H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 09-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Hummer Novice

infantryhummer is on a distinguished road
Default newbie in the looking

I am sure you guys have seen millions of threads on people asking about features on the H3. Im in the process of buying a H3 but im sure it will be at least Jan. before I take the plunge. Ive read alot on them because I dont want to do like my last vehicles and jump the gun not knowing information about them.

How is the driving on road? I live in the country so their is alot of roads with pot holes and just roads that just need to be improved....my jeep wrangler was like a rollercoast on these roads that is the main reason its sold.( I know their is no comparrison between them).

My second question is im not into rock climbing or mud, so do i REALLY need the adventure package or would the base package do just fine. Only kind of work this H3 will be getting other than on road driving is pulling my ski boat about 10 miles down the road.

Last question is I kind of like the manual could someone give me info on how theirs performs being a manual? If not mistakin don't manuals get better gas mileage
Old 09-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: newbie in the looking

I have a base unit and it does just fine off road. the Adv pack is not needed for casual off-roading or dirt roads. if you deal with a ton of mud or Ice the locker on the Adv. is very helpfull. Soft smooth ride with plenty of comfort for the fam. can't pull a bunch so go drive before you buy.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Hummer Novice

infantryhummer is on a distinguished road

hey thanks for all the information. I had a jeep wrangler sport with the I6 but it was lifted and 33" tires (CRAPPY power because the gears needed to be swapped) but even it pulled my boat with minor struggle. Plus its on a tandem axle trailer with brakes so my main questions you answered because im sure it could pull my boat just fine.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

You may not be into rockclimbing and mud now. But once you start, you won't be able to stop. It's like crack....don't start if you don't wanna get hooked.

Get the adventure package......trust me on this

I don't think the mileage on a manual will make up for it being a pain in the ass in traffic. Besides, stick shifts are for hot rods. Automatics are much nicer, and more comfortable.

But then again, that just what I think....my .02

Last edited by HummBebe : 09-05-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:56 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Get the Adventure Package you wont be sorry.

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 09-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Short answer ... unless you absolutely love manual shifting and absolutely hate going offroad, get the automatic on the adventure package.

Long answer ... the 5-speed has several advantages over the auto ... lower 1st gear ratio, cooler transmission temps, 1 mpg more than auto, better road feel, and more control for passing or going uphill. I also think the 5-spd is a better match for the 2006 engine, but that's less true with the new one.

But the auto has lots of advantages too ... easier in traffic, one less thing to worry about when 4-wheeling, no embarrassing gear grind when you miss a shift (not that I ever do that ), no rolling backwards when starting on a hill, and higher tow rating (4500 or 5000 lbs instead of 3000).

As for road feel, the base H3 seemed to soak up the bumps a little better than the adventure package, but not by much.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale

I bought the lux, non-adventure, but I wish I would have got the adv. package too. The shock dampening is a little different in the adv. pkg. - so ride in both to make sure the ride is good for you.

I have the auto - can't answer what is the better tranny just that the auto is rated to tow more.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:20 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Adventure or off-road package is a must in my opinion. Not just for the lower geared t/case or the locking axle, but for the better rubber on the rims.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:05 AM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Adventure or off-road package is a must in my opinion. Not just for the lower geared t/case or the locking axle, but for the better rubber on the rims.

Cheap upgrade!
Old 09-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Hummer Professional

H3PAC is on a distinguished road

I have the luxury package with the off-road suspension package option. I find the ride just fine - a tad stiff with a light load, but I like that (so does my wife but let's not go there). With the off-road or adventure option, in additon to the locker, gear ratio, shocks, etc., you get a light truck rated tire instead of a passenger car tire which is superior. As far as auto vs manual trans, well, I think some of the hard-core, extreme off-road folks realize an advantage, but in your case, why would you want to row a boat all day? I've driven both over the years and must have been young, energetic and dumb when I bought a brand new pickup truck with a stick and drove it around the hills of San Francisco in traffic. Now I'm old, lazy, fat and a legend in my own mind. Oh, and to realize any fuel economy advantage in a manual trans, you have to nail your gear selection and shift timing for the optimum power/economy combination - not very likely. I think if you get a manual trans, there's an idiot light to help you shift, but it still leaves things up to you. I'd rather let the engineers do that for me. Happy shopping!
Old 09-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Hummer Expert

blindzebra is an unknown quantity at this point

i own an adventure 5 spd. I would definitely get the adventure package if I were you. Like beebs said, it is addicting when you see what your truck does with so much ease. Not to mention it can be a dealbreaker when you go to resell. As far as the 5 spd, I really like it. People talk about thetruck really struggling on the road, but I find with the manual havign that control really does make a big difference. The crawl ratio in 4lo 1st is just amazing with the manual. I think shifting is a small price to pay with the advantages it gives in this truck.