View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hummer H2 Radio Install, Keep OnStar, Steering Wheel Controls And Door Chime

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMike
Additional edit:

On the GMOS-04 there is a blue adjustment screw that the instructions say is only used for adjusting the door chime volume level.

It actually controls that, and the overall volume output of the radio audio.

To adjust the door chime level, you turn off the vehicle, put the keys in the ignition, and open the driver door. Then turn the screw to achieve the level you want.

To adjust the audio, close all doors, turn on the ignition, and radio, turn the radio up to about 3/4 full volume, and once the radio is playing adjust the level to match what you think should be 3/4 of full volume.

The GMOS I bought didn't mention this in the instructions and when I first installed everything I had to turn my radio up to 30 out of 36 max to get a normal listening level. I came across a different version of the instructions online and saw that you can also adjust the audio level. So I tore open the dash again to do the adjustment, now I listen to it at 18 out of 36 which is more inline of how the radio played in my old truck.
That adjustment screw will also come in handy if you start getting a whining sound in the speakers that follows the engine revs. Lowering the output of the GMOS seems to reduce the whine. In the end you have to strike a balance between overall volume and whether or not you can still hear the whine. Those little suckers drove me crazy...

I eventually said to hell with the door chimes and just got the straight-up non-OnStar GM harness. The output was actually louder (go fig) and I never had to deal with that whine again.