H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-23-2006, 05:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

dallas007 is on a distinguished road
Default CHECK YOUR P/STEERING LINE

While headed to San Diego last weekend we were going through some small mountains, about 4,000 ft elevation. About half way up, the check engine light starts to flash. All the temp's are fine so not sure what was going on. It flashed about 10 times and then stopped. Everything seemed ok so I continued on in to San Diego. When I stopped in town I pulled up next to an old Blazer and heard the power steering pump growling real bad. I thought to myself the poor guy in the Blazer really had a problem. He pulled away but the noise remained. I pulled over as the pump was really making a loud noise now. Under the hood I found the black rubber power steering line had a large hole worn in it, fluid was dripping under my H2 and that area of the engine compartment was covered in fluid. The spark plug wire was burned completely in half. The plastic that surrounded some of the wiring was melted as there was actual damage from flame. As a side note I was 400 miles from home and thought I was really in trouble now as I could not drive it. I went to Weseloh Hummer in (Bill Chandler service writer) Carlsbad CA and was treated like gold. A loaner, excellent service, etc. It took them a couple days to fix the wiring and replace the spark plug wire and p/s line. The hose had been rubbing against the black cover on the inside upper fender well. Not sure why it was not secured and I have now used zip ties to tie everything together so no more rubbing.

I have a 2004 H2 with 20,000 miles. I am always looking around the engine area on a regular basis and not sure how this slipped by me. Just wanted the rest of you fine folks to keep and eye on yours. I was lucky to have such an outstanding dealer help me out. I know a dealer is suppose to provide repairs, but these folks were first class. Seems people let others know when there is a bad dealer, so I sure want others to know these folks were great.

Good luck!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 05:31 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CHECK YOUR P/STEERING LINE

Thanks for the info. I'm going to check our lines in the morning.

Glad that dealership took care of an "outsider".