H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-30-2002, 12:21 AM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

In the hopes that confession truly brings redemption I start this thread. (Hopefully someone can benefit from what others should not have done)

We just returned from a week up in Vermont at my family's ski house for X-mas. We of course came in our new H2 and after getting two feet of pow-pow on Christmas decided that conditions were ideal to see what this rig could do.
As we had hoped the H2 was great I climbed a fresh cut trail up to a construction site that rose about sixty feet in two hundred fourty feet (never would have gotten close to the top in my Grand Cherokee) Then we took about a two mile unmarked, unplowed trail along a small creek that a local told us about. We got through this trail with no problems and only using 4Hi locked PLUS TC2 at the end to climb a short steep incline back to the local dirt road. I guess I was still relishing the trail we had easily conquered when I realized that I was about to cruise past the turn back to our house. This is where full brain freeze kicked in. Traveling at about 30mph on a plowed but still slippery dirt road I attempted a hard right turn. Well the H2 didn't really care for my last minute decision and decided it wanted to go off roading again. The only trouble was that off road meant into a 5' snow bank that hid a three foot deep culvert on the side of the road. This ocurred about 40 yards away from a family that was walking down the road to their house. They ran to their nearby home, justifiably convinced that there was a nut job on the loose with a big truck. Well I attempted to use every feature on this thing but could not not get out. Fortunately a local with a 3/4 ton dualie came by. He was the local plow guy and asked if I needed help. Since I could not get out, due to the snow being as high as the drivers side window, my wife went out and asked for help.(I would regret this later) Well he pulled us out with a tow strap that he had, but not until after 12 cars had driven by all enjoying a very big laugh (especially the natives). He was very nice about it as this was his "first Hummer rescue" and could clearly see the embarassment on my face. Now my wife helpfully points out every snow bank as we drive. I PROMISE TO PAY MORE ATTENTION WHILE DRIVING. I PROMISE TO PAY MORE ATTENTION WHILE DRIVING . . .

Peter-
Old 12-30-2002, 12:21 AM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

In the hopes that confession truly brings redemption I start this thread. (Hopefully someone can benefit from what others should not have done)

We just returned from a week up in Vermont at my family's ski house for X-mas. We of course came in our new H2 and after getting two feet of pow-pow on Christmas decided that conditions were ideal to see what this rig could do.
As we had hoped the H2 was great I climbed a fresh cut trail up to a construction site that rose about sixty feet in two hundred fourty feet (never would have gotten close to the top in my Grand Cherokee) Then we took about a two mile unmarked, unplowed trail along a small creek that a local told us about. We got through this trail with no problems and only using 4Hi locked PLUS TC2 at the end to climb a short steep incline back to the local dirt road. I guess I was still relishing the trail we had easily conquered when I realized that I was about to cruise past the turn back to our house. This is where full brain freeze kicked in. Traveling at about 30mph on a plowed but still slippery dirt road I attempted a hard right turn. Well the H2 didn't really care for my last minute decision and decided it wanted to go off roading again. The only trouble was that off road meant into a 5' snow bank that hid a three foot deep culvert on the side of the road. This ocurred about 40 yards away from a family that was walking down the road to their house. They ran to their nearby home, justifiably convinced that there was a nut job on the loose with a big truck. Well I attempted to use every feature on this thing but could not not get out. Fortunately a local with a 3/4 ton dualie came by. He was the local plow guy and asked if I needed help. Since I could not get out, due to the snow being as high as the drivers side window, my wife went out and asked for help.(I would regret this later) Well he pulled us out with a tow strap that he had, but not until after 12 cars had driven by all enjoying a very big laugh (especially the natives). He was very nice about it as this was his "first Hummer rescue" and could clearly see the embarassment on my face. Now my wife helpfully points out every snow bank as we drive. I PROMISE TO PAY MORE ATTENTION WHILE DRIVING. I PROMISE TO PAY MORE ATTENTION WHILE DRIVING . . .

Peter-
Old 12-30-2002, 12:27 AM

bklynh2srock is off the scale

I am still laughing. "Snow bank dead ahead!" "Snow bank, four o'clock!" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Although Peter wishes he had these at the time: [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
but she knows what she knows.
Give that girl wings and that\'s all she wrote.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:32 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

You're from the east coast, so it's understandable. JUST KIDDING. Try sliding your H2 around in a muddy field. When you get sideways at even slow speeds the 6300lbs shows you just how much inertia it packs.

"I smell varmint poontang."
Old 12-30-2002, 12:33 AM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

I give you credit for putting the H2 to the test and getting yourself into conditions that even the H2 would get stuck. At least when you slipped on the turn you didn't hit something hard to do damage (or worse yet into that family!). I most likely would have tried to make that turn myself. Driving in the snow is so much fun.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:39 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Don't feel too bad, I checked into the Hummer Hall of Shame's AS*HOL* suite. I had 2 rear-end accidents in 1 weeks on my driveway, without even looking back, I backed into 2 vehicles on my driveway, did minimum $5000 of damages. The only blessing was there were nobody to laugh at me except my wife.

When you get all clean up, give me a call, just tell operator you want to speak to The Idiot. We can have a drink and cry the whole night through.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:01 AM

kelleymac2000 is off the scale

all those things they say about us SUV drivers is true!!! (JUST KIDDING!)

Glad to hear that your accidents didn't cause more damage. Mac, remind me not to park in your driveway when I visit. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Kelley
Old 12-30-2002, 03:17 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

At our Christmas party, everyone parked on the driveway but as far as possible from the garage, somehow everyone heard about the Hummer accidents. To make my guests feel better, I backed in and parked the Hummer head out, and my wife hide the Hummer keys from me during the party.
For the record, I had no accident for, I can't even remember the last accident, must be 20 years ago? Not my fault, Hummer's fault.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:27 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Also for the record, I do not drink hard liquor and I do not take drug, legal or not legal.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:47 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAC:
Also for the record, I do not drink hard liquor and I do not take drug, legal or not legal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would explain a lot [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2002, 06:16 PM

sdunham is off the scale

Ah'yes. The classic snow stuck. No real shame, at least you have the cajones to drive your H2 offroad so that you can learn it's limits. You get extra points though for being in plain site of pedestrians.
The only shame is if you didn't learn something from
your situation. I've been wheeling for 20+ years and
getting stuck is just part of the fun, sort of...
I might add that I always have a snow shovel attached to my spare tire carrier when I wheel in the snow...
Just a thought...
[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This space left intentionally blank...!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~