H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 08-08-2003, 09:24 PM

hinten is off the scale

Am I the only one that successfully managed to pull out the full plastic piece around the shifter?
It seems it's held down by four clips and I cannot get them back in. So, now everytime I pull out a drink it pulls up the whole plastic unit.
Cheap POS. Hopefully my dealer will replace it under warranty.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:24 PM

hinten is off the scale

Am I the only one that successfully managed to pull out the full plastic piece around the shifter?
It seems it's held down by four clips and I cannot get them back in. So, now everytime I pull out a drink it pulls up the whole plastic unit.
Cheap POS. Hopefully my dealer will replace it under warranty.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:22 AM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

You are definitely not the only one. Three weeks ago my cup holder felt loose. I am a perfectionist so little things drive me nuts. I left work and took it to the dealer in Pasadena. The service guy gave it a little tug and the entire piece came out. He proceeded to request that I come back the following day to get it fixed. I demanded that since he broke it in their lot that he fix it in their lot before I would leave. They did get it fixed but not before this guy said the plastic piece was indeed a POS.

So anyway, I was/am looking for a replacement (after-market). There has to be something better than this!
Old 08-09-2003, 08:05 AM
Hummer Professional

DURAMAX TIM is off the scale

Friday nite my boy stuck an extra large water bottle in the holder and when I pulled it out the back of the plastic piece came up some.
Now it is loose too.
Ex H2&3 owner
My hiking boots and canoe paddle have more miles than most 'offroad' vehicles, over 350 in last year.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:25 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

hinten, my cup holders are tight as virgin, and seem very high quality, but that is a problem: hard to get out! It is an operation that requires a co-pilot. Few weeks ago on highway 5 at 1AM, as my wife slept I was trying to take out the cup by slowly wiggle it out which ended up splashing the droplets all over the cockpit. Great quality but not great design nor location, but I don't see any solution or better design alternatives.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2ummer is an unknown quantity at this point

I put some velcro under mine. It holds pretty good.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:20 AM

hinten is off the scale

Hey MAC,
just to be clear, I am not talking about the rubber insert. I am talking about the whole unit that also has the gear letters and numbers on it. Seems that once it is removed it is impossible to set it back in solid.
Velcro is not an option.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:12 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Thanks, hinten, I know you are talking about the whole thing, mine is tight & working great, for now. I was talking about the rubber, too tight for me, or maybe my cup is too big.

Cup holder is a big deal for Americans, took the Germans decades to realized it, most cup holders in European autos suck big time. The best cup holders are the ones in mini vans, such as Grand Voyager I had as a rental.

Hummer cup holders are not bad, everything on my Hummer is holding up very well and in perfect quality. I know some H2 owners said H2 is cheap POS or plastic dash looks cheap etc.. I won't argue about it with anyone, but I personally love H2 dash, shifter, stereo, console, everything interior and exterior, to me it has 100% feel and look of superior quality.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2003, 10:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

H2ummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Well velcro was an option for me. I not talking about the rubber cup holders either. I put small pieces where the clips are. It rasied up the plate less than an 1/8". Not even noticeable. I did not use an industrial grade which is much thicker.

03 H2 Pewter W/Lux, Delphia XM Radio
Old 08-10-2003, 11:52 AM
Hummer Veteran

H2 007 is off the scale

Do the clips get bent out of shape once removed so that they will not go back in again tight?

2003 White Hummer H2
Old 08-10-2003, 03:09 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Quality products should withstand usage by all users, but there are customers who can break anything. I am not talking about H2 cup holder and how others handle H2 because I don't know how they take care things.

I have seen 1 or 2 years new Mercedes-Benz and Porsches with torn seats, broken dash, missing knobs and switches, and things that just simply shouldn't break. I can hear my sales manager typing with doors closed many offices down the hall, sounded like he hates that computer and trying his best to smash that keyboard every time he types.

We have a NY buyer I talk/shout/email with daily for 8 years, he buys for 1,000 stores, he can break new samples within a few hours which we have sold millions without one reported broken. He calls most stuffs cheap POS yet he buys millions. That is just the way he looks at/handles things and how he does business, attack and confrontation mode 24/7, very common NYC manner. The only way to earn business and respect with this type of people is equally strong offense, appreciation, politeness or apology is a sign of weakness and guilt to them.

Some people have heavy hands and some people have different ways to look at things and people.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:45 PM
Hummer Expert

The answer is very simple. The design was poorly done. They used clips when the could have easily used screws just like the ones in the dash. They would have looked just fine and been completely functional.

How can there be after market center consoles but not cup holders?
Old 08-11-2003, 04:06 PM

hinten is off the scale

I cannot see the clips because one last one is hanging on and I don't want to remove for fear of not getting it back in at all.
Screws would have been a much better solution.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mac if you can't take the heat stay out of hell's kitchen.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:52 PM
Hummer Expert

Hinten,

Just pull it out, go to the dealer and get all new clips. When the piece pulls out the clips tend to fall down into the console never to be seen again. This is probably the rattle everyone complains about I do suggest doing this on your own. The dealer will rush and probably lose at least one clip in the process of putting it back on. Good luck!