H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-29-2002, 02:24 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been suffering in our new H2, having to hit the trails alone. Would love to find others in the area who want to know what their H2 can actually do. I've seen it and done it and it is amazing!

aps101374@yahoo.com

Old 12-29-2002, 02:24 PM
Hummer Guru

We have been suffering in our new H2, having to hit the trails alone. Would love to find others in the area who want to know what their H2 can actually do. I've seen it and done it and it is amazing!

aps101374@yahoo.com

Old 12-30-2002, 06:24 PM

sdunham is off the scale

I'm a prospective H2 owner ( have plans to buy one this spring ) and currently am an active member of several 4wd clubs in Colorado Springs. I have a highly capable and built Bronco which I run year round on the various trails in Colorado's high country. From looking at your sig, I'm not sure where in CO you live, but there are trails all over this state that you can enjoy in your H2. I know quite a few trails just West of Colorado Springs, some more difficult than others, none of which should
give the H2 any serious trouble. I get out on the trails a couple of times a month and would be curious to see what the H2 is capable of offroad...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This space left intentionally blank...!
Old 12-31-2002, 01:56 AM
Hummer Guru

We're in the south part of Denver, and have never had trouble running the trails in any of the 4x4 trucks we've had. We have recently come acrtoss the problem of finding people who can go, want to go, and can keep up!

Let me know when you're planning to run again, and perhaps we can go together.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:58 PM

sdunham is off the scale

Highland Ranch isn't too far from where I live. I'm in Divide west of Colorado Springs. I have a few friends ( Steve Rickard ) who live near you and are in our Bronco club. I'm not sure what trails you've run but I know several in the Divide area that can be challenging in snow. Hackett, Longwater and Metberry are all still closed due to the Hayman Fires but Rainbow Falls, Eagle Rock, Saran Wrap, Chinaman's Gulch are all open. Eagle Rock is off Gold Camp rd. and it's alot of fun in snow. There's another trail, Bull Park accross from Eagle Rock that is interesting too, but not real difficult. Snow is what makes it challenging this time of year... Chinaman's Gulch is near Johnson's Village ( Buena Vista ) and it is a full time one obstacle after another trail that is a blast. It is a great trail
and would prove a pretty decent challenge for your H2. I'll drop you a note in the next few weeks and
we'll try to hook up.

Old 12-31-2002, 02:07 PM

sdunham is off the scale

Also, as far as finding "people who want to go, can go and can keep up", I have the same problem so I go alone alot. I currently have a full Size Bronco with
some mods and can keep up just fine with just about anything on the trails. I've got an EFI 460 conversion, long travel 4 point suspension, Dana 60 HD front and FORD 10.25" rear with ARB's, 38.5" TSX's, winch, York on-board-air, roll cage, etc...

Old 12-31-2002, 03:11 PM
Hummer Guru

I have already done some great stuff near Buena Vista and Johnson but it's a pretty good drive to get there from here. I keep going alone, even though you shouldn't. Have you used 4x4trails.net a lot?
Old 12-31-2002, 05:51 PM

sdunham is off the scale

I've used 4x4trails.net some and found some of the trail writeups accurate, and some outdated. From being in several clubs, I've been able to do some of the most difficult trails in Colorado and live to talk about it. I've also used several of the 4x4 trails guides and the Colorado Gazeteer to find National Forest Roads for access to fishing, camping and hunting spots. Just out of curiousity, do you find you hit the rear differential alot when your'e wheeling in the H2...? I have a 1 ton rear diff in my Bronco and with 36's, I seemed to hit everything in the trail with it until I jumped up to 38.5"s.

Old 12-31-2002, 06:34 PM
Hummer Guru

It has had a few problems, but we haven't had much of a chance to do any trails over 5 or 6 so not often. I understand the H2 will run to normal specs with 37's and no lift (won't fit in my garage, tho). Apparently there is no bottoming or rubbing either.

4x4trails.net has let me down a few times, as has the Gazeteer. I've been trying to help Scott at 4x4trails out when I can with better descriptions, directions, photos, etc. He's a nice guy but has been busy with a new baby recently.

We should try to hit some trails together soon. Would love to find some decent wheeling during the so called winter. Let me know what plans you've got soon.
Old 01-01-2003, 02:13 AM

JJ is off the scale

Adam in Co & Sdunham
I'm in Albuquerque, New Mexico just south of you guys and am interested in starting off easy and progressing as confidence builds. Do either of you have some suggestions for trails in the southern part of Colo., nearer to New Mexico, that would be appropriate for a novice (off-road experience during hunting season but as a bowhunter most of my off-road has been dry dirt) during this time of the year? I'd like to hook up with you guys at some time as well, but I wouldn't want to hold anyone back until I get some more experience, especially in snow.

JJ
Old 01-01-2003, 11:38 PM
Hummer Guru

My best suggestion is to get yourself a NM Gazeteer and check out some trail websites! 4x4trails.net is good in CO, don't know about NM. If you're really uneasy behind the wheel of your H2, I would stay under 5-6 rated trails, which most stock full size SUV's should be able to do, carefully. The H2 however, will easily do 7's or better.

As far as good trails in southern CO, SDUNHAM is in C. Springs and would probably know better than I. I'm pretty familiar with San Isabel area near the Collegiates, as is he, as well as Boulder and Denver areas.

Let us know when you're coming north, and we'll plan something!

[This message was edited by Adam in CO on January 01, 2003 at 06:04 PM.]