H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 10-18-2005, 04:29 PM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

Alright, so here I am, on the fence wondering if I should switch to an H3 or stick with my H2. All I ever really wanted the H2 for was the off-road ability and reliability. Now with the H3, I'm thinking I can get the same stuff in a smaller package. Is this really the case? Is the H3 just as competent as the H2? Which would you choose?

(Note: Posted a new discussion since the previous ones are pretty old)

My H3 Pros:
-Better MPG
-Smaller exterior dimensions
-Side airbags
-Stabillitrak
-Very similar off-road operating specs
-Rear-mounted tire (I have an early 2005 H2 sans tire carrier)
-Crawl ratio
-More water fording

My H3 Cons:
-Smaller interior dimensions and cargo space
-Less ground clearance
-Smaller towing capacity
-No global express down (I LOVE that feature)
-Less underbody protection

Also, I'd like a lower payoff at the end of my lease, so hopefully I can actually buy a car for once and stop throwing away so much cash.
H2 payoff is $35,000 vs. H3 payoff of about $17,000.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:29 PM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

Alright, so here I am, on the fence wondering if I should switch to an H3 or stick with my H2. All I ever really wanted the H2 for was the off-road ability and reliability. Now with the H3, I'm thinking I can get the same stuff in a smaller package. Is this really the case? Is the H3 just as competent as the H2? Which would you choose?

(Note: Posted a new discussion since the previous ones are pretty old)

My H3 Pros:
-Better MPG
-Smaller exterior dimensions
-Side airbags
-Stabillitrak
-Very similar off-road operating specs
-Rear-mounted tire (I have an early 2005 H2 sans tire carrier)
-Crawl ratio
-More water fording

My H3 Cons:
-Smaller interior dimensions and cargo space
-Less ground clearance
-Smaller towing capacity
-No global express down (I LOVE that feature)
-Less underbody protection

Also, I'd like a lower payoff at the end of my lease, so hopefully I can actually buy a car for once and stop throwing away so much cash.
H2 payoff is $35,000 vs. H3 payoff of about $17,000.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:32 PM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

You have very good points - I just would like to add a couple of my thoughts. The H3 groud clearance is lower but still adequate, the H3 has extra undercarriage protection that just bolts on for about $350.00.
Towing capacity on the H3 is ok but only on the automatic version. The iterior space is smaller but really should be fine for 90% of the time.

So basically the price is the biggest point, both insurance, gas and the vehicle. I pay about $75.00 / month insurance on the the H3. Way cheaper than my Z3.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

DWPC is an unknown quantity at this point

You say you bought the H2 for offroad and reliability, yet you seem to put priority on interior space and towing. Do you need them?

I think the H3 has better useable offroad capability than the H2; better crawl, better handling, better turn radius; and you won't tear the sides off it on trails made for much narrower vehicles. H3's shorter wheelbase makes the ground clearance a mostly non-issue; its got plenty. I don't miss express down (rarely use it in my Audi), but I do wish the rear window opened on the H3.

Be aware that if you need to tow anything heavier than very light trailer, the H3 will be hanging back with the big rigs on grades.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:15 PM

trebor is off the scale

My H3 has express down on the drivers window and express open and close on the sunroof. As for towing, I tow an off road setup '97 Wrangler, weighs about 3800#, tows it without any problems. Have towed it to a private dry lake about 70 miles away from my home. Tows the Jeep as if it were not there, even stopped very well. Seems the brakes were well designed, four pistons for the front.

