H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 09-29-2005, 10:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

ShaunH3 is off the scale

I'm still hunting for a quality air horn setup and have yet to solidified anything yet.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Grover Air Horn setups?
Grover Air Horns

Any thoughts??

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

ShaunH3 is off the scale

I'm still hunting for a quality air horn setup and have yet to solidified anything yet.

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Grover Air Horn setups?
Grover Air Horns

Any thoughts??

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:28 AM

shipbldr is off the scale

Base on my very limited experience, but rather protracted research... I increasingly think its the AMOUNT of air you feed to the horn, not just the PSI that makes a difference.

Grover horns are probably great. It's very difficult to make a bad horn. Not a horn with a bad paint job or bad chrome...(that still sounds good)... that's easy!!

My horn came with a little 3/16th air line. It was ok. Loud. Mildly impressive.

Then I replaced the 3/16 air line with a 3/8 air line, a 5 gallon tank, and the cut the pressure to 70psi. The difference in volume was amazing! (Pain threshold crossed!)

So I think its air volume, not dollar volume, that makes a horn loud.

Tank fed systems will probably always beat out pump fed systems.

Beyond that, there aren't really any moving parts in the horns. The real difference seems to come down to the tone or sound. Three trumpet horns sound better to my ears than two trumpet setups. Four and five trumpet nathan air horns sound even better.

I guess its all a matter of personal taste in the end.

So what do you watch out for?

The #1 hassle air horn owners report: broken air compressor. Just ask around here on the board.

It seems like when people finally get tired of screwing around with cheap broken pumps they buy a viair, arb, or other high-grade pump. It's a little bit more coin... but they're also hassle free.

My 2 cents...

2 Pissed off dealer mechanics, Origami frame, Convex UCP, 2 Bent cross members, Dented driveshaft, Broken sway bar mounts, misaligned transmission, exhaust leak, Pl
Old 09-30-2005, 11:19 AM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

I have those Grovers. The ones I got are sold through LiteGlow and mounted on a different manifold that what's pictured on the Grover site.

Shippy is right, the volume of air is the key, not so much the pressure. The more air you can run across the diaphram the better. I'm currently using 1/4" line and they sound pretty good. I was emailing with the guy at Grover on the best way to tune them and he informed me I should be using 1/2" line. So I'm shopping for that now.

If you want to hear the general tone of the horns watch Shipbldr's Paragon video. I'm hitting them in the first minute or two of the video.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2Singh is off the scale

any pics of air horn installs, where are you mounting the horns and the air tanks??
Old 10-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

ShaunH3 is off the scale

Dan:
Thanks for the details on the hose sizing, that will definately come in handy and save some time! I think I will just go straight to 1/2" when I do my setup.

shipbldr or Dan - Do you have any sound clips? Detail install pics with where you are mounting the horn and tanks?

Thanks!!
Old 10-02-2005, 03:57 AM
Hummer Veteran

ShaunH3 is off the scale

HAHAHAHAHA
CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO............
http://gregoxsen.com/video/ver4_1000k.wmv

and this website for more:

http://www.hornblasters.com/
Old 10-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ShaunH3:
HAHAHAHAHA
CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO............
http://gregoxsen.com/video/ver4_1000k.wmv

and this website for more:

http://www.hornblasters.com/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LMFAO!!!!
Old 10-20-2005, 12:41 AM

Tcool is off the scale

Dan, where did you install the compressor and horns in the SUT? I bought the liteglow 3 horn train set up on Ebay, and am not sure where to put it. Thanks, T
Old 10-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Hummer Guru

Did you buy just the horns or their whole kit? That compressor/tank combo is a P.O.S. Mine blew up in the first week. They still owe me a new one and its been 3 months since I RMA'd it.

I mounted a 3 gallon tank and a Viair compressor in the jack compartment. I actually have a new tank coming with 1/2" ports to accommodate the new 1/2" line and valve I bought. The jack & stuff is under the back seat now.

Charles, did you regulate down to 70psi or do you have an adjustable pressure switch? Is there a negligible difference between 70 and say 150? I'm running 150psi to the horns right now.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2005, 10:54 AM

Hi Dan,

I adjusted the pressure down to 70.... by using a pump that only delivered 70 PSI. (At first)

My new pump is doing 135-150 psi (still making final call on pressure switch setting...)

Yes, the extra 50-70 psi makes a difference... but the BIGGEST difference was the bigger hose.

Big hose was very big noice... but the extra 50+ psi with the big hose is what made it ear splitting... It does actually hurt when it goes off. I have become very careful to roll up the windows before exercising the button.

I mounted my solenoid valve as close to the horn as possible. This also made a difference.

Looks like a nice setup there Dan! I can't wait to hear it!

2 Pissed off dealer mechanics, Origami frame, Convex UCP, 2 Bent cross members, Dented driveshaft, Broken sway bar mounts, misaligned transmission, exhaust leak, Pl
Old 10-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Hummer Guru

Ok, just making sure I'm not wasting air by having the pressure up to max.

That pic is of the current setup. The new tank is chrome. It was the only one I could find with 1/2" ports in the dimensions I needed. The valve is an Xtreme GC 250

I plan to put the valve right before the horn manifold.

Hopefully the stuff will come today or tomorrow so I could do the upgrade over the weekend.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:39 PM

That's going to be sick