H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-26-2002, 12:01 AM

Location: In the Deep South, Along the Shore of the Flint River
HummerGirl is off the scale

Okay...for those of you who have read the report on the H2 and other cars/trucks/SUVs. What did it say? My dad brought the bad news and said it was a "don't buy" and he also said that they only gave great reviews to those auto makers such as Toyota and was hard on Nissan as well. He drives the Frontier and his feelings were hurt as well.

I am sure their opinions were swayed with all that is going on in the SUVs (Satan's Utility Vehicle) Rampage across the country. Who actually funds these folks anyway?

Well, I will not be using CR any more when shopping for any more items.

~amy
HummerGirl's Home Page
Old 12-26-2002, 12:01 AM

Okay...for those of you who have read the report on the H2 and other cars/trucks/SUVs. What did it say? My dad brought the bad news and said it was a "don't buy" and he also said that they only gave great reviews to those auto makers such as Toyota and was hard on Nissan as well. He drives the Frontier and his feelings were hurt as well.

I am sure their opinions were swayed with all that is going on in the SUVs (Satan's Utility Vehicle) Rampage across the country. Who actually funds these folks anyway?

Well, I will not be using CR any more when shopping for any more items.

~amy
HummerGirl's Home Page
Old 12-26-2002, 02:30 AM

SOCAL XMER is off the scale

I think these publications are so biased and full of crap when it comes to SUV's of any kind.
I have heard great things about the HUMMER H2 from owners, and alot of bad things about Jeep from owners where the quality is getting worse.
Don't get me wrong, I love Jeep, but the HUMMER looks like it's worth every penny for durability and value, One thing that is nice is out of the box it dosen't need mods to be a great off road machine where you here jeepers and others that after vehicle cost and mods have spent close to $50k anay way. I think dollar for dollad the HUMMER H2 is a great machine and you will see alot of them in the comming years.
I have yet to hear of any recalls or major problems with the H2. I think GM really hit a home run with this one!

future H2 owner
Old 12-26-2002, 02:50 PM

SJ is off the scale

Hummergirl:

I realized long ago that I value advice from Consumer Reports and Car and Driver about as much as I listen to the average blow-hard movie critic. Consumer Reports has been anti-American (when it comes to cars/trucks) for as long as I can remember and they love pushing the most boring forms of transportation known to mankind (e.g. Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, etc.).

The H2 sucks gas and weighs over twice as much as many cars, so I don't expect glory from the lab rats who wouldn't know 4-wheel drive for squat.

Four Wheeler praised the H2 and that mag knows what makes for a good all-terrain vehicle.

If we all followed Consumer Reports' advice, we'd dress like Mr. & Mrs. Rogers and drive Honda Minivans.
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 12-26-2002, 03:44 PM

Cracking up at your post!!!

Too funny!!! And the sad thing is you are right!

I bet the majority of the readers of Consumer Reports are a bunch of nerds anyway that wouldn't know what to do with a four wheeler anyway!!

~amy
HummerGirl's Home Page
Old 12-26-2002, 11:24 PM

JJ is off the scale

you are right on the mark about both movie critics and CR. I recall the accolades and accolades from the movie critics for "Chariot's of Fire", which nearly put me to sleep in the theater. As for CR, I have always believed that they favored imports especially Toyota and Honda. I joined this forum to get the real low down on the vehicle I was interested in purchasing, the H2 and I believe this is a far superior way to assessing value prior to purchasing than reading a review. Reviews can point out things you should be aware of but they can't replace communicating with a broader base of product owners.

JJ
Old 12-27-2002, 06:12 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

I'd like to comment on this issue. I think we're taking it all wrong. What America has come to call an SUV is not really what the H2 is all about. I happen to agree: the H2 is NOT a great SUV...but let me explain (cause ya know I love the H2).

The average SUV owner is basically looking for a mid/large-sized van that somehow eludes itself from looking like a nerdy station-wagon. They want something that can carry 7-8 passengers, has lots of storage, easy to get in & out and is not too costly to buy. Does that sound like an H2?

Our H2's are not easy to get into...that's because we have clearance to get over huge ruts and obstacles. Our H2's have rear-lockers, 4Lo, a gnarly traction control system and huge tires. We drive an offroad beast of a machine; a monster! This is NOT what most people need.

