H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Hummer Veteran

JohnB.GWU. is off the scale

Leaving The Homestead (Resort in Virigina), the H2 trans started acting up. Next thing I know, I'm buried in the mountains and have a 300 degree trans temp and 260 degree engine coolant temp, warnings from the DIC out the ass.

Needless to say, had to wait for it to cool down and watch burnt coolant drip from the reservoir. COMPLETELY lost 4th gear, so I had to drive back from Virginia 450miles to NJ in 3rd only, pissing gas away the whole time. Took it in first thing monday, and the trans cooling system failed. Its being rebuilt (ALL under warranty thank god).

Long story short, kind of sucks seeing how it only has 16k on it. Watch your gauges carefully.

Enclosure
05\' Yellow Lux - BACK TO YELLOW BABY!!!
04 S55 Benz w/Brabus Tuning
Old 06-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Hummer Veteran

Leaving The Homestead (Resort in Virigina), the H2 trans started acting up. Next thing I know, I'm buried in the mountains and have a 300 degree trans temp and 260 degree engine coolant temp, warnings from the DIC out the ass.

Needless to say, had to wait for it to cool down and watch burnt coolant drip from the reservoir. COMPLETELY lost 4th gear, so I had to drive back from Virginia 450miles to NJ in 3rd only, pissing gas away the whole time. Took it in first thing monday, and the trans cooling system failed. Its being rebuilt (ALL under warranty thank god).

Long story short, kind of sucks seeing how it only has 16k on it. Watch your gauges carefully.

Enclosure
Old 06-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

Denny Crane is off the scale

Our 03 with 43K on it just burst a line in the radiator too.

All replaced under warranty even with a supercharger on it. Bill was easily 6K

Proof you can't own one of these without a warranty in your pocket.

Denny
Old 06-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
I've noticed that the tranny can get very hot, especially when off-road. I keep meaning to do something about it, maybe this will prompt me.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phil,
Are you planning preventative measures or a modification?

My Video Collectionez

Old 06-08-2005, 09:44 PM

Kevin B is off the scale

I wonder how long it will be before the "tranny" picture shows up .

I assume the line that failed was in the radiator?? Looks like you will get a coolant flush along with the trans. This is about the 5th one Ive heard of.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:53 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Phil, is there a possibility that you crimped a line or something. I have monitored mine while pulling a heavy trailer loaded both off road in 4low and 1st gear and then on the road for about 15 miles and it barely got above it's normal running temp.

I was thinking I was working the trans hard but it was for only about 45 minutes and again some of it was at about 35-40 MPH on the road (which would help in cooling).
Old 06-09-2005, 01:26 AM
Hummer Veteran

I wheel hard, and tow dirtbikes and waverunners, and my trans temp gauge NEVER NEVER NEVER went above 210, under any conditions. The line failure caused it to overheat, so be cautious, and....

SELL WHEN OUT OF WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or you'll be crying all the way from the bank to the dealer, and they'll be laughing.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

It appears to me you've never kept anything very
long anyhow.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Hummer Expert

GeorgeSSSS is off the scale

John:

Are you using the type of coolant that came with the vehicle? My 2005 (and I suspect yours) came with a special radiator coolant that you are not supposed to add water to. Maybe this has something to do with it.

Good Luck,

George SSSS
Black 2005 Adventure Series; factory touch screen GPS w/XM radio; factory express open/close sunroof; reclining second row seats; Warn 9.5ti Multi-Mount Winch; Gobi Stealth roof rack with PIAA lights; HotShot windshield washer fluid system
Old 06-09-2005, 07:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

JMVH2 is off the scale

My transmission used to ran at or around 200 all the time (on or off road) I changed the fluid to Amsoil full synthetic ATF on the transmission and T-case and full synthetic gear lube also from Amsoil on both differentials and full synthetic motor oil from Amsoil, now my transmission is running about at or around 180 off road and about 175 on road at 70-75 mph and 85-90 degrees weather, I assume the oil is doing a better job of dissipating heat This is my token on my H2.
"2003 Sage green LUX, wrapped around brush guard with off road lamps, roof mounted SMA light bar, AirAid Jr. kit, Delphi Touchscreen Navigation Radio with a 6 CD changer and more! Also a member of the HOPE (Hummer Owners Prepared for Emergencies) pro
Old 06-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

Other than washing it after offroading, all of my service is done at the dealer. I dont want to have any problems with them telling me you put the wrong fluid in. I have spare diff, radiator, powersteering fluids that I carry with me just in case, but have never needed to use them.

And you're right, i do go through them fast only becuase i put a lot of miles on them. 16k came in under 12months for this one.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:35 PM

BlingBlingH2 is off the scale

jo mang dem H2 trans mizzionz be ova heatn like a mug mang. you azz is best off selln dat SCAT box H2 or just flush ya'll dolla billz down da drain yo. ah skeet, skeet, motha fuvcker. suck it homoz.

Your POS H2 or H3 is nothing more then a rebadged GM Truck that \"LOOKS\" like a Hummer. Keep buyn dem overpriced POS GM (wanna be Hummer) trucks you idiots
Old 06-12-2005, 12:42 AM
Hummer Veteran

Denny Crane is off the scale

Bling Bling..... Keep standing just like that....

BBBBBBRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Full Auto rocks.

Problem solved, I now take you back to your local programming.

D. C.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

kdio is off the scale

I have alway had a problem with the motor and transmission running hot on warm days or climbing hills. I changed my thermostat to a 180 degree unit and added a aux. trans cooler with a fan. The engine now stays at 180 degrees unless it is above 90 degrees. The transmission runs 50 degrees cooler unless the temp is above 90.

I still feel there is a problem somewhere. I am going do a flow test on the radiator, to see if there is some blockage.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
Phil, is there a possibility that you crimped a line or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Here's a thought, you think the four 580's in front of my grille and the stone guard behind it, make any difference. I always thought not, but you never know... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not to sure I'd bank on that Phil. At the top you said the trans gets real hot when offroading so your depending on the fan to pull the air and cool the fluid. Of course you said it gets hot above 75, also. That could be a result of time maintained at that speed.

I'd be more concerned about the low speed heating and get that larger cooler with a dedicated fan.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:38 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kdio:
I have alway had a problem with the motor and transmission running hot on warm days or climbing hills. I changed my thermostat to a 180 degree unit and added a aux. trans cooler with a fan. The engine now stays at 180 degrees unless it is above 90 degrees. The transmission runs 50 degrees cooler unless the temp is above 90.

I still feel there is a problem somewhere. I am going do a flow test on the radiator, to see if there is some blockage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What kind of cooler did you go with and how many passes does it have?