H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 11-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

marius is on a distinguished road
Default Night Driver System and electrical questions

Hello all,

Does anybody have the Night Driver System installed ? Is it worth the $3k ?

Electrical questions:
I want to wire the top light bar to come on with the high beams. Does anybody know which wire I need to tap (color) and where it is located ?

Also, did the jumper wire mod for driving lights and now found a pair or 5" hallogen H3 55W lights that fit perfectly in the round openings (some custom brackets will need to be made, but not bad at all).

Is it safe to tap into the current harness on each side and splice in the new lights or should I run them through a relay because of amp draw and use the current wires for trigger ?

Is there anywhere under the dash a 12V connection that is "clean" enough for wiring a CD changer controller ? I did mine with the a tap on the fuse box and I get the engine whine in the radio. I tried a gound loop isolator and it did not help much. Need a clean source. Is there one ?

Thanks

Marius
Old 11-29-2006, 11:32 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Night Driver System and electrical questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by marius
Hello all,

Does anybody have the Night Driver System installed ? Is it worth the $3k ?

Electrical questions:
I want to wire the top light bar to come on with the high beams. Does anybody know which wire I need to tap (color) and where it is located ?

At the headlamp Lt green Black or Dk Green White (depending on side). I would use this as the power trigger circuit for a relay. I would not recommend connecting either of these directly to the lamps. They are on 10 amp fuses for one, the other is they are only 0.5 wires.

Also, did the jumper wire mod for driving lights and now found a pair or 5" hallogen H3 55W lights that fit perfectly in the round openings (some custom brackets will need to be made, but not bad at all).

Is it safe to tap into the current harness on each side and splice in the new lights or should I run them through a relay because of amp draw and use the current wires for trigger ? I would recommend a relay, just to play it safe. Not that high of amps, but I always believe in playing it safe.

Is there anywhere under the dash a 12V connection that is "clean" enough for wiring a CD changer controller ? I did mine with the a tap on the fuse box and I get the engine whine in the radio. I tried a gound loop isolator and it did not help much. Need a clean source. Is there one ?

Did you try a filter coil in the positive circuit?

Thanks

Marius

Old 11-30-2006, 12:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks. My specialty is Material Science not electrical circuits. Maybe you can help me. The top bar is installed right now with 2 relays ( 4 projectors) and is wired with a toggle switch. How exactly do I put the trigger in such a circuit ? I would tap the High beam hire and bring it to the relays. Then how do I go about figuring out which leg is the trigger ?

Marius
Old 11-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Hummer Guru

Ok, not familiar with the wiring on this setup, but someone else might be.
Where are the two relays located, are they in the light bar or under the hood? Are the bulbs high wattage? Possible the system is using two relays, rather than one large amp relay.

I can guess, but it is only a guess, and that doesn't help either of us.

Last edited by f5fstop : 11-30-2006 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:02 AM
Hummer Veteran

In theory, how do you wire a trigger ? Do you need to use a 3 position switch , or a regular toggle , 2 position ?

The light bar I have has 2 relays under the dash on the harness. The bulbs are 100W halogens, 4 of them. I believe each relay controls 2 bulbs.

Marius
Old 11-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Hummer Guru

There are four pins on a relay... (there can be more...some will have dual 87 pins, but since they split your system into two relays, I'm guessing there is only one pin 87)
Pin 86 is normally used the hot for the relay and is used for the "trigger" circuit from the high beam headlamp, through the switch, especially if the switch has an illumination light.
Pin 85 is the ground for the relay, and can in some cases go to the switch, with the other circuit from the switch going right to ground.
Pin 30 is your high amp circuit from B+ (should also include a fuse as close to the power source as possible)
Pin 87 goes to the lights.

If your system allows the lights to come on at all times, pin 86 is probably coming from an ignition source, and you could just install the headlamp High Beam trigger wire to these two inputs on the relays.

However, I do not actually know your wiring, again. I'm JUST guessing.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marius
In theory, how do you wire a trigger ? Do you need to use a 3 position switch , or a regular toggle , 2 position ?
Relays work just like a switch -- i.e., connecting a power source (battery or unused fuse in the fuse box) to appliance (lights).

Except the "switch" part is not a mechanical toggle, but an electrical one -- triggered by a current (ie., your high-beam circuit, oem DRLs, marker lights, etc.).

The advantage is the electric current going to your appliance does not affect the trigger. So you can have a larger current from battery to your new 55W DRLs, without being concerned of burning out the existing oem DRL wiring trigger.

Another advantage is, being electrical, the Trigger can be interrupted by another Trigger (e.g., a physical toggle switch), forming a logic.

E.g. --> DRL OFF --> Switch On/off --> New lights OFF
--> DRL ON --> Switch On --> New lights ON
--> DRL ON --> Switch Off --> New lights Off

I installed extra backup lights on my H2, and actually uses 2 relays to form this logic:

Marker Light OFF --> Reverse Light On/off --> Extra backup light OFF
Marker Light ON --> Reverse Light On --> Extra backup light ON
Marker Light ON --> Reverse Light Off --> Extra backup light Off

That way, when I'm reversing during the day, my extra backup lights will NOT turn on (since the marker lights only turn on at nighttime).

Obviously, your power source could also be additionally controled, either by a (yet another) switch, or if your appliance uses low power -- by tapping existing oem circuits -- which could either be Always-On, Ignition-only-On, or RAP.

Make sense?

Last edited by H2Finally : 11-30-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:13 AM
Hummer Veteran

Perfect sense and got it done this afternoon. Installed the 5" fogs in place of the driving lights with another relay and separate harness but triggered by the factory relay.

Also got the tap in the high beam circuit fed to the relay and now I can have the roof spots with the high beam or just turn them on when I want manually from the switch.

Thanks for all your help, the ones that answered the plea

Now, what about that Night Driver system with thermal imaging ? Any thoughts ?

Marius
Old 12-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

emeldahay is on a distinguished road

Anyone have a pic of these installed on the dash?

Been looking for good pics but the promo pics dont show what to really expect.

Anyone ?