H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-01-2003, 02:32 AM

H2 Daddy is off the scale

I took an off roading class this weekend and broke my transfer case for the second time. We had gone up huge hills, that I would have never tried if I had not taken this class, all day long and even steep ones were feeling routine. At the end of the day we were going up a very small hill which had loose soil. I had to give it some gas to get through the soft soil and about 3/4 of the way up, I hear a bang sound. I stopped and then tried to go again but only the front wheels would turn. The instructor is a Hummer mechanic. He said the TC was gone. We winched my H2 up the hill and that was the end of wheeling for my truck. Luckly it was the end of the day anyway. The next day I rode in a H1. There are some pictures in the photo section. The first time my TC broke I was not wheeling.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:32 AM

I took an off roading class this weekend and broke my transfer case for the second time. We had gone up huge hills, that I would have never tried if I had not taken this class, all day long and even steep ones were feeling routine. At the end of the day we were going up a very small hill which had loose soil. I had to give it some gas to get through the soft soil and about 3/4 of the way up, I hear a bang sound. I stopped and then tried to go again but only the front wheels would turn. The instructor is a Hummer mechanic. He said the TC was gone. We winched my H2 up the hill and that was the end of wheeling for my truck. Luckly it was the end of the day anyway. The next day I rode in a H1. There are some pictures in the photo section. The first time my TC broke I was not wheeling.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:33 AM
H2 Club Houston Chapter Founder

BADRAP is off the scale

Ouch man, sorry to hear that.. I have heard several others around here talk about his happening.... Guess you have to be careful sometimes, even when you are having fun...Hope you get it all fixed...

BADRAP
03 H2, Lux, Pewter
H2 Club - Houston Chapter..
badrap@sbcglobal.net
Old 07-01-2003, 03:57 AM

DROPER is off the scale

The pains of working out the kinks of a new design. Frustrating for sure. I haven't broke anything "yet" but I have all sorts of clunking sounds when the tranny hunts between 2nd and 1st (rolling to a stop or under 15mph slowing and then accelerating).

The most recent issue is a harmonic ringing sound coming from the drivetrain between 30-40mph. It almost sounds like a subtle but annoying whine (like you have super swampers on it). I am just waiting for it to blow.

GM has some work to do on the transmissions and full-time all wheel drive.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:12 PM

PhilD

No I don't know about the condition of the fluid in the TC before it blew. I was going to look but never got around to it.

I got my H2 back yesterday. It was towed (flatbed truck) back to the dealer Sunday and it was done Tuesday. Good service, they had the parts overnighted Monday night.

The broken parts were the carrier, gear and a gasket. It was fixed under warranty.

The first time the TC broke the parts were; shaft, case, bushing, bearing, wheel, seal, pump, and gasket.

The reason the first time the TC broke was the following; "rear prop shaft & frt yoke seized to rear transfer case bushing.

The reason the second time the TC broke was gear teeth broke off.

So the two incidents were not related.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:37 AM

buddy is off the scale

It's not as painful to have things break while under warranty. When the 3/36 yr/mi and the extended warranties have expired, it's time to unload the H2, and get a new one. Repairs could end up being too costly, and take all the fun out of off roading.

One of my S-10's had 800 miles left on the extended warranty when $4300 worth of repairs were required. AutoTranny was $2300 alone. I was lucky.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:54 AM

Buddy, by your response, I would think you were dis'in the H2. Yea it sucks to have things break outside of warranty, which has not happened with the H2. But you know what, I have been buy buying vehicles for years and all of them have had something wrong. Even my Lexus, and cadillac vehicles. After a couple of decades of buying vehicles, I have never been as excited four months later, after taking posssession, as I have been after the purchase of my H2. I love the looks, handeling, abilities (off road), towing, and uniqueness. The whole time I have had this truck, I still am infatuated. This is from a Car Guy who get's board easily with vehicles. I have bought and sold or traded vehicles within one to two years, but the H2 is a vehicle that has hooked me. I am always looking to add accesories, that will make it a better off-roader, and/or add to the appearence of the persona of the H2. In short, I'am a H2 fan and nothing, including break downs, could change my mind.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:17 AM

buddy is off the scale

H2Daddy,

No dislikes here, just saying" if it going to break, let it break while under warranty". I'll buy an extended warranty when the 3/36 expires.
It gives me a little peace of mind not to have to worry about things breaking. What would be the cost of repairing or replacing the TC's?
Old 07-03-2003, 12:07 PM

I was with a Hummer mechanic when it broke. I and the H1 owner took this mechanic's off-roading class and we were joking that we travel with our own mechanic. Anyway, the mechanic said that if my H2 was not under warranty, I would have been looking at least a $1,000.