H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-21-2006, 11:55 PM

rodster is off the scale

I removed the center console for an unrelated project and when I put it all back together, the DVD has power but the headrest monitors for the rear will not turn on.

The white plastic connectors (see below) are seated. The empty white/square connector in the pic goes to a small harness that runs along the inside of the driver's side of the console. All RCA connectors in the bunch on the right are seated. The two S-video cables were connected. The two RCA connectors on the left were not connected (and I don't think they're supposed to be).

One thing that concerns me: When I originally took the DVD/storage box out, the casing around the small plastic box nearest the DVD came off. I didn't bother to put it back on until it was time to button it all back up. The components in that box were open to the elements and potentially, contact with metal parts in the console base.

Is there a separate fuse for the monitors that if blown would still allow the DVD player to receive power? If so, where is it?

Could the components in the small black box have gotten fried?

Any suggestions? I'd be thankful to hear them!
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2006, 11:55 PM

rodster is off the scale

I removed the center console for an unrelated project and when I put it all back together, the DVD has power but the headrest monitors for the rear will not turn on.

The white plastic connectors (see below) are seated. The empty white/square connector in the pic goes to a small harness that runs along the inside of the driver's side of the console. All RCA connectors in the bunch on the right are seated. The two S-video cables were connected. The two RCA connectors on the left were not connected (and I don't think they're supposed to be).

One thing that concerns me: When I originally took the DVD/storage box out, the casing around the small plastic box nearest the DVD came off. I didn't bother to put it back on until it was time to button it all back up. The components in that box were open to the elements and potentially, contact with metal parts in the console base.

Is there a separate fuse for the monitors that if blown would still allow the DVD player to receive power? If so, where is it?

Could the components in the small black box have gotten fried?

Any suggestions? I'd be thankful to hear them!
Old 01-22-2006, 01:16 AM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
Small black box looks like a filter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pic below is with the black box off the eletronic assembly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The power for the monitors usually goes down the inside of the rear of the seat cover and then under the carpet, either to the center console or to the sides and under the plastic trim.

The monitor power most probably has a little jacck connector somewhere that may have come disconnected, or you could have just blown a fuse.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So the power feed to the monitors isn't in the S-video cable? I assumed it was since I didn't see other wires going into the seat near the S-video cable. I'll take another look (wasn't looking for the possibility earlier) and if I do find a separate power wire then troubleshooting should be a breeze.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BTW Wrap some tape around each RCA connection to stop them coming apart and shorting on anything, same goes for the two unused RCA connectors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good idea and thanks.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2006, 02:41 AM

rodster is off the scale

I looked but can't seem to find a separate power wire for the monitors. I have to think the power is sent via the S-video cable. I found a Vizualogic wiring diagram [pdf link]. This isn't the exact system I have (Vizualogic doesn't list it on their site) but I think the general wiring is similar. A screen shot from the pdf:
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2006, 03:52 AM

rodster is off the scale

Looks like I'm fixed.

I'll meet you halfway here, Phil. My best hallucination is, the monitors do indeed get their power via the S-video cable. There is no other apparent power source to them.

Your suggestion that I'd blown a fuse didn't make sense at first because the DVD is working. Bad logic on my part.

The small harness that plugs into the available white/square connector above has three wires -- one each red, yellow, black. What if one powers the DVD, the other the monitors?

Chased the wire harness from back to front and found it terminates in the black plug in the top left of the below picture. Pulled that plug, checked continuity on all three -- one open. An in-line fuse is the culprit.

I'll put it all back together in the morning and with any luck, this problem is history. Thanks as always for your help, Phil.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

The red is switched, yellow is constant and black is of course ground. The dvd and monitors both get their power from that harness so, if a fuse blows, the dvd nor the monitors should work. I would be more suspicious of a loose or incorrect connection. When you put it all back together, make sure to put a little e tape on the monitor mini plug connections as those damn things are notorious for coming loose.
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 01-22-2006, 03:13 PM

rodster is off the scale

Phil -- Thanks.

Kodiakz -- I'm hoping it all works after replacing the fuse but based on what you say, that's not likely to happen. I checked and triple-checked all connections before posting my self-inflicted pain here. I'm headed outside shortly so will report back soon. Thanks much.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:53 PM

rodster is off the scale

Fixed!

The yellow line fuse was the culprit.

If we had a true schematic for the Vizualogic A/V box that would probably make sense. For now, though, fixed is good enough.

In the end, while all the wires and plugs are intimidating at first, there aren't many variables. Ground and constant and switched volts in, all connectors secure and A/V out. If voltages are good and connectors are solid, I imagine the only fix is a new A/V box or DVD player but I doubt the box is worth fixing. Pretty amazing what they can cram in a little space these days.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

EEEEEExxxcelent smithers!! Glad to hear you fixed it. Wonder why the fuse blew though?!
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 01-22-2006, 06:18 PM

rodster is off the scale

Not sure why the fuse blew but if I had to guess, I'd say it was when the one filter was not covered. It was laying solder-side down on the metal plate under the storage box.

Just got everything put back together and it's 4.0. Sweet! Thanks again, guys.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:21 PM

rodster is off the scale

By the way, what are the two unused female RCA connectors for? Or more accurately, what can the be used for? They're labeled slave.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:02 PM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:

The're for the wife (or mistress) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And yet one more reason why I'm glad my wife doesn't know elcova.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

Slave out for an fm mod or to another display of some sort.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:23 AM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kodiakz:
Slave out for an fm mod or to another display of some sort. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not too up on the A/V business so I don't know the options ...

What other kind of display would someone install? And what purpose would another FM mod serve? I like new toys!

One of the slave lines is audio and one video?