H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-26-2006, 02:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

ShortBus is off the scale
Question SERVICE 4WD

?SERVICE 4WD?, have you scene that message before? While setting up to hit the trail, I put my beast into neutral and pushed the "4 low" button, I heard the clunk, then a sharp clank. That?s when I saw it: ?SERVICE 4WD?! I had just talked up my H2 to a couple of F150 4X4 newbie?s, and now couldn?t get it to crawl. After shutting down the engine and restarting, I was able to get it into high range (50/50 split), but the rear locker was also out of commission. Needless to say, we (Jeeper buddy and I) were able to ditch the Ford wheelers without getting hung up, but it was a short trip to the bottoms for me. The truck is a 05? SUT with about 23,000 miles. It is in the shop today, I will post the diagnosis and price, if any, once it?s fixed. planohummer fielded an answer on the HC site, anyone else want to beat the pros to the answer?? Fever?
Old 06-26-2006, 02:52 PM
Hummer Veteran

Screeper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SERVICE 4WD

As for the locker, it only works when the truck is in 4 lo. If this is the first time you put it in 4 lo it may just be a bad actuator or in need or adjustment. Mine has had the same message before when I had twisted it up and had too much static torque load for it to come out of 4 lo. Back the truck up a bit and it came out fine. Its the same with the old manual levers if you had those in the past when they got stuck. Its just now you have an electric motor moving the lever and not your arm and when it cant move it gives you that message. Maybe when you came out of 4hi to go to 4lo you still had some axle wrap binding the transfer case not allowing the shift. Hopefully all will be well, and more importantly under warranty.
2004 Lux with 6 inch Fabtech with tie rods, 38 inch MT's, 4:88 gears, and some minor engine tweaks.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screeper
As for the locker, it only works when the truck is in 4 lo. If this is the first time you put it in 4 lo it may just be a bad actuator or in need or adjustment. Mine has had the same message before when I had twisted it up and had too much static torque load for it to come out of 4 lo. Back the truck up a bit and it came out fine. Its the same with the old manual levers if you had those in the past when they got stuck. Its just now you have an electric motor moving the lever and not your arm and when it cant move it gives you that message. Maybe when you came out of 4hi to go to 4lo you still had some axle wrap binding the transfer case not allowing the shift. Hopefully all will be well, and more importantly under warranty.
I have had it in 4 low a few times, but one thing that a neglected to mention was that I heard the big clank when I shifted into a drive gear. I cannot be sure that the truck had engaged completely into 4 low prior to me sticking it into the drive gear. I did roll it forward and back to ensure the DT was not bound, after the unsuccessful lock. I am hoping that it will be a simple fix. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

Lightbulb Re: SERVICE 4WD

Just got a call from the dealership; Turns out, somehow the wiring harness that powers the drivetrain got torn apart somewhere up on the frame inside the front fender, in an area not consistent with tire rub (37" BF Mud Terrains). He said that it must have been caught somewhere on the length of the loom and the area of breakage was the weak link. He says that he took pictures. I will post them if I can get him to send them to me.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

Screeper is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that is the first I have heard of that type of break. Pictures wold be cool. Might help the rest of us protect the area that snagged in the first place. Thats what makes this such a great forum.
2004 Lux with 6 inch Fabtech with tie rods, 38 inch MT's, 4:88 gears, and some minor engine tweaks.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

I will be sure and take some myself, if he can't send'em. Pretty wild stuff-this happened before off roading, so that means that it happened the last time I went (two weeks earlier) or I picked something up on the road. Also, there was no indication of a problem prior to trying to engage the 4 low. I can't wait to see it. I will be picking it up this afternoon.

Last edited by ShortBus : 06-26-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

It was the tires. Front Driver tire managed to get into the large loom that is attached to the frame. I can see the rub of the tire on the frame. It opened up the loom but only ripped three wires. I will photo it when I get home. The dealer promissed to send the pics tomorrow. Basically $103.00 to reattach a few wires and tape up the loom. I am not sure if the loom can be relocated because of the exhaust manifold (don't want to get it any closer to that). Wild stuff. I cranked the wheel as close to it as I could, but I had about 5" of clearance, still. I am guessing that the gap is gone when we articulate a bit. I have a big rub on the frame to prove it???
Old 06-30-2006, 01:47 AM
Hummer Veteran

Talking Re: SERVICE 4WD

Well here is $103 worth of repairs. Some black tape. I have not received the before pictures yet, but you can see the rub mark on the frame.
Attached Images