View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Line-X Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Zombie Hunter
I'm getting my new HMMWV H1 wheels Line-X'ed next week!
Luckily they are 2 piece wheels so all I had to do is unbolt (24) 3/4" bolts to take the face off (x's 5 wheels = 120 bolts, UGH!!).

No more Autozone rattle can bed liner for this guy!
I'd search around a bit for folks that have tried this before proceeding...particularly if your still gonna be running your truck on the blacktop at speed. I'd think that the Line-X, being that it's so thick, might make the wheels difficult to balance.

From what I've seen on objects that have dimension, grooves, lips, or anything other than a basic flat surface, the Line-X seems to pool-up a bit (for lack of better term) before it stiffens; so you get some areas where the coating is a bit thicker than others. This MIGHT make for a balancing nightmare and given that I hear that beadlockers are already sometimes difficult to balance you may set yourself up for premature tire wear.

I'd also worry since the rims are two piece wheels that you'd possibly interfere with the rims ability to properly seal the tire (keeping the air in) if you got Line-X between the pieces where they bolt together...but that could just be some 'overkill worrying' on my part.

That's my 2 cents...prolly at least worth a thought given how much our tires tend to cost and how quickly a bad balance can chew them up.