H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-01-2003, 12:40 PM
Hummer Professional

Joe is off the scale

Has anyone just painted there rims?

I have a second set of OEM rims and just ordered Goddyear 37MTR's. I was originally thinking about powder coating the rims black but started thinking since the 37's will be used for off-roading would it be possible to just paint the rims black. Sure it won't be as clean but I'm thinking why incur the cost of Powder Coating and the possibility of scratching the coating off.

Any thoughts? Anyone try painting? Which type of paint?

Thanks in advance.

2003 H2

Homepage:
http://www.hummerh1.net
Old 07-01-2003, 12:40 PM
Hummer Professional

Joe is off the scale

Has anyone just painted there rims?

I have a second set of OEM rims and just ordered Goddyear 37MTR's. I was originally thinking about powder coating the rims black but started thinking since the 37's will be used for off-roading would it be possible to just paint the rims black. Sure it won't be as clean but I'm thinking why incur the cost of Powder Coating and the possibility of scratching the coating off.

Any thoughts? Anyone try painting? Which type of paint?

Thanks in advance.

2003 H2

Homepage:
Old 07-01-2003, 01:21 PM

Grim_Smoker is off the scale

Joe believe it or not, powder coating is pretty durable, depending upon who does it and how it's done of course. Being a paintball fanatic and owning lots of guns, I really don't like anodized finishes or painted finishes all too much anymore because they scratch so easily. All my powder coat guns still look nice and new, no scratches, no dimples, etc. I know I'm talking about paintball guns and not wheels, but my point is powder coating is pretty tough, and shouldn't run you that much.

-Grim

2003 Sunset Metalic Orange H2 - Breathless Stage 2B, HID's, Gobi Rack & Ladder.

2003 Millenium Yellow Z06

2003 Millenium Yellow Z06
Old 07-03-2003, 12:57 PM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

I saw this post somewhere before.
But do you take the rims in one by one. or do you take the whole truck in and they do it while the rims are on the truck.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh no, you have to park the H2 in the street in front of your house and put it up on cinder blocks for a few days while your rims all get painted at once.

- Dan

-------------------------------------------
SUT on order since 12/02 - 11 months to go!
-------------------------------------------
Old 07-03-2003, 03:40 PM
Hummer Professional

Joe is off the scale

Luckily I have a second set of rims so I don't face this challenge. Bigger issue is finding someone that does Powder Coating. Still thinking it would be easier just to spray paint them...

2003 H2

Homepage:
Old 07-04-2003, 04:10 AM

Psmoove is off the scale

USA Wheels of Fairfield NJ does powdercoating. I had my Porsche Rims, straightened, refinished, and eliminated curb rash. I am considering getting my escalade rims dipped in chrome and getting my multi-spoked porsche rims powdercoated black. E-mail me at Psnag1@aol.com if you are interested. We can get a group deal or something like that.

Preeth
Old 07-04-2003, 12:13 PM
Hummer Professional

Joe is off the scale

Well I found a place that Powder Coats and they want $125 per rim. Ouch!, not sure what I expected but now I'm really leaning towards cheaping out and either not doing anything at all or painting black. Heck there for off-roading and I'm not really sure I care what they look like. Ok, maybe a little but not $500 worth, plus I have a spare.

Preeth, thanks for the info. Based on cost I think I am going to pass.

2003 H2

Homepage:
Old 07-04-2003, 01:26 PM

Psmoove is off the scale

Cool deal. You are right that they are not worth it just for offroading. But you have to admit H2s look so bad ass w/black rims. I myself am not a fan of rims, but i prefer mobile video--navigation, dvd playback, sound. Im an audiophile, so w/my money i go w/audio. A reason i didnt get the H2===i would spend way too much ca$h on making it the baddest ass h2 in the world.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:35 AM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Albie:
I saw this post somewhere before.
But do you take the rims in one by one. or do you take the whole truck in and they do it while the rims are on the truck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Once again how do I solve this dilemma
Old 08-16-2005, 02:49 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

If You only need them for off road and can change them out for when You want to run around on the pavement for a long stretch You can paint them even with a spray can and make it look good if You have any experience with painting anything from kids toys to rusty chairs.
You have to etch the aluminum with a special product that i will need to get the name of it but, then prime it and paint it. The etching is absolutely neccessary if You want the primer and paint to stay on and not peel or flake off. It will not be scratch proof but, a do it Yourself can run them awhile and then buy Yourself a small personal bead blaster or sand blaster clean them off and start over again without the etching the next time. You can touch them up with the paint if small scratches and very fine wet sanding.
I do not do it as I BLNG HEAVILY but, on My 2nd H2 for daily driving if I color rims, this is how I'm going to do it. We have Pro's who could do it but, they cost allot even for Me and My partner who takes care of paying them. They did not think I was that smart.
But seriuosly just use flat black high quality paint and do it in 3 to 4 coats with allot of drying in between and it will look almost like You powdercoated.
Seen it done and it looks great and really does work.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 08-20-2005, 01:56 AM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Albie:
Once again how do I solve this dilemma </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you don't paint one wheel at a time at home, you'll need a spare set of tire and wheels. The alternative is way too complicated.

Towbin might have a set you can borrow. If they don't, I do.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:53 PM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:

Towbin might have a set you can borrow. If they don't, I do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hummm I will check with Towbin but atleast I have a fall back plan Thanks Rod