View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 04:22 AM
Hummer Professional

31_bandits is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gas Milage Tips And Mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lext
Anyone have any ood Tips or Mods?
I Have a 03 h2, I am Averaging about 11.6, which is not bad. Is there anything that anyone has done that actually increases that number? Again, I Knwew what i was getting into, ( I also have a V8 Cj5 and a Lexus Lx 470).
Would a Supercharger help? Which Chip is the best? What about Cold air Intake?

Hey Lext,

i have the same curiosity - how to improve mileage if possible.

I'm very surprised by how GOOD the mileage on my H2 has been. The dealer suggested that getting <10 around town shouldn't be a surprise, and even suggested that <10 on the highway in adverse (75, into wind, whatever they said) might happen.

But as of today, my vehicle has used 255.7 gallons of gas over 3292 miles, or an avg. of 12.9. When i got it, it had 50 or 60 miles and an average of 3 or 4 (i can't exactly remember, although i think i wrote it down somewhere), so in the time i've driven it its averaged about 13.5.

The first tank was 11.5, the 2nd most recent tank was 14.5, and today i put on 400 miles on the highway - first into the wind, then turn around with the wind for a round-trip, and got 14.6 with an avg speed of 65-70. 12.5 into and almost 17 with the wind.

It doesn't seem to me that i drive anything but normal. And there are 2 off-roading sessions on that, during which i probably got 4 mpg

Some things that i have noticed are that mileage drops off fairly quickly as speeds go above 55 on the highway. you might pay 1mpg for 5 more MPH. I don't idle alot as part of my normal living, so that helps & i've always been fond of coasting to stops if i can rather than using the brakes. But its not like i'm driving like a hybrid dude & causing 10 car pile ups by merging onto the freeway at 40 in an ongoing attempt to approach the EPA ratings.

beats the crap out of me. but my mileage isn't really any worse than any full size pickup or large SUV.

The closest thing there is here to a hummer "tuner" shop touted some Airraid intakes and whatever exhausts as adding 2-3mpg, but that guys H2 reads 8.7. I know he tows things with it alot (no towing for me) & it idles around in their lot often, and they have alot of performance parts & generally drive like raped apes, but i can't figure how they think they get 2-3 mpg more. they were getting 6 before?

So i might try an intake or whatever... but only if somebody agrees to take it back if it mucks things up.