H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 11-29-2003, 12:52 PM

alecs wife is off the scale

How did we get off topic?????? I think we started discussing the benefits of lockers for the front of the H2. I think lockers will improve the capabilities of any rig, solid or independent.

Have fun with your rig. I see based on your grounds why you would want a beefed up rig.

R2

Front Locker, Stealth winch, 37" Super Swampers SSR,low center of gravity = Ultimate H2
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This post and any pictures posted with it are the property of Adam in CO and/or his affiliates. The contents of this post are confidential and may contain information that is privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under all
Old 12-01-2003, 04:10 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

It's commonly referred to as SFA, Solid Front Axle....never heard of SAS, but it's all good.

I've spoken with a few techies about such a thing (IFS to SFA) and they firmly believe that the IFS on the H2 is amazingly better performing then you'd imagine and there'd only be a slight margin of improvment in performance. Dollar-per-value, I'd put my money on the front-locker first and foremost.

A lot of people who are really into solid axles overlook the benefits of the independent set-up. When your axle starts lifting, it may push the other wheel downward, but it also starts turning the wheels/tire on it's edge. Also, I don't think we sacrifice that much clearance with the IFS.

Beyond that (and taking in a dose of huge reality)...the H2 just isn't ever going to be a rock-crawler: it's too wide, too long a wheelbased and just inherently doesn't have enough clearance. All that work putting an SFA on an H2 is like putting small wings on a hippo: it's never gonna fly anyways!!!

Lastly: some of these non-Hummer guys walk on egg-shells and try to oblige us at every turn...it's really not fair to jump on them and dis their stuff just cause they're not Hummer owners. IF they get nasty/mean...then fine, light 'em up....but if they are cordial and play friendly, let's learn and keep an open door policy.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:32 AM

crash is off the scale

SFA is a term used when its got a straight axle from the factory SAS is when you cut the IFS off and put a straight axle in... Thats the terms we have been using for about 6 years.

When you have a front tire start to compress, usually there are only 2 factors that go into what will cause the other side to droop. 1 being the rear spring rates, forcing the front tire to droop, and the front tire compressing and hitting a bump stop, forcing the other tire to droop (force articulation so to speak....

Now, the comment of the tire riding on the edge, I don't see that, I do however see an IFS doing this more. Here is an example, take a line and draw it at 30 degrees from left to right. make the body of the rig level and both front tires on the line(showing the front at the 30 degree angle). On a straight axle, both tires are level to the surface, where the ifs is not due to the nature of how its desinged...

I agree, the H2 is just too big(not saying that you can't, just the reality of it) for playing in the big rocks.

But I agree, go with a locker in the front, but make it selectable (been running arb's since 94)

certified H2 tech. troll
Old 12-01-2003, 06:10 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

oh yeah....e-locker on the front for sure, only to be used in extreme conditions. My buddy has both front & rear lockers and he says there's virtually no steering when both locked!

As for the slanted-tire thing....put the front right tire on an 18" rock...the right tire will rise up into the wheel-well while the front-left will fall out to the ground. On IFS the left tire is sitting square on the ground, while the axle'd tire is at an angle or moving towards its edge. Course, if aired down this is no big deal. It's just something someone pointed out to me once.

Crash...the spy shots of the new H3 depict rear leaf-springs instead of a coil set-up....what do you suppose is the thinking here??? Do leafs offer a smooother ride, better articulation, less costly to make???? what do you figure?????

Also...drop me an email, gotta chat with you aboput something. Homeinsulation@aol.com
Old 12-01-2003, 01:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

Ted is off the scale

Here are two pics that really show the differace between IFS, and SAF. This is the some rig, but the owner did a SAS.

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/...xle/4run88.jpg

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/...xle/4run96.jpg
Old 12-01-2003, 01:51 PM

Detonate is off the scale

Visually, I see the difference. Functionally I do not.

With a Front Locker, that rig could go over the same obstacle just as smooth.

------------------------------
2003 Red H2 equipped with Tough Country Heavy Duty Armor Series Front End with Winch, Rear Bumper, Brush Guard, and Roof Rack.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:44 PM

crash is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alec W:
crash, what do you think a SAS would cost on an H2?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats a hard call, it boild down to what front diff you want to run, and in that, you could easily spend 6k on a custom jobbie. And in my opinion, a dana 60 is probably just right for the weigth of that rig, and even with a basic diff, you will be into that close to 2500 just for a basic setup.. The steering box probably would be ok, and then you would have to either run leafs up front, or coils/coilovers with a 4 link (or 3 link w/panhard bar)...
But realisticly you could be into about 5-7k...

certified H2 tech. troll