View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

Easy enough mod. I used 36" Alu piece (Home Depot), to build the bracket, by just bending it in the right places, and drilling a few holes. Yeah, I know, I know, but I really love the versatility of black electrical tape!! (as some can attest I'm sure!! ) . Anyways, its a temporary finish..

The box is from Costco (comes with a bigger rolling bottom box); the "HUMMER" is from Ebay; and the spacers (another work in progress) is required because the top of the wheelwell slopes down. I prefer nothing hard/sharp/pointed as spacers, as conceivably you can bounce hard enough (on a gnarly trail) to damage the wheelwell trim.

The box is steel, which is important as it simply attaches to the back bracket by drilling some holes, short machines screws and wingnuts. It's large enough to put my aircompressor, tow strap, tie-rod kit, and other odds and ends.

I can access most of the content fine where it is. If I needed to have the box removable on a constant basis, I would build a matching front bracket, hinge it at one end, and attach it with a big wingnut at the front.

A couple of points you want to watch for:

- Make sure the bracket is flush enough, so that it doesn't ding the interior plastic trim of your liftgate when you slam it close.

- Make sure there is enough clearance so that the lid of the box can be opened without scratching the rear speaker cover.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR MOD!