H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-27-2005, 01:43 PM
Hummer Professional

Ernie Italy is off the scale

Merry xmas !!!
Yesterday, I had a little problem. Descending a hill 10-15% incline on pavement , I need to use brake more and more...
in 1st to much slow and oil temperature go high...in 2nd to much faster and speed increase (the oil temperature decrease immediatly)...
What happen ?

thanks to all
Old 12-27-2005, 01:43 PM
Hummer Professional

Ernie Italy is off the scale

Merry xmas !!!
Yesterday, I had a little problem. Descending a hill 10-15% incline on pavement , I need to use brake more and more...
in 1st to much slow and oil temperature go high...in 2nd to much faster and speed increase (the oil temperature decrease immediatly)...
What happen ?

thanks to all
Old 12-27-2005, 04:48 PM

Hart1 is off the scale

There is a school of thought about which is better for your vehicle, braking or engine braking. Some say it is less expensive to replace your brake pads/lining than to replace transmission parts.

There seems to be some logic to this, so I use my brakes more downhill than engine braking.

PhilD, your thoughts on this would be welcomed...
Old 12-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Hummer Authority

ShaggyX is an unknown quantity at this point

Hart1...I am far from an expert (most anyone here would agree to that)...but I would agree with you. Engine/Transmittion is more designed for aceleration (sp?), brakes are designed for deceleration...I would rather use brakes to slow down then my engine...as long as there is no risk of over heating the brakes and them failing. That would be bad.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:23 PM

Hart1 is off the scale

Thanks you two. Good information....

I can relate about conditions in Colorado. I remember going down a large grade outside of Denver. It seemed to go on forever (at one point, we went into a tunnel). Winter, with all the ice, must be a challenge too...
Old 12-27-2005, 06:13 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alec W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
I rarely attempt to use engine braking while off-road it is just not controlled enough, although there occasions that I'll shift into 1st and Lo "just in case". Use the brakes, the pads last forever these days anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
On those death declines and drop offs in Moab I use both the engine and the breaks. Screw the cost </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's only deadly if you're in front of Phil's unstopable monster...

Oh great, just realized next Moab, I need to watch out for TWO unstopable monsters...
Old 12-27-2005, 06:39 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ShaggyZr2:
Hart1...I am far from an expert (most anyone here would agree to that)...but I would agree with you. Engine/Transmittion is more designed for aceleration (sp?), brakes are designed for deceleration...I would rather use brakes to slow down then my engine...as long as there is no risk of over heating the brakes and them failing. That would be bad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What? You wouldn't fix either if they broke anyhow.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:42 PM
Hummer Expert

Dug is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alec W:
In the trucking world you are taught to use the breaks vs. the engine because they are cheaper to replace. The exceptions are steep inclines where the breaks could overheat (also trucks have other forms of breaks like muffler and magnetic). In general it’s hard to overheat the breaks on a regular SUV, I once managed to do this on my Suburban driving down Pikes Peek in Colorado but that’s not really normal driving conditions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What trucking world are you refering to? All truck drivers are using the engine to decelerate. You always downshift coming to a stop and use the engines compression as help. Heavy trucks overheat the brakes and fade quickly, not to mention braking reduces the air pressure. I'm just talking 18 wheelers here . As far as suv's , i use all the engine braking i can before i use the brakes . But i believe riding the brakes is some peoples preference and theres nothing the matter with that either.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:11 PM
Hummer Expert

Dug is off the scale

phil, i agree fully. I just use the engine at high speeds, like exiting the turnpike and having to slow for a off ramp . I shift from overdrive down to drive. Or pulling the camper I down shift on desecnts. Probably blow the thing up , but its just habit to for me to use the engine before brake .
Old 12-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Hummer Expert

Dug is off the scale

ALec , i understand where your coming from now about not over stressing the engines limits . I just didnt see that in your first post. And i see you have driven truck and know what your talking about. I also own some trucks and we move heavy and wide loads.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:21 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dug3x3:
phil, i agree fully. I just use the engine at high speeds, like exiting the turnpike and having to slow for a off ramp . I shift from overdrive down to drive. Or pulling the camper I down shift on desecnts. Probably blow the thing up , but its just habit to for me to use the engine before brake . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>x2

I go to "3" twice almost daily (a hill is between home and work). So far no prob on engine, and had to replace break pads only once in 37K. The "3" will slow me down below 60 without brakes.

Phil, on a "regular" H2, the "1" setting does a LOT in stopping you on the way down very steep inclines. I use them all the time in Moab, especially after watching that freefall Jeep () off Lion's Back.