Because we have steep approach & departure angles, and we don't have an overly long wheelbase we are EXTREMELY offroad capable....but not having a butt that sticks way out behind the rear axle, or a long wheelbase takes a toll on our interior room.

We drive a machine that is specialized and made to suit a particular purpose. It has extensive capabilities that spans well beyond what America wants from an all-around SUV. Hence the slogan: Define SUV?

I got news for ya...the H2 is not going to win any sports car awards either. You want a great SUV....buy an Envoy, Trailblazer or that goofey new Volvo...but if you want a vehicle that is a one-off para-military assault machine capable of conquering all sorts of terrain....the H2 is your pick; YOUR BEST PICK. And be prepared for jealous, envious and ignorant people to resent you for it.

Of course we didn't win 4x4 of the year. That's like my award winning chili taking "desert recipe of the year"...simply the wrong category.

I rest my case.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:31 PM

I concur, Dr. Steve.

that is exactly what I tell folks when they are curious about the H2. I tell them it's not a family car, but an off road workhorse. But it's great for a long road trip and has all the imenities (sp?) that you need that family van has except for the leg room that you find in some mini vans.

Once they see how high you have to lift the little one in the back they quickly find that it's not a family vehicle. Thus the reason we are going to pick up a sedan in the very near future for our daily driver and to keep the miles down on the beast.

~amy
HummerGirl's Home Page
Old 12-27-2002, 01:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

OLE YLLR is an unknown quantity at this point

I'D LIKE TO KNOW WHAT CONSUMER REPORT SAY'S ABOUT THE H2 IN THE EASTERN U.S. TODAY AFTER SEEING THE SNOW AND THE ROAD CONDITIONS BACK THERE I BET THEY WOULD'NT MIND HAVING ONE ABOUT NOW. OLE YLLR [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2002, 02:02 PM

mpetrich is off the scale

I have to concur with you there. That's one of the main reasons I bought the H2. I live in Chicago, and while are last few winters have been "mild" (everything is relative), it snowed about 4 to 7 inches on Christmas Eve/Christmas here. I leave my sisters at about midnight, with all the snow on the ground, and have to drive about 25 miles to get home. Let me tell you, I don't think I have ever had so much fun driving 25 miles! In open areas, I wanted to test the H2's snow capabilities (trying to get the tires to spin or slip, trying to get the anti-lock system on the brakes to kick in) and it was very difficult to get either of those two things to happen. I guess to sum it up, it was a lot of fun doing 30 mph (very safely and feeling very safe) while I saw X5's, Envoy's and Explorer's slipping and sliding at about 10 to 15 mph. That's why I have the H2!!
Matt
Old 12-27-2002, 04:14 PM

You know what I think?

I think they know it's the real deal (SUV) on the market and no one can compare or come close to defining what a true sport utility reall is now that the H2 has come along. I think they cannot find a damn legitimate thing wrong with it so they just nit pick to soothe the other auto makers.

This is how I cope with repsonses like CR and the other mags that don't know how to truly critique it.

~amy
HummerGirl's Home Page
Old 12-28-2002, 03:52 AM

JJ is off the scale

I thought for sure someone was going to challenge me on my remark about "Chariots of Fire"......May be a day for another post.

JJ
Old 12-28-2002, 03:52 AM

Rdually is off the scale

Hummer Girl took a look at your web site. You look like Patricia Heaton ("Everyone Loves Raymond show") and that's not a bad thing.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:12 AM

oh JJ I know what you mean. Except I was about 12 when I saw it. Can you imagine, being 12 years old and drug to see THAT movie.

Yesh...at least the sound track was nice but our neighbor in the dormitory (I grew up at a private boarding school) was British and he liked to "sauce" it up at night. One night he was totally blitzed and his record was skipping to that damned theme song, after an hour of hearing it over and over and over I just went in by myself and cut it off.

Good thing I actually like soundtracks and some classical music, because it would have become the next frisbie for the folks in the dorm.

And by the way, remind me one day to tell you about some students who put Nair on one of the professor's cats. Now that was funny.

~amy
HummerGirl's Home Page