H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-28-2005, 04:53 AM

txsteal77 is off the scale

have 2 new H2's and I'm curious if i change the gear ratio's from 4:10 to 3:50 will it make that much of a difference in gas milage? the actual gears aren't that expensive and my brother says he'll put them in for me. i realize that the torque will drop quite a bit, but i'm not planning on hauling anything. maybe i can get some feedback or maybe someone who has tried it can let me know. thanks.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:53 AM

have 2 new H2's and I'm curious if i change the gear ratio's from 4:10 to 3:50 will it make that much of a difference in gas milage? the actual gears aren't that expensive and my brother says he'll put them in for me. i realize that the torque will drop quite a bit, but i'm not planning on hauling anything. maybe i can get some feedback or maybe someone who has tried it can let me know. thanks.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:04 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by txsteal77:
have 2 new H2's and I'm curious if i change the gear ratio's from 4:10 to 3:50 will it make that much of a difference in gas milage? the actual gears aren't that expensive and my brother says he'll put them in for me. i realize that the torque will drop quite a bit, but i'm not planning on hauling anything. maybe i can get some feedback or maybe someone who has tried it can let me know. thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>PM HUMMERcustoms/TAZ or HummersGoneWild
They'll take care of you.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I don't know about this. It's not like some other vehicles. First it weighs a whole lot, so you'll have a tendancy to put foot into to get it going offsetting some.

Also, it IS a brick. So at highway speed aero is the main culprit on sucking the fuel, I would think.

BUT I thoroughly agree with Ken.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Hummer Messiah

HGW can give you exact numbers. But it really won't do you any good. Paragon is right, you will have to put your foot into it.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:23 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

HGW will have exact numbers if You want them.

Do not do it. You will have such a doggy machine You will wonder why did I buy this and it was not the H2's fault. It is geared where it should be for normal use. If You do anything You go to 4.56 and that is if You are going to be off roading like all the time. I would say to justify the 4.56 You would use them for their intentions that unless the misses is with you You will end up divorced.
I may go to 4.56 since I do not drive it much as it is for shows but, it would help it on the low end when I'm out goofing around and blow rice rockets off the road at launch.

We do not recommend changing gears unless a person can provide a real good reason We should do it for them against Our better judgment for them. It would be payday but, not worth seeing someone unhappy. I share it only to support My recomendation. We do not do things for the all mighty dollar. We turn down lot's of work because We do not want Our name associated with it is being done because it is going to go bad.
Run Your rig like it is and just have a light foot and you will get good milage. Before I went the KenP way of power I got an avg. MPG of 12.9 when I drove it civil. I did have many aftermarket perf. items on and if You want to PM Me i will guide you on that.

I still can get up to 10 or 11 if i keep My foot out of it but, it is extremely rich so i'm hoping as i fine tune and lean it out I will gain more MPG. I'm running a program that scans all the time and after 100 miles i will check it in the editor and make a change download and run it another 100 miles. I do not drive it enough to worry but, the experimentation is to learn so i can help customers. Soon I'm going to start tuning pure stock H2's as My discovery is they are so rich I wonder if I can tune it and get another 3 MPG and do it safely. problem is Your dealer. Will He go along. My dealer will as We work close together and he is perf. oreinted so Our states customer will be able to benefit from the experiments. it will not be expermintal when i start doing it as it will be fine tuned but then and i may just flash PCM's and sell it so they can pull it and put stock back in when going to dealer. Like a hand held but, i do not want to get into making handheld. I would just rather mail you a PCM that costs less than handheld by allot. Anyway working on things to help My Hummer brothers.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 07-28-2005, 08:15 PM
Hummer Messiah

Taz, I'm looking to go with 4.88 or 5.13's. Just waiting on John to give me some numbers. Oh, and AFTER Moab. That's a long drive with that kind of gear.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:14 PM

i appreciate the posts..Thanks alot. sometimes you never know what to expect with those things but some people figure the manufacuturer will automatically put the best possible gear. probaly for all purpose use that's true but i was thinking since i didn't have to tow anything or go offroad maybe it might be a good option. my brother changed gears in his ford excursion and got almost a 20% increase in milage. but then again his wasn't an all wheel drive. who knows for sure. thaks for the input and i'd like to hear on any other mods that will help. even if its just a little.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:45 AM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

Ken: I do owe you those numbers--not until Moab--they will hurt your gas mileage. Those gears are for 1/4 mile times only--they do reduce your crawl ratio but so what--how often do you really crawl?

