H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 10-13-2003, 01:54 AM

jetson is off the scale

Before I continue, I have to say that I normally frequent DiscoWeb (because I don't own an H2), but the site is either too busy during peak times, or the servers are just too slow.

This H2 site is always fast and responsive!

Anyway,

I've been wheeling with a buddy who owns a 1969 LR Series (one of the older, more utilitarian vehicles designed to be off pavement). It occurred to me that my Disco, and maybe the H2 as well, are just not as capable simply because much of the "utility" has been left off and replaced with more on-pavement features. This is not to say of course that the vehicles are not capable, but I started to really want something more "old-school", and less modern - the 69 LR just does things, and it seems more natural off-road than my luxury ride. Of course, you can modify any vehicle, but that's not the point.

I was thinking about how I've always wanted an H1 - but got excited with the H2 and the affordability of a Hummer - but isn't the issue pretty much the same? I mean, when you go wheeling in your H2, with people who have the original Hummer, do you somehow feel inferior? If not just because you don't really have the "real thing", if you know what I mean.

Regardless, I'll stick with the Disco for now - because I can't afford anything new. I just found myself getting slightly jealous wheeling with the old-school LR.

Thoughts? (I'll check back in the morning - I'm obviously tired after babbling so much)

Kenny

Disco Pics
Old 10-13-2003, 01:54 AM

jetson is off the scale

Before I continue, I have to say that I normally frequent DiscoWeb (because I don't own an H2), but the site is either too busy during peak times, or the servers are just too slow.

This H2 site is always fast and responsive!

Anyway,

I've been wheeling with a buddy who owns a 1969 LR Series (one of the older, more utilitarian vehicles designed to be off pavement). It occurred to me that my Disco, and maybe the H2 as well, are just not as capable simply because much of the "utility" has been left off and replaced with more on-pavement features. This is not to say of course that the vehicles are not capable, but I started to really want something more "old-school", and less modern - the 69 LR just does things, and it seems more natural off-road than my luxury ride. Of course, you can modify any vehicle, but that's not the point.

I was thinking about how I've always wanted an H1 - but got excited with the H2 and the affordability of a Hummer - but isn't the issue pretty much the same? I mean, when you go wheeling in your H2, with people who have the original Hummer, do you somehow feel inferior? If not just because you don't really have the "real thing", if you know what I mean.

Regardless, I'll stick with the Disco for now - because I can't afford anything new. I just found myself getting slightly jealous wheeling with the old-school LR.

Thoughts? (I'll check back in the morning - I'm obviously tired after babbling so much)

Kenny

Disco Pics
Old 10-13-2003, 02:56 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

You got tired from babbling so much?
I've read this post a couple of times and can't decide if you're trying to stir things up or you're just punch drunk from being so "tired".
Maybe when you re-read your post after you've had some sleep you'll be able to clarify it for us.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:48 AM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

I think most everyone here will agree that it has as much to do with the driver's experience/skills as it does the vehicle he's driving (someone please correct my English!). I certainly don't feel inferior when I wheel with H1's, and I'm sure the H1 drivers don't feel they've wasted their money when wheeling with H2's. I think that's silly. Just get out there and have fun for God's sake. I'm sure some H1 owners are pleasantly surprised with the capabilities of the H2, I am blown away by what they can do. You have a nice vehicle, Im glad you are using it. Once I wheeled with a guy in a 4x4 Suzuki Sidekick -- I could go some places he couldn't, he could go some places I couldn't! It's all good.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:12 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

There are many '69 model vehicles I would love to have in place of their modern counterparts, but I think your vision of the definition for utility seems to be very narrow.

Utility in SUV means that the vehicle can serve many purposes, not just go off-road. The fact that one vehicle can carry more people than your typical car, go off-road when needed, tow loads similar to their half-ton truck counterparts, carry luggage inside the vehicle for the people it's carrying and do all of this in relative comfort is where utility comes into play in the acronym SUV.

It would seem that this post is baiting to try and begin the H1/H2 wars again.

