View Single Post
Old 03-24-2005, 03:05 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Hummoron:
Tower,

My problem with Hummer and SUV owners is that their selection of a vehicle ultimately effects me. While some may actually need their vehicle, most do not. At least the roads around here don't require the use of a large vehicle to pickup a bag of groceries. Their fuel guzzling vehicles might not be the primary cause of pump prices rising, but it certainly isn't helping. If more people chose fuel efficient vehicles, it might actually help. It would certainly get the car makers more interested in looking for ways to make safe yet efficient cars. And how many of you haven't silently said to yourself at some point "yeah, he'll move. I'm bigger than him"? How many people driving a BMW M5 has said the same? And I bet it hauls grociers just as well on less fuel.

Adam had what, about 15 miles of beach just for off-road vehicle use? But no, he decided to ruin the outdoors for anyone deciding to enjoy a nice walk along the beach in the pedestrian use only area. Arrogant prick. Or maybe he just couldn't be bothered to learn the rules? Maybe he missed the crossover, but then what was wrong with his GPS? I mean, he's got GPS, what does he need landmarks for? He had no excuse for being in the wrong area.

The next time there is a distress call, I hope the rangers search the prohibited use area first because "when we have a vehicle that makes us feel safe, we are going to test the limits anyway? They should have been looking in the place where they shouldn't have been." - Queen Sheba. But I guess you'd all cry about that too.

Maybe we just need to add a $100K tax to all hummer and suv sales so that the park service can have better and more rangers on duty in the middle of winter on a Saturday evening just in case one of you get in trouble. Cheers.

Hummoron: You've made it pretty clear by your posts, that you live out there. I'm sorry you have to be so spiteful toward one guy who broke the rules and paid for it with his life.

Your posts really aren't about the accident on the beach, they're about your OPINION on peoples "selection of vehicle". What people in America drive does not cause gas prices to go up or down. But this is not the place to point all that out. This thread is a FACT FINDING mission about an Onstar call that was not followed up on properly. I don't think his being in a Hummer had anything to do with breaking the rules. He may have done it in any 4wd he was driving. It's pure speculation.

Linda wants to find out what went wrong, and why her friends died. She doesn't care if it was a Hummer or a Volkswagon. She wants to know what happened to make her friends die of exposure, when authorities had co-ordinates that would lead them to the scene.

One more thing: Maybe you didn't know this, but Hummers have an Onstar system that can be tracked using GPS. The earlier model Hummers do not have the kind of GPS you would use out on the trails to find out where you've been and where you are. Adams was a 2004, so maybe he did have it. I don't know. So, please don't speculate.

If you'd like to tell us your hatred of big SUV's, save it for another post.

If Linda's post is correct, Onstar recieved an emergency button, and airbag deployment alert. Why didn't they inform 911?

"After the park rangers’ initial search was called off late that first night, it wasn’t until the Starky’s body and the Hummer were found early the next morning that a comprehensive multi-agency search was conducted of the entire area. It remains to be seen if a similar search conducted the night before could have possibly found the crash site and the victims."

They weren't sure if there was someone out there; they weren't sure if it was an actual emergency; they weren't sure why the coordinates were so hard to locate; They just plain old weren't sure of anything. They should have called in the big dogs that night, just to be sure no one was out there.

Let's put it this way.
If the Coast Guard would have recieved that call, Adam and Jen would still be alive! I'm sure of it.

P.S. Take the BIG CAR tax idea and shove it up your ass. K?