The H2 is such a dog already that going to less than 4.10 is a big mistake. It won't get out of its own way and you will not save a drop of gas unless you are driving from NJ to CA without hitting the brakes.

Gas mileage and H2 will never go together. The weight , the 4WD, and the aerodynamics just make it what it is---a bad ass looking big machine that turns heads and pisses off the tree huggers.

No mod will pay for itself unless you keep the big dog forever. The best mod is a cheap Honda to drive around for mileage.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:23 AM
Hummer Authority

Ken I have been thinking the same on the lower gear change. John I would like those numbers also when you get them. I'm figuring that 4.56 is not enough and may as well go to 4.88 or more if going to do it. It will require stretching the 1st and 2nd gear shift points though or You could rap it up fast enough to blow it easier. Not necessarily but it improves the possibility with the shift points not spread out farther but, leaving the torque management out completely. I will have to rebuild My tranny for sure for that though. If I do it I cannot wait to see My cousins face again the next time We race.

John what is Your thought on that. Is 4.56 just messing around and not really getting the job done. With the lower gears I can help do allot of things with tuning and change shift points etc. We are working on getting better and imaginative with the tuning. It just seems that 4.56 is just not going far enough unless You say it is plenty at 4.56 John. let me know what you think.
I owe you a phone call and will get with you Sunday night. I need to make another trip out to see You so I may do that in August if You can put up with Me a few days. I would like to see more of Princeton University and the 200 year old homes You restore. That was one of the very interesting things i saw while out there with My daughter was the beautiful homes You restored. interested also in seeing the old dorms you were getting ready to do. Well anyway I'll call at the usually time on Sunday. If You want to wait till then on the gear stuff fine if not let it go here so all can learn.

I'm going to put a team together to take on Predator and Fox racing for the fastest Hummer challenge. John, Anthony should be interested in this for sure if You want to mention it to Him. Have many interested but, this is a project that will take time, money, sponsor's that are commited and I need partners in it for the long haul and can help in all the areas. Pick up sponsor's or help with cash as I will do also or just fund raising. I plan to by the rig We use myself. I'm not going with diesel but, twin turbo charged gas burner H2 stripped out by the rules etc. Lower it and run at salt flats, if they will agree to do it there. If not We will go with the salt flats and set new records in what ever class We can find to be in. If anyone wants in and has connections or abilities to help email Me at rltaz13@hotmail.com

I plan to drive it unless i feel someone can do better and that may not be hard. Please if serious email me and tell Me how You can help. We will most likely build it in My shop but, not out of reason to find a more central location where the team could meet once or twice a month to work on rig. If anyone has ideas on that let Me know also.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 07-29-2005, 09:33 AM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

Rick:
I missed you last Sunday but will be around this week.

I need to know more about this challange---I have been wrapped up in promo and video shoots.

I sell a Banks Twin Turbo for the H2 that is absolutely amazing BUT it is not street legal. I assume that the competitors will not be street legal either??????
Old 07-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Banned

HGW, what makes it not street legal?
Old 07-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Hummer Messiah

Rick, I had a buddy work the numbers on 4.56's and it's very similar to putting 33" tires on. I just want to make sure I don't run out of gear in the 1/4 by going too small.

Paragon, I imagine it's smog problems.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Banned

That's what I thought and wanted to make sure. We don't have those issues around here.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:50 PM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

Paragon:

The Banks Twin Turbo is awsome---however it is based on a Gen 1 Block and therefor does not hook up to modern OBD II compliant vehicles.