I am thinking I will get an H2 in a year or so, probably buy a used one and put a disiel engine in it.
H3-Boulder Gray, Ebony Leather, Lux Pkg, Off Road Pkg, Auto, Power Sunroof, Chrome Pkg, XM, Brush Guard, Trailer Pkg, Rocker Panel Protection, Removable Assist Steps, Painted Hard Tire Cover, Chrome Fuel Door
Other 4x4s:
1997 Wrangler
2003 Expedit
Old 10-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

Sharkster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sfox:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DWPC:
I think the H3 has better useable offroad capability. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>hell, it even has more tow loops... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Where? Both cars have 2 at the front and 1 at the back.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:57 PM

x-humm is off the scale

Hey Don't feel bad. I towed my 24' boat (4800#) all the way from Orange County to Havazu. 370 miles aprox. and problems..by the way, we have 4 people sitting in the H3.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sharkster:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sfox:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DWPC:
I think the H3 has better useable offroad capability. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>hell, it even has more tow loops... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Where? Both cars have 2 at the front and 1 at the back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

H2 has two in the back correct.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 10-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

I'd miss the GLOBAL express down, where all four windows (or five on the SUT) go down and up at the push of one button.

Sorry for the bold! Just trying to highlight the quote.
You say you bought the H2 for offroad and reliability, yet you seem to put priority on interior space and towing. Do you need them?

I did buy it for the off-road ability, and reliability, which both vehicles share, so the question really comes down to other factors.

As for towing, that is important to me. Interior wise, I like having the extra room for big items and the shoulder/hip room. Do I need them? Well, I appreciate them at any rate.

Really, I like the Stabillitrac especially, since it has been shown to reduce single vehicle accidents by 40-60% (NHTSA.GOV). And head side impact protection reduces fatalities by 30-40% in side impact accidents (IIHS.ORG).

Also, my current insurance on the H2 is about $1600/year. It would only drop to about $1300/year on the H3. Slight benefit there.

As for the particulars like approach/breakover/departure, I'm not sure 1 degree of difference from the H2 or H1 makes much difference to me (H1 ALPHA is only 1 degree more in departure!). Granted, I will have the off-road suspension package with the 33" tires.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

DWPC is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

the H2 is simply better setup "stock" than the H3.

S </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe (just maybe) for playing where there's plenty of room. Very few even frequent 4x4ers would ever need the on-paper angle advantages of the H2 over the H3. I don't know where you wheel, but I was on a couple tight jeep trails in AZ last week that would have probably ruined an H2's day when you saw what your sides looked like afterward. You're six inches wider than a H3, but over a foot wider than the Jeeps that generally blazed the trails.

I'll take the H3's much better low range and much handier size over a couple degrees of departure angle any day. Not to mention the $20+ grand difference. In a pure technical contest, maybe you'll win, but if I want to take a real-world 10-mile switchback trail to a new trout stream; I'd rather take the H3.

Maybe I should have said more practical instead of more useable. Just my opinion.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Dude, that makes absolutely no friggin sense. The H2 has better approach angle, better breakover, bigger/more aggressive tires, better under-carriage protection, better break-over...hell, it even has more tow loops...also, little things like the rear bumper and muffler desgin are simply better thought out on the H2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a H3 and have to agree with what he said. Not that the H3 is bad it just isn't better overall.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it all really comes down to preference. There are those that have had an H2 that would hate the H3 and visa versa. They both have advantages but they both have their place in the Hummer family If I had my choice, I would have both

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 10-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, so as of now, we have an SUT and and H3. I drive both every week. For driving in the city I prefer the H3 just for parking and turning around in smaller areas. On the HWY, I prefer the ride of the H2 better but like the gas mileage better on the H3.

I just came back from Moab with "THE GROUP." All I can say is that the H2's off road abilities are great. I think the H3 could have done the trails we were on, but may have had some issues with climbing up onto (not over) some of the ledges.

I have made a choice to get an H3 and to sell my SUT. I do not tow anything or have a family other than my sig. other and two dogs. So I don't really need a fullsize rig. I do not think the off road capabilities are better on one over the other in the real world on or off road. It's driver most of the time. I think the ground clearance issue can be helped by some larger tires and will also help out the AA and DA a little too. Next would be to lift the rig and that would increase the AA and DA angles a little and get the body up a little higher.

