View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd like more interior storage in my H2. I'd love to have a storage vault drawer, but I don't want to give up what little vertical room there is in the rear cargo area.

To keep stuff secure (i.e. not flying about killing people in an accident), I keep it in a largish bin that I strap down to the 3rd row seat mounts. If I need the space to haul something, I can move the bin.

This is fine for stuff I rarely want to access, but for more frequently used stuff it's a pain to get to it AND keep it secured.

Since, I've removed the interior spare to get space and I can't really see out the left rear window anyhow, I figured there's four frame-mounted anchor points available to use for anchoring some kind of bracket/shelf to facilitate more storage like in the e-sketch below.

The level area that's created would have a rectangular area above it of up to 26x 18 x 11 inches (see yellow dimension lines). I haven't yet found the right kind of storage box yet, but there's got to be something like a small topsider or underbody truck storage box with a side door that could be bolted onto the bracket in this space.

And if you weren't interested in mounting a storage box, you could at least strap down a large toolbox or other gear. In that case it might make sense to make the legs a bit taller to make sure the little storage bin in the OE panel is still accessible.

Thoughts (I already know I might be stupid or crazy)?

Any one with a fab shop that would want to try to make something like this?

If it existed, would you want it if it were finished nicely?

I have no clue of the economics of this. I don't know how many SUVs are out there and how many of those have the interior tire removed or even if all model years even have the interior spare mount anchor points.
Attached Images