It is designed for the pre OBD II vehicles w/o EPA polution guidelines. There is no plan for Banks to do an OBD II compliant twin turbo.

Lingenfelter does one however that I can get my hands on. Watch you pocketbook on both the Lingefelter and the Banks--you can buy another H2 for the installed cost on either. SPEED costs lots of green!
Old 07-29-2005, 06:02 PM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

This chart is for 1-1, not overdrive--in third gear (1-1) you need 31's simulate 4.56.

The calculations I do are for rpm at the end of the 1/4 mile so you do not run out of tire, causing a shift to OD in the 1/4
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Hummer Authority

John the challenge will not be on anything street legal. It was just announced and I'll talk to You more sunday when We have time. The only place I would want to do it is on the salt flats. If Predator does not then fine there are records to be set officially on the flats. that is where We need many type of members on the team. Someone to just do logistics and find out what records are avialable say in 4X4 diesel and gas. 1/4 mile,1/8 mle,0 to 60, 0 to 100. then top speed in a timed trap etc.etc. someone to handle those details while other members raise money and sponsors etc. and other that build. that is where i figured Anthony and My guy Drew would work well together, they both understand new tech, but, both are old school a good mix. My tuner Tim take care of all that. It is all he lives eats and breaths and i have started a program set for Myself where i plan on getting as good as he is in short order. But, Tim is hard to beat just like Anthony and Drew would be hard to beat in putting the engine and drive line together. i also have the best Vette man in Arkansas and has many from out of state that come to him. He would be a huge help on the tranny as Our 2 guys can handle the engine and forced induction. We for sure would want the tt setup for this. I do intend to use My baby to work an a few records with a supercharger also. my small underdtanding John is they brake the records down into a lot of small catagories so that there is something for everyone to compete in. so i'm thinking supercharger in 1/4,1/8, 0 to 60, 0 to 100 and top timed trap speed. I mentioned in plan to drive unless We find someone more suited to do it. it will be a job hard to take away from me but, i am a team player. I just do not feel that they should go unchallenged. What We are able to do is going to be based on finaces. We have the expertise with Anthony and Drew and Tim but the hard part will be finances and sponsors. There has to be a few good at that namely you John and some others. i think it is just something We need to seriuioly look at. i do know this My h2 will be so far out there in power i will run it anyway. But to compete with Predator and Fox they are saying a 6.6l turbo diesel by next salt flat season they expect to be 800 to 900 Hp and 1400 ft lbs. of torque. Well torque is good for the 0 to 60, 1/4 etc. which is what they sound like they are doing in trying to take on the vette which they have done that successfully and next is Ferrari 360. Those are good targets but, how about going farther and trying those numbers and doing the timed trap top speed at the flats. So We go prepared to do gear changes based on what We are timing for. We need someone to find all the records We can go for in a 4x4 class ride. I just get all bent out of shape when someone does something and no one steps up to take the challenge. You and I can discuss it more this sunday and then i need to fly out later in august and We really get serious about it. I know i'm going with what i got because i know what We have with horrible tuning and sponsor will take care of that. i know what i have without engine oil cooling and co2 sprayed on intercooler. I have not tuned or run with fuel line ice bucket or water/methanol injection. and just many other tweeks. I will not say where We plan to be because there are to many that do not understand the will of the mind even with limitations of the physical mechanical process. If you say it cannot be done because the block will not take it then you really never know because an engineer has convinced you in your mind it is not worth trying. But, that is why We have sophisticated diagnostic tools to push the envelope without damage and then maybe just a little more. it will take an effort of many to do this but, i know in My shop I have 6 believers because i told them what do We have to lose. they have seen the plan i have been implementing not just for shows but, to be as powerful as nice looking.
John I see a lowered H2 stripped as much as allowed and air dams to prevent lift from underside, which is right up My guys alley as well as the air dams which Tim races Autocross and works in those numbers all the time. Yeah We are a bunch of upstarts compared to Fox racing but, who says the big names have all the answers. True they could out spend anyone but, would it not be fun to try. so We will talk more and give you time to think between now and sunday night.
John and Ken i will get You to help Me with gear selection for the mall Queen. Ken i'm thinking the same as you are on the 1/4. I would bug Drew but We are trying to get 3 or 4 rigs ready for shows the next few weeks. I'm missing this one i wanted to go to so bad, a yellow h2 is supposed to be coming out of state and I was told i was the one to hold Him off but, no go this time. Our chroming equip. broke down so We will start on My girl after We spend the rest of this weekend focusing on the rigs We are taking to the show then back to the Mall Queen.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:33 AM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