Comparing one truck to the other (as stated before on quite a few other threads) cannot be done with apples to apples. If you must have the Ultimate off road vehicle go build a buggy.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:18 PM

jkH1+H2=H3 is off the scale

Personally, I would go with the H1- Its the mother load.
you can get great prices on H1's with low mileage, cheeper or if not equal in price to the H3 and H2.
Dude?? Leasing, ?? not sure of the miles you do? but leasing is a bad choice period for me, I will lose out in the end.
Anyway, I went 4x4in with the big boys and had no problem keeping up or falling behind the H2's. The h2 guys commented on how impressed they thought the H3 was driving, Thanks to me, as they look on from driving behind the H3.
This is a great Question, And lets put money and payments, leases aside. What would you DO?
Old 10-19-2005, 01:49 AM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jkH1+H2=H3:
This is a great Question, And lets put money and payments, leases aside. What would you DO? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After having to tow a heavy trailer back from FL, and toting around a giant puppy (which I wanted to stay in it's elephant sized crate and not destroy the car), I'm happy to have the H2.

However, not being able to follow my fanatic Jeepster friend into the woods after his Cherokee because I was just too wide, I felt like something a bit smaller would be handier in true off-road situations in NE. (I say New England because most trails here are cut through woods, and some are old or not well maintained. Or, if they are attended, it's by Wranglers or Cherokees, which fit through the brush just fine. I've got lots of nice front to back scratches from my exploits on such trails.)

So the H2 can do so much more than most any other off-road vehicle available stock. But when I can't follow a technically inferior Jeep into the woods because of just size, that's saying that maybe the H3, albeit any minor shortcomings in AA, DA, whatever, is perhaps the better and more ultimate off-roader.

I honestly do not know what I would choose if I had to walk into the dealership today. It would most likely come down to dollars.

[And just so no one shoots me down about the technically inferior bit: My friend basically floored his Jeep to get it through obstacles (Did he drive it right--I dunno!?). But without computer controlled systems, high-tech components, and other inventions of the 2000's, power was really all he had. I'm not insulting the Cherokee, I just think the H2, and all modern vehicles, have a significant technological advantage over their 1990's counterparts.]
Old 10-19-2005, 03:00 AM
Elcova Rookie

Ronnie_Ringo is off the scale

[quote]Originally posted by DWPC:

Maybe (just maybe) for playing where there's plenty of room. Very few even frequent 4x4ers would ever need the on-paper angle advantages of the H2 over the H3. I don't know where you wheel, but I was on a couple tight jeep trails in AZ last week that would have probably ruined an H2's day when you saw what your sides looked like afterward. You're six inches wider than a H3, but over a foot wider than the Jeeps that generally blazed the trails.

I'll take the H3's much better low range and much handier size over a couple degrees of departure angle any day. Not to mention the $20+ grand difference. In a pure technical contest, maybe you'll win, but if I want to take a real-world 10-mile switchback trail to a new trout stream; I'd rather take the H3.

Maybe I should have said more practical instead of more useable. Just my opinion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seriously, have you ever actually wheeled??? A couple of degrees of approach and departure angle?? People spend THOUSANDS on lifts, tires, bumpers, etc to get a couple of extra degrees of breakover, approach and departure angle. It's really hard to take you seriously when you make such idiotic statements and don't even know enough about H2's to know that they have four tow loops. Don't get me wrong, I never said the H3 wasn't capable, just that to simply dismiss the H2's capabilities (of which you obviously have limited knowledge) based solely on it's width, makes it incredibly difficult to give your arguement any credibility. I have wheeled with dozens of H1's, H2's and H3's with drivers of varying experience levels, so I can speak with some degree of authority that the H2's "techinical" advantages aren't just on paper. While a few situations may give the edge to the H3 based solely on it's width, the H2 will win out in other situations.

So much anger. What is the exact definition of "wheeled" anyway? I'm from the Midwest and I love taking the H3 to the Northwoods. Not too many mountains around here. It fits perfect on those logging trails. So much fun after a good T-storm. Arguing about the difference between an H2 and H3 is idiotic. Who F'in cares? It's cool that the H1 in my neighborhood honks every time we pass each other. That's what it's all about. Mutual respect. I'll be a happy man the day I own the H1 and H2.