H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

flyin6 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SUT mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp
Sorry, I got confused & thought you wanted this: http://cognitomotorsports.com/store/page36.html

No problem.
I will, however, add that UCA to whatever kit I buy. That way I get both increased gound clearance amd increased travel. From what I can see, all these lift kits do is just what the name says. They do not increase suspension travel which is FAR more important. All you could do is safely get into a little deeper water with just a lift kit.
01 SAS Supercharged Tundra
Old 07-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Hummer Authority

tomp is an unknown quantity at this point

Our main goal should be to get the "tallest" tire we can fit in there without rubbing. Wider tires are nice for increased traction, but can limit flex/travel when you get into a situation where they hit the outer fender etc. I don't care much for a 6" lift - just to go up another 1/2" or so in tire size and at the same time raises the center of gravity

Personally, I am just going to tweak the stock setup as far as it will go to keep the factory warranty and get 37s underneath
Old 07-23-2007, 05:36 AM
Hummer Authority

Alan06SUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKLYNH2
Oops, totally forgot the SUT factor when I recommended the ladder. I climb up onto my rack a lot (SUV) and therfore can't imagine not having one.

On an SUT you climb on the tire, jump on the bed rack and jump on the roof, or go from open tailgate to bed rack to roof rack. Its probably even easier that climbing the ladder.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:45 AM
Hummer Authority

I keep my 35's on for the street and most weekend 4x4 use. I used to keep my 37's on for the street but they make more noise, and wear down quick compared to an A/T. When I go to an offraoding event I switch to the 37's. I still have not done anything w/ the 37's I couldnt do w/ the stock 35's, but its just easiers w/ the 37's and I dont bottom out so often.
I have never seen a lifted H2 conquer anything a stock height H2 couldnt but, I have seen/heard of many of them breaking...(more often than non-lifted H2's) if they are wheeled hard. IMO they are mostly for "looks". The cognito stuff seems very practical but I havent used it execpt for the pittman/idler kit that I have which works well. They seem to truly understand the GM IFS.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Hummer Veteran

flyin6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan06SUT
I keep my 35's on for the street and most weekend 4x4 use. I used to keep my 37's on for the street but they make more noise, and wear down quick compared to an A/T. When I go to an offraoding event I switch to the 37's. I still have not done anything w/ the 37's I couldnt do w/ the stock 35's, but its just easiers w/ the 37's and I dont bottom out so often.
I have never seen a lifted H2 conquer anything a stock height H2 couldnt but, I have seen/heard of many of them breaking...(more often than non-lifted H2's) if they are wheeled hard. IMO they are mostly for "looks". The cognito stuff seems very practical but I havent used it execpt for the pittman/idler kit that I have which works well. They seem to truly understand the GM IFS.

You sound like you know 4-wheeling

I must admit I want the lift about 50% just for the looks factor. I appreciate the added ground clearance of the rockers, but I would trade increased travel for lift any day of the week.

Perhaps the cognito UCA's and torsion bar keys with longer shocks might the be the best compromise out there.

Good discussion.
01 SAS Supercharged Tundra
Old 07-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Hummer Authority

I agree, I am very tempted to try the cognito kit, but so far so good with the stock config and 37's on the trail, and back to 35's on the street. If I notice I am wearing out ball joints, or steering components, I may give it a shot, but I try to stick to the "if it aint broke dont fix it" motto. I was wearing out pittman idler arms before the cognito kit, and so far they have held up since.

As for looks, they definatley suffer when I put the 35's back on. No question! I am more 75% function 25% looks, so I just deal with it...barely! IMO a H2 with 37's and a two inch lift would look perfect! The cognito kit may just provide that look (along with true function). I don't know about out back though. I'm sure some spring spacers or modified air bags could level it out.