 or 39 feet at the front of the trailer with added length of the front V (not usually included in stated length).
Towing it into gas stations or restaraunts will suck balls, and actually towing it anyplace you have to actually make any turns will suck balls.
I'm about 30 feet with my trailer and have found myself in some crappy situations trying to get it in or out of places. This is the longest I'd want to be before I'm looking at a 5th wheel. I actually tried talking my wife into going for a Kodiak rear slide which makes the trailer even lighter and shorter. The rear slide just didn't offer storage or living space that our family of 5 needs.
Don't get me started on Coachmen--their 1 year road hazard is almost useless, I actually had to bully the reps into fixing our trailer under warranty. When the axles bent they automatically start talking about blaming the manufacturer, Liepert, and try to divert us to deal with them for getting it fixed. I believe if you have "Coachmen" emblazened that much on the exterior of the trailer, they should own up to fixing it. We had to leave it in Butte, Montana for over a month when it broke and basically abandon or move everything out of it into the deuce and our car while we waited for it to be fixed. Then Coachmen wouldn't even honor having it delivered the 500 miles back to our house. The only way I could settle with them was to offer to drive to pick it up if they paid my gas bill of $400.
Don't get me wrong, Coachman builds a REALLY nice trailer, quality finishes on the coach, but they bow out when it comes to the frame and below. From what we've heard, all coach manufacturers are bad this way.
Oh, when we called the Coachman hotline and told them they had a dead trailer on the interstate, they offered to drag it to the local Wal Mart late Friday until someone could look at it Monday. How the hell do you live in a trailer with 2 cats, a dog, 3 kids and the wife in an unheated, no plumbing trailer for 3 nights???
Rant over. Good luck buying a trailer and make sure to ask as many questions about warranty coverage--nobody will be able to answer them without blowing smoke up your skirt. The salesmen will try to make you feel good about having a road hazard, but good luck executing it late Friday afternoon when all the shops are closed and wreckers are impossible to find in the middle of nowhere. Even better luck trying to get them to pick up a hotel bill and loss of wages when you're stuck in BFE dealing with the whole mess. Oooh, I sound like a bitter ex wife! Just some things you need to be prepared to handle if you take road trips in the new coach.

Last edited by twinmill28 : 02-03-2012 at 05:33 AM.