H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 04-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

xonxoff is off the scale

After Waxing my H2 this morning, I noticed a crack in the windshield. It started below the molding and continued upwards. Anyone else had this problem? Mo signs of impact
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

xonxoff is off the scale

After Waxing my H2 this morning, I noticed a crack in the windshield. It started below the molding and continued upwards. Anyone else had this problem? Mo signs of impact
Old 04-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Hummer Veteran

xonxoff is off the scale

I had to go get my glasses, No sign of impact on the molding>
Old 04-10-2005, 05:31 PM

Salt Lake City HUMMER is off the scale

Is this the original windshield? I have found that the first one is weak for some odd reason. and with the windshield being so vertical it tends to catch everything. I think I'm going on # 6
Old 04-10-2005, 05:42 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Start looking for someone that will get you glass cheap! I went through three on my 03 in less tahn a year, and am ready for my two month old 05.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xonxoff:
I had to go get my glasses, No sign of impact on the molding> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>When I had mine replaced it had no sign of impact either and the crack started below the molding. The only reason I know it was a rock was I DUCKED when the bastard came at me. You know the other drivers were laughing when they saw some fool driving down the highway all-of-a-sudden BAIL under the dash. Makes me laugh at myself.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

xonxoff is off the scale

This is my first one. I guess I should feel lucky. Does warranty cover these? I was wondering if there was a bad prep on the install.
Thanks
Old 04-11-2005, 12:08 AM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's worth taking it to the dealer, and claiming it's a stress crack that began on the lower outer edge of the glass. If not, you insurance should cover the glass. I know mine is a $100 deductible, but I'm sure it varies per policy.

Good Luck!
Ric

P.S. If you don't plan on replacing it, have some one stop the run, by drilling and filling the crack. Until then, place a piece of clear vinyl repair tape on the ends of the cracks so they won't travel as fast!
Old 04-11-2005, 02:36 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a thread on this subject somewhere. One of my minion shall find it.

There are two stress points along the base of the windshield, if I remember correctly, and if you have a windshield replaced and those points aren't covered right the windshield is prone to crack.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:00 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTY's right. There are two rubber pieces that go on the bottom of the windshield at the two points.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2005, 03:17 AM

Jigga is off the scale

wow, i just had a crack appear in my windshield within the last week. Similar situation, it started from the molding, but from the top in my case. I'm going to investigate it closely, but it really doesn't look like I took on some rock damage. If indeed it is a "stress fracture" then warranty coverage is definatley in the discussion. Xonxoff, if you get anywhere with your windshield problem, let me know.

-Jigga
Old 04-11-2005, 03:24 AM
Hummer Messiah

Jigga, good luck. Mine started at the top under the molding also.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:08 AM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

We have seen some windshields come in with cracks starting below the lower moldings with no sign of impact. If so your dealership should warranty it. But beware, they will look it over good for the slightest sign of damage. If they find the slightest chip you can probably forget about it. Just be prepared to tell them that you've talked with other owners with similar problems and their dealerships warrantied it. That will put the pressure on them.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

xonxoff is off the scale

Thanks for all the posts, I talked to the dealer this morning.....Well they need to see it. I am going to go there next week. I will keep you posted. I have called hummer, they said they were not aware of any issues with the windshields, Maybe we should all call them to let them know that they might have a problem

Thanks again
Old 04-12-2005, 05:14 AM
Hummer Professional

wilfred is off the scale

Last summer, i was washing the rig. As soon as i rinsed water on the windshield, it cracked right in front of me. From the lower molding to the top within seconds I thought for sure it was a defective windshield because i couldn't find any stone chip. So i brought it to the dealer trying to get it fix under warranty. And the GM rep just happens to be there that day. First he look and couldn't find any visible damage then he used a ball point pen and traced the chip at the very bottom of the windshield, right on top of the lower molding Then told me sorry pal, can't cover it under warranty...

Also, beware dealer doesn't always use genuine GM parts. This dealer charged me $500+ (which i thought wasn't too bad at first for a genuine GM part and the fact it was the dealer so i expect to pay more) but when i pick up the H, the new windshield had a big old PPG logo right in the middle! Long story short, had them take it out and put a genuine GM windshield on it. Final bill was $900+
Old 04-13-2005, 02:14 AM

LasVegas is off the scale

There is a TSB on windshields that sounds like the exact scenario you all are describing. I'd take them to task if it were me. XONXOFF...your windshield crack is right where this TSB refers to. You need to refer to this when you go to the dealer.

Body - Windshield Replacement Precautions

Bulletin No.: 03-08-48-004

Date: August 01, 2003

INFORMATION
Subject:
Guidelines to Prevent Cracks in Replacement Windshields

Models:
2003 HUMMER H2

This bulletin is being issued to advise dealers regarding correct replacement of the windshield.

After removing the windshield, there will be two plastic blocks visible along the lower edge of the windshield opening, each located near the windshield wiper arm transmission spline. These blocks are assembly aids used only when installing the windshield at the plant. They must stay in place so as not to open a hole where they mount. However, upon installation of a replacement windshield, care must be taken to assure that the glass does not come in contact with the blocks.

After applying the urethane and positioning the windshield, leaving an air gap (3) of 1 mm (0.040 in) between the block (4) and the windshield (2), compress the urethane only as much as necessary. This will assure that the glass does not come into contact with the blocks. <span class="ev_code_RED">If contact is made with the block, body flexing may cause the replacement windshield to crack. Cracks along the bottom of the glass are an indication that the glass is contacting the blocks.</span>

Tape (1) the windshield in place. Do not remove the tape until the adhesive cures.
Important: When subletting a windshield replacement, provide a copy of this bulletin to the persons involved in the replacement.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2005, 02:26 AM
Hummer Messiah

That's interesting to see Jonahs. When mine was replaced the installer was VERY cautious and called his Super several times during the install. He was concerned about those blocks. It also took him many times longer to get it right.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:32 AM

LasVegas is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
That's interesting to see Jonahs. When mine was replaced the installer was VERY cautious and called his Super several times during the install. He was concerned about those blocks. It also took him many times longer to get it right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah. Although this TSB refers to "replacing" the windshield who's to say it wasn't installed incorrectly at the factory. That's my best guess anyway.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

xonxoff is off the scale

Well I took it to the dealer today and they are going to cover it under warranty. I was pleased about this. Mine was the first one they had seen do this.
Thanks for all the post
I was ready with some facts. I did call hummer and tell them about this problem.