Rick--we need to talk Sunday and find out your criteria.

The best thing to do with the mag is to go out to 402 plus/minus cubes with a bulletproof block--we build race engines and know the parts--rods, crank, connecting rods, cam, heads, etc.

For the intercooler it has to be bigger-- I have a guy in Idaho who has the right one---you can also use Nitros injection on the outside of the intercooler---the rice guys do it all the time--easier than ice. The reason ice is used at sanctioned tracks is that the nitrous bottles always raise questions by the offcials---ice removes all doubt.

These things I talk about will make that H2 run like a rocket for its size and weight. No front driveshaft either--put the power to the rear wheels only unless the contest class is for a 4 x 4.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:03 AM
Hummer Authority

John thinking like I am. The contest from initial word is to be 4X4. We are running co2 on the Dragon's intercooler and I'm going to setup as well. We are going back to the old schoolers and some of the young guys like Tim and Dragon and putting the things together and Anthony could meld it all together better than anyone most likely. I liked Him allot and from talking You could tell even though He was quiet He knew what he was talking about. Also You tell Him i said Hi. I wish We could have visited longer. I think mechanic wise with Anthony in the lead with Drew We have what We need but, be willing to listen to all ideas. If I cannot get support to do the big gig against Fox I will owhat I can with My h2 as it gets more powerful all the time.
We are going to do the ice bucket one for double cool depending on heat like in the salt flats but it looks good in billet in the engine bay. I primarially want to rely on water/methanol and co2 at WOT for the cooling. It is the only time You need it which in those runs would be from start to finish. I'm experimenting with the co2 along with the W/M inj. for the street rigs so that cost will be minumim.
Talk to you later
TAZ
Old 08-01-2005, 01:35 AM
Hummer Authority

John have another reason I'm going with CO2. Most of the rice rockets here have gone to it for cost. We are working on finding room for water/methanol, ice bucket and CO2 bottle. I think I'm going to incorporate it into subs and amps area if Dragon wants to that is. He is in charge of A/V so I'll leave it to Him to work in bottle. We mentioned it today. John I cannot wait to get You new Pics of Dragons Celica Gt. It is similar to the old Pics but, i would not have thought He could have improved it but, it is. the Colorado is different colors now and My girl is changing a little with ghost flames but, mostly with many many coats of clear.

I have a trick i pulled out of some technology that these kids in the shop, well just had not thought about but, partly because they have no experience in the area. Imentioned it to Dragon so We may end up with a new addition to Our business. i will tell you about it later. With You being in the business We both share you will understand it. Not as efficient as in the tech. i took it from but, working on it and perfecting it and i'll share it once I'm sure it will work the way i'm hoping. But it will help cool the intercooler allot more. Nitrous freezes the intercooler which is ok if air to air but, can cause problems with water/antifreeze mix in supercharger so i got this idea to cool CO2 down more but not to the point of freezing so it would work better on water to air intercooler so there is no slush problem.
I hoping that the effect will be to also cool engine temp down all around with rqadiator as well as tranny and transfer temps all with the one device i'm working on. It will lose it's efficeiancy as it works it's way through the layers of cooling coils but, will help.
TAZ