By the way,
I was thinking about how I've always wanted a Range Rover - but got excited with the Discovery and the affordability of a Land Rover - but isn't the issue pretty much the same? I mean, when you go wheeling in your Discovery, with people who have the original Range Rover, do you somehow feel inferior? If not just because you don't really have the "real thing", if you know what I mean.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:56 PM

jetson is off the scale

Paragon - I'm definitely not baiting for flame wars, that's not style at all. Just general discussion.

I see your point concerning the definition of "utility". I guess when I was comparing the H2/H1, I was excited to see that the H2 offered more comfort, IMO, for family and such (driver and passenger not so far apart, etc.) But it has the off-road ability as well. Since I don't know all that much about hummers, maybe it's presumptuous of me to think that the H1 is more capable off-road.

But as I said earlier, I think my jealousy (very small amount indeed) was based purely on the off road aspects of the vehicles.

When you compare the older rovers with the newer, more luxury, comfortable discos and range rovers, they have very little if any in the way of comfort - they are all about off-road. The Defender seems to have a good mix of both - so that's probably where I would fit. I never thought about the range rover to be honest, they are so expensive. I'd much rather have the H2.

I do enjoy the off-road experience in general, this past weekend may have made me realize that I really need an off-road vehicle that I don't need to rely on for everyday transportation.

Respectfully,

Kenny

Disco Pics
Old 10-13-2003, 01:14 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

We all always want more or better or bigger. That's one of the things that makes the US great, we can want it and many times get it with hard work.

You brought up this personal point (of wanting more) with me by mentioning the Defender. About 10 years ago I owned a Jeep Wrangler Laredo and I always wanted a Defender 90 with the soft top. I loved the looks of the Defender and since it was a Land Rover I knew it had to be great off-road, but alas I couldn't find/afford one back then. Still like them though.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:23 PM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't believe this will start a war. It's just healthy discussion. I currently own an H2 and have been looking for H1's quite seriously although I do hesitate at times. The H1 and the H2 will both go anywhere a normal human being wants to go. If you want to do some ridiculous stuff you're better with the H1 (unless you consider cost) then you may as well just get something cheap and build it up. I test drove an H1 last week. It was very loud, not too uncomfortable but certainly not as comfortable as my H2 and not as slow as I had expected (still not H2 speed). They are both great vehicles but very different.

I've been out with H1's and never felt inferior. If H1's were mass produced they would be the same price as an h2 but the bottom line is they aren't very practical. The H2 gets it all done with class. GM did a great job.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:33 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, yes, Buckeye old chap,

I agree this young lad...jetson seems to be on the up and up.

Being the owner of both the RR and H2, they are both very capable. But the RR is just too prissy to take off road. But it makes me comfortable knowing my wife and kids are safe in the RR during their everyday errands.

My Video Collectionez

Old 10-13-2003, 02:20 PM

Fellow Off-Roader is off the scale

interesting topic and as an owner of an old 1967 LR and a "newer" 1993 Classic Range Rover, will give my experience with them.

the Range Rover will go anywhere the older LR will go only in much more comfort. could probably haul more stuff in the older LR, yet, only because the roof rack is longer as the body in more a box.

so, kinda like the H1 and H2. Both will go where most folks would take them, yet, the H2 probably does it in more comfort.

all have their place and idiosyncrasies.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:31 PM

jetson is off the scale

I think I was also hit with "short wheel base envy"! Man that little 69 Series just crawls around like a little bug, seemingly unaffected by gravity!

Amazing machine - If I had 5k I'd consider the red and white one on ebay - a fixer upper.

The other advantage that I saw was that you could probably winch the thing right up a tree if you had a good reason.

My disco hasn't really failed me as far as where I've taken it. After getting pulled out of a mud pit by a jeep wrangler this weekend (I was thrilled he stopped to help), we went to assist a blazer who got stuck nearby, and the guys that rode in my vehicle were oohing and aahing over the comfortable ride, and air conditioner! Of course, they left some nice mudstains on my leather seats! (they wipe right off if you get em quick enough).

Kenny

Disco Pics