H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-09-2007, 05:30 AM
Hummer Authority

tomp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Installed PML diff cover with Redline oil & smoother?

Added the PML cover from Trail Duty and filled diff with Redline fluid and what a difference the fluid change made! I didn't expect anything from a fluid change since our diffs already have syn in it from factory. However, just changing the rear diff fluid made the thing drive noticably smoother. H2 only had about 25k on it when I did the change.

I would like to run redline in the engine as well, but it is $8 per quart. I change engine oil/filter about every 7k and have been using Mobil1 since it is cheaper at about 26 bucks for 6 qts.

Gonna do the front diff next, as I don't trust the OEM fluid very far here in Texas heat.

Will end up with Redline 75w90 in diffs, Mobil1 5w30 in engine, Mobil1 ATF in TC, and GM Dextron VI in tranny since no companies make it in Syn oil yet.

Did the PML tranny cover from TD couple of weeks ago and tranny is running about 20F cooler.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:49 AM
Hummer Expert

MONSTERMATT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Installed PML diff cover with Redline oil & smoother?

Wonder how royal purple compares to redline?
Old 01-10-2007, 06:24 AM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

I am running the mobile 1 in the diffs and it seems to be smoother. I was going to do the purple, but could not find it instock anywhere local.

"OBAMA......Making Jimmy Carter LOOK GOOD!"
Old 01-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

I think Royal Purple makes a tranny fluid. I converted all to Purple I think encludng engine. I may be wrong as Dragon keeps up with the cases on shelf for personal use.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 01-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Hummer Authority

RP may make Syn tranny, but my 06 requires Dextron VI fluid and no syn company makes syn to meet the requirements of it yet.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Hummer Expert

sooo, it was ok to run the royal purple in my tranny since my sut is an 05? the tranny runs much cooler since the change
Old 01-12-2007, 04:47 AM
Hummer Authority

Does your manual and/or dipstick indicate Dextron 3 or 6?
Old 01-12-2007, 05:21 AM
Hummer Expert

says use dexron III
Old 01-12-2007, 08:07 AM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp
Added the PML cover from Trail Duty and filled diff with Redline fluid and what a difference the fluid change made! I didn't expect anything from a fluid change since our diffs already have syn in it from factory. However, just changing the rear diff fluid made the thing drive noticably smoother. H2 only had about 25k on it when I did the change.

I would like to run redline in the engine as well, but it is $8 per quart. I change engine oil/filter about every 7k and have been using Mobil1 since it is cheaper at about 26 bucks for 6 qts.

Gonna do the front diff next, as I don't trust the OEM fluid very far here in Texas heat.

Will end up with Redline 75w90 in diffs, Mobil1 5w30 in engine, Mobil1 ATF in TC, and GM Dextron VI in tranny since no companies make it in Syn oil yet.

Did the PML tranny cover from TD couple of weeks ago and tranny is running about 20F cooler.

Hmmm yes, that's very interesting. Make sure you check your seals.

Redline has been known to affect oem seals. Use oils that are compatible with the oem seal composition, the safest route is to use only petroleum or "synthetic petroleum" (poly alpha-olefin) oils. Neither Amsoil nor Redline are such.
Mobil, Valvoline, and Castrol synthetics are.

If this does happen, there is a good chance that going back to regular oil will help your
seals. If a month with petroleum fluid doesn't fix them, a dose of
automatic transmission seal conditioner is likely to do it.

My Video Collectionez

Old 01-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Hummer Authority

Check with Royal Purple on tranny uses. It seems when i talked to Royal that there tranny fluid would work for all GM. The dealer confirmed and even encouraged me to go to royal. He said it would work on all H2 year models thought. That something about Royal being generic to all GM trannies. Anyway just recommending to check it out. My dealer had me put Royal in everything they made a product for and they changed all the fluids along with rear diff. replacement i got from Phil.

My dealer is a very performance oriented one and Royal was changed to at thier encouragement. They do not handle it but, have seen the difference I was told by service manager by looking at magnet in plug holdng metal shavings.

Anyway check it out if You have not already and make sure Royal Purple will not work for You. As far as I know I'm not aware of any difference in tranny in my 2005 than what is in a 2006. In fact my tranny will be receiving serious performance upgrades to toughen it up for more HP and Torque. I have been told to especially have Royal in tranny an everywhere else the H2 will use it. It is a generic blend to fit all makes of vehcles. It seperates between Ford and GM is about all, I think.

Well anyway if I'm wrong I hope they get the Purple out soon that You can use in the 2006 H2.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 01-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisAJC
Redline has been known to affect oem seals. Use oils that are compatible with the oem seal composition, the safest route is to use only petroleum or "synthetic petroleum" (poly alpha-olefin) oils. Neither Amsoil nor Redline are such.
Mobil, Valvoline, and Castrol synthetics are.
I didn't know this.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:12 AM
Hummer Authority

Dex 6 is a lower viscosity than Dex 3, so if your tranny requires it - I wouldn't use anything else in it. Redline suggested for me to stay with GM Dex 6 as it is not compatible with my tranny, rather than sell me their oil. They even said the GM Dex 6 is a very high grade fluid etc.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Hummer Authority

I would agree wth usng the 6 over 3 if manual calls for it and you are running stock equipment. None of the factory oils are going to take extreme use situations like allot of desert running off-road and in my case extremely high HP and torque. I spoke with engineer that said with my application that regular OEM rated oils would fry in my tranny and other equipment.

If it is town use with occasional off-road or mudding as long as You are getting plenty of cooling should work for most all Hummer users. But, as mentioned by a few other guys the performance grade oils will help with smoother operating, lower temps, and a little HP increase as proven in a test on HP TV show on Spike. Switching to Royal Purple after a dyno run with a camaro with new factory fluids and filters the car was changed again just like before factory fluid runs and when replaced with all Royal Purple the car was dynoed again and it gained 8HP and more torque. They were just showing the gains that even just a regular street car could get and even recommened extended fluid changes as suggested by Royal Purple. In a lightly used street ride I would most likely go with extended recomendations to make cost equal out. In heavy use rides I would change more frequently.

TAZ
Old 01-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Hummer Expert

soo, even thou amsoil atf states on the bottle that it can be used in GM DEX III application , you guys are saying it can ruin the seals if i use it in the transfer case?
Old 01-18-2007, 12:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

o2man98 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
RP may make Syn tranny, but my 06 requires Dextron VI fluid and no syn company makes syn to meet the requirements of it yet.

Dex VI comes in all 2006+ vehicles with Hydramatic transmissions. GM also recommends using the VI in all vehicles that call for Dex III.

AMSOIL has their full synthetic ATF that meets Dex VI requirements. http://www.modernoils.com/ATF_Amsoil...hetic_ATF.html
Old 01-18-2007, 01:12 AM
Hummer Authority

I have always thought amsoil was nothing more than a bunch of marketing, and this proves it at least to msyelf. There is no way a single ATF fluid can meet both Dex III & VI as they are different viscosities! Saying that their ATF is compatible with both is like saying a motor oil is compatible with both 5w30 & 20w50!
Old 01-18-2007, 05:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

o2man98 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have always thought amsoil was nothing more than a bunch of marketing, and this proves it at least to msyelf. There is no way a single ATF fluid can meet both Dex III & VI as they are different viscosities! Saying that their ATF is compatible with both is like saying a motor oil is compatible with both 5w30 & 20w50!

What you are missing is that since GM recommends Dex VI in Dex III applications and since this fluid meets Dex VI requirements AMSOIL recommends this in both applications. You did ask for a full synthetic Dex VI didn't you?

Have you taken a look lately at the amount of "multi-vehicle" ATF's on the shelves??? All brands are doing this, not just AMSOIL.