View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

Aluminum strip, folded to fit along backside of toolbox

This is a 1/8" thick, 1 1/2" wide, 36" long strip of aluminum that I picked up in the metal by the piece section of a local home improvement store.

I drilled a hole to mount it using the bolt that holds the top of the tire jack (right side) which was where the front of the interior spare tire carrier used to be anchored. I pushed the toolbox into it to establish the bend point in the back left, then folded it again to align with the rear anchor point that the interior spare tire carrier mounted to. Then I drilled three holes in the strip, two on the long edge, and one on the short edge on the left side. I filed these holes square to accept some 1"x1/4" carriage bolts which will be inserted into the back edge of the toolbox to hold it in place.

Note that I trimmed the strip on the left end to that the rear lift gate can close without hitting it. A hacksaw (recommendation: use goggles. I broke a blade and it hit me in the eye, ouch) will do the cut easily and a file to smooth off the edges/points.

Also, I used several washers behind the strip on the right to ensure it sits out from the trim a little bit and then I put several strips of foam tape along the back side of the strip to reduce scraping of the trim over time.
Attached Images