H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finally ordered new tires...

After almost 45K miles on my TOYO Open Country 38-15.5/20's, it's gonna be time for new ones.

I've still probably got another 3-4K miles left in them but I wanted to try another set of Mickey Thompson MTZ's. I had purchased a set for a Yukon I had but sold the truck with only a couple of thousand miles on the tires.

I wanted to buy the MTZ's but they've been on backorder and still are.

Fortunately I found a set in Texas and for 100 bucks, they'll ship them here. I've read nothing bad about them and though my Toyo's are great, they suck in the snow and ice. (I live in NC, ain't much of that here anyways...lol)

I bought the MTZ's for 414 each, though I only paid 330 for the Toyo's, they're now in the 550 range.... big jump.

Anyway, let ya'll know how they work out when they get here next week.

Mark
Old 03-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale
Default Re: Finally ordered new tires...

Hey Orange!!

I have interest in those tires as well. Please update with pics right away. You should be able to have a ride and drive feel fairly quickly so let me know on that also. I have wondered about noise level.

Thanks Orange for follow ups on the tires.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 03-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

TRUBRIT is on a distinguished road

I am suprised to hear that the Toyos suck in the Snow and Ice. The write ups and reviews say they are better than the stock BFG's, which people say are also good in the snow and ice. I am looking at the Toyos as a replacement. Not that I have to deal with any snow here in the Sunshine State, but I will be moving to Boone in NC. Can you give any details how they failed for you? Thick snow, steep hills, etc?
Old 03-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to NC (when you get here...) I'm in Charlotte area and routinely cruise up to Boone and Asheville cause I like the mountains.... especially when it snows.

I read tons of reviews and the one common denominator was the Toyo's sucked in the snow and ice. Obviously no tire unless they are studded is going to do well in the ice but I did like the Toyo's in the snow. (contrary to what I had read about them)

Also, keep in mind, the Toyo's "sucking in the snow and ice" just means that they didn't perform as well as they did on pavement, rocks, sand, mud, etc, etc....

If you do a review search, you'll see that area is it's weak points. Since I don't drive much in ice (twice in 2-3 years) I thought the tires were great.

Like I said, I've got 45K on them now...pretty impressive to me for big truck tires (as opposed to my Super Swampers that fetched 12K four different times)

I've read not one thing bad about the Mickey Thompsons so I thought I would try some again.

I'll let ya'll know how they do. I'm at Nags Head today and will be driving on the beach. We'll see how an almost worn set of Toyo's works...lol.

Mark
Old 03-28-2008, 01:36 AM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

I too was surprised to find how lame my Toyo open country mt tires were in the snow ,but they sure are nice on the road and in the mud .
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-28-2008, 05:32 AM
Hummer Expert

Tex_h2 is on a distinguished road

I've got a set of Toyo's A/T and I think there better in the sand and Mud then the BFG's
Old 03-28-2008, 06:51 AM
Hummer Veteran

kdio is off the scale

I got 45,000 miles out of my Goodyear MTRs. I also wanted to try something different this time and went with Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. I have only had them on a short time, but so far I am very happy with them. The tread is much more aggressive, so I do not think they are going to last 45,000 miles. They are pretty quiet too, which surprised me. Tried them out on our annual Hummer Snow run a couple of weeks ago and they performed better than the